Teen with Asp. that has a problem with pathological lying

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Does your asperger's teen have a problem with lying?
yes 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
no 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

Antigonepain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Sep 2014, 4:51 pm

My 14 year old step-daughter has become a pathological liar. She lies about EVERYTHING. Mostly it's stuff (I think) to make her self feel knowledgeable. For instance in a conversation about tattoos it came up that tattoos on your rib cage hurt the most. She agreed and said that she knows people that are covered in tattoos that can't get the ones over their rib cages finished because it hurts so bad. When I asked her who she knows that is covered in tattoos she said "people that she has run into" when I asked her where in the world she was running into peopled covered in tattoos that she just chats up she said "Walmart".
But there are bigger lies too. She recently place in an in-patient mental hospital by her mom and when she got out all she could talk about were the rapists and murderers that she had become friends with so they wouldn't rape and kill her.
This is just couple of instances but there are many many more. How in the world do I help her out with this? Has anyone had a similar experience? Keep in mind that I am just step-mom and as it stands we only get to see her 4 days a month...

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 5:06 pm

Just about ALL teens are incredible liars, NT or aspie. When I was a teen myself I can't say I never lied, but I wasn't good at it and I hated it, and I still do. But other teens in school loved to lie to me. For example this one girl told us the night before she saw a bunch of cartoon specials with Garfield and Roger Rabbit that I knew didn't exist and she was just saying those things because of my unusual interests in Garfield and Roger Rabbit back then. The boys at school would point at their friends and say "he wants to go out with you", but that wasn't true no one wanted to go out with a fat, ugly loser like me and they were saying it because they were morons. They also would scream out that I had AIDS. Since I couldn't tell if someone was trustworthy I learned not to trust anyone at at school.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 7:25 pm

Antigonepain wrote:
My 14 year old step-daughter has become a pathological liar. She lies about EVERYTHING. Mostly it's stuff (I think) to make her self feel knowledgeable. For instance in a conversation about tattoos it came up that tattoos on your rib cage hurt the most. She agreed and said that she knows people that are covered in tattoos that can't get the ones over their rib cages finished because it hurts so bad. When I asked her who she knows that is covered in tattoos she said "people that she has run into" when I asked her where in the world she was running into peopled covered in tattoos that she just chats up she said "Walmart".
But there are bigger lies too. She recently place in an in-patient mental hospital by her mom and when she got out all she could talk about were the rapists and murderers that she had become friends with so they wouldn't rape and kill her.
This is just couple of instances but there are many many more. How in the world do I help her out with this? Has anyone had a similar experience? Keep in mind that I am just step-mom and as it stands we only get to see her 4 days a month...

ROFLMAO! Yay! omg she's just having some fun being "odd" or "tough" or some playful "drama." She's growing up.
These "lies" (creativity!!) seem pretty darn harmless, just a bit of shock factor to participate in a conversation or a bit of harmless attn seeking.

I've known a number of teen girls (raised three) and this is pretty standard.
She just wants to 'play too' during (grown up?) conversations and have something interesting to contribute. It's definitely interesting stuff, right? =)
It's probably just the leading edge of an excellent (and safe!) desire to experience new places and things, like the desire to travel.

After all she's not calling in bomb threats. These are not lies that are causing people to do extreme things.
It certainly doesn't rise to the level of Pathological!  (does a lil "drama" runs in somebody's family?)  =)

Her family has been destroyed, she needs attn and caring but not little girl style.
Just take it in stride, "Boy, that is a good idea to make friends with killers, especially if you need someone else killed. Hmmm, I'm sure I could think of someone. Oh well, no, never mind, I shouldn't..." =)
Because actually it kinda was a pretty good idea.

You only get four days, just talk to her like she's a happy "biker grown-up." Yes, play along. Don't give her booze or cigarettes, maybe let her have coffee.

You're a step-mom, there ain't jacksh*t you could do anyway.
Might as well enjoy it. It's sure to be good for a few laughs! =)

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 7:31 pm

1401b wrote:
Antigonepain wrote:

ROFLMAO! Yay! omg she's just having some fun being "odd" or "tough" or some playful "drama." She's growing up.
These "lies" (creativity!!) seem pretty darn harmless, just a bit of shock factor to participate in a conversation or a bit of harmless attn seeking.

I've known a number of teen girls (raised three) and this is pretty standard.
She just wants to 'play too' during (grown up?) conversations and have something interesting to contribute. It's definitely interesting stuff, right? =)
It's probably just the leading edge of an excellent (and safe!) desire to experience new places and things, like the desire to travel.

After all she's not calling in bomb threats. These are not lies that are causing people to do extreme things.
It certainly doesn't rise to the level of Pathological!  (does a lil "drama" runs in somebody's family?)  =)

Her family has been destroyed, she needs attn and caring but not little girl style.
Just take it in stride, "Boy, that is a good idea to make friends with killers, especially if you need someone else killed. Hmmm, I'm sure I could think of someone. Oh well, no, never mind, I shouldn't..." =)
Because actually it kinda was a pretty good idea.

You only get four days, just talk to her like she's a happy "biker grown-up." Yes, play along. Don't give her booze or cigarettes, maybe let her have coffee.

You're a step-mom, there ain't jacksh*t you could do anyway.
Might as well enjoy it. It's sure to be good for a few laughs! =)

Agreed;this is playful, comfortable, harmless behavior reported.