How many parents have taken the Aspie quiz ?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2007, 11:02 am

Your Aspie score: 149 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

I have also been told there's no way I can have AS b/c I'm so friendly and easy to talk to. Uh yeah, I've had 30 years to learn how to "act normal" as I've always called it. I'm not an idiot, I've gotten good at it. Doesn't mean it comes naturally or doesn't take a toll on me.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 11:18 am

That's what I told my doctor. Just because I can look someone in the eye doesn't mean it comes naturally. It took a few years to figure out how long you should look someone in the eye before it looks like staring 8O (staring not shocked)

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2007, 12:33 pm

Yeah, I went through college finally looking at people and then people were always telling me to quit staring or asking me what I was staring at. Just can't seem to get it quite right. But I'm good enough now that people don't notice it right away. :)

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 3:30 pm

Thanks for the observation. No offense taken. I am an English teacher--this doesn't help matters.

Wether I'm aspie or not, I don't know...but I do get stuck on things and have a difficult time moving past, stopping conversation, elaboration (include too much info) in writing, too.

I am analytical--too much so sometimes. I overthink an issue, say what I feel (can't help it) have always hated small talk unless it's significant and honest, ...and I can't cook...just burned the pasta. lol.

thanks for the feedback sorry for the criticism--I'm really not that perfect.

equinn

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 4:18 pm

equinn wrote:
Thanks for the observation. No offense taken. I am an English teacher--this doesn't help matters.

Wether I'm aspie or not, I don't know...but I do get stuck on things and have a difficult time moving past, stopping conversation, elaboration (include too much info) in writing, too.

I am analytical--too much so sometimes. I overthink an issue, say what I feel (can't help it) have always hated small talk unless it's significant and honest, ...and I can't cook...just burned the pasta. lol.

thanks for the feedback sorry for the criticism--I'm really not that perfect.

equinn

No problems! Being an English Teacher would definitely not help matters! :)

I think it takes a special type of person to be an English Teacher! I find that most English Teachers seem to have very similar "personality traits" that I am sure is what makes them good English Teachers!

There is a term in the medical community called "shadow syndrome" which is where a family member of someone with a condition has much of the same traits or symptoms, but falls short of a DX themselves. I think with AS, one of the main DX criteria is that the persons "quirks" actually cause a marked "impairment". If you feel that your "quirks" have not significantly impaired your life or your relationships with others, then you would not have AS, even if you do have some of the personality markers for it!

I'll try running my posts threw a spell checker at least from now on! :) I do have a diagnosed LD that grossly affects my spelling however, it isn't that I am just plain "careless" or "sloppy"! The only thing I may be is a little lazy in not using my Spell Checker when I should! :D

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 4:31 pm

don't bother with the spell check. poor spellers are poor spellers. I keep a dictionary and thesaurus handy at all time when I'm writing. I am particular with words and usage.

I like the content (engish/writing) but the teaching end of it is tough (behavioral issues...I'm in a tough school). It is nice to revisit shakespeare and the greats every day and get paid for it, yes.

have a nice day.

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:32 pm

There is no point for me really bothering with a dictonary, I don't know what words are wrong 1/2 the time, and the rest of the time, I would be checking words constantly that have no misspellings, and then others slip by me left right and centre!

My son is the same way, we are working with word prediction software now and it is great! I am also teaching him to use a thesaurus too, I know what you mean about finding the "right" word.

What grade to you teach?

Jessrn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2007, 7:48 pm

I am neurotypical- my aspie score: 93/200, neurotypical score 143/200-not really a surprise

My husband doesn't fall into either category: aspie score: 127/200, neurotypical score 102/200.

I was actully surprised by this, I would have thought him more aspie.

QueenAuntB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2007, 8:18 am

I had started on this site for answers on helping my son and thought maybe I should take the quiz. My score 136/200 ASP & 90/200 NT. "Most likely ASP".

Now what do I do with this information? Do I go to my Dr and ask for diagnosis? And what about my 10 yr old, do I ask him to take the quiz and talk with his doctor? In both situations of talking to the doctors, I fear of being considered having an overactive mind and just blown off.

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 3:40 pm

QueenAuntB wrote:
I had started on this site for answers on helping my son and thought maybe I should take the quiz. My score 136/200 ASP & 90/200 NT. "Most likely ASP".

Now what do I do with this information? Do I go to my Dr and ask for diagnosis? And what about my 10 yr old, do I ask him to take the quiz and talk with his doctor? In both situations of talking to the doctors, I fear of being considered having an overactive mind and just blown off.

I think it is possible to have an AS personality and not actually have AS. Generally the key diagnostic criteria is to not only have the AS personality traits / preferences, but also show a marked impairment in functioning day to day. That is something that really does not come through with the online tests. I would never ever go to a doctore and say "I scored this on an aspie test, I think I have AS!" If you want to persue a DX for yourself or your son, you need to look over the DSM IV criteria and see how they relate to you or your son. If you think there is a benifit to you or for your son to have a DX, then go talk to a doctor, otherwise there is no "manditory aspie reporting desk!" Life goes on!

In talking to a doctor, mention the actual things that your son does that makes you think he is AS, not what the test says! Although some of the questions may remind you or help you identify certain "quirks" that he has that are relavent!"

QueenAuntB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2007, 8:02 pm

Thank you for the response, EC. It shows that I have alot of studying to do.
Bottom line, I think as most parents want, the happiness of my son is most important. And if there was something that causes him pain, I want to do all that I can to help.

For my family, I have had teachers raise concerns and I just didn't know how / in what way to respond. I have talked to his doctor each time there was a concern, even went to a child psychiatrist last fall based on school recommendation/requirement. All clear. However, I am concerned.

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:06 pm

I would seek out a DX for him then. My son saw a child psychiatrist too, and I have heard of other children also seeing one and not getting an AS label, for whatever reason the doctor just does not figure it out, or does not know much about it!

I would ask for a referal to an AS clinic or a doctor knowledgeble about AS. Definately voice your concerns, as your son is still struggling and it is affecting his quality of life!

Have you reviewed the DSM IV? What stage are you at, thinking it might be Aspergers, or knowing it is? If you want to, a lot of parents here know a fair amount, and can give you some idea if it may be AS or not or what else you may need to look at if you give us some more info about your son!

QueenAuntB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2007, 10:32 pm

Thanks again. I am not familiar with DSM IV. Is it easy to find under a google search or would you recommend a preferred site in which I should visit? At this stage I am only researching, so I do not know what could be the root cause of his discomfort.

In response to your nice offer, I can give a short wording of what is going on. Examples of issues start with preschool. He would appear to ignore direction. He would not respond when asked to do a simple task. I took this to mean he just wanted to do his own thing, didn't like authority. No biggie, I could understand that. But, the Director of his preschool, who studies child behaviours and the like, gave me a scare. She said if she didn't know him better, she would have thought he was autistic. Move on to elementary. He regularly would have accidents in his pants. And did not seem at all bothered. Up until 4th grade (this year), he would be sent to the Nurses office. Whenever I would ask what he was doing when this occured, how did he feel, did he ask to go the bathroom, etc., he would just say he didn't know why. It came down to him not wanting to leave whatever it was he was doing or he didn't want to bother his teacher. He also was in trouble with teachers for calling out inappropriately during class, throwing himself on the floor (even in the boys bathroom, ugh!), spinning in circles on his back and laughing. Standing and then jumping from chairs. Licking other kids. Now, in 4th grade, he is getting picked on. Yes, he does wear his clothes funny. No matter how much I ask him to pick up his shorts to keep from "smiling" (when seen from behind), or lower his shorts so they didn't ride so high, etc., he doesn't care what he looks like. I guess I just thought, he must be confident - more power to him? However, we did/do need to help him dress for quite some time. Simply put, he is socially awkward. He doesn't seem to get the normal cues from others. He is overeager to be friends even at his expense of being picked on. The bottom line is if there was a cause for this rather than just being a case of being a little different, I would feel like I truly let him down if I did not find ways for him to feel better and grow up comfortable in his own skin.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 10:48 pm

EarthCalling wrote:
I think it is possible to have an AS personality and not actually have AS. Generally the key diagnostic criteria is to not only have the AS personality traits / preferences, but also show a marked impairment in functioning day to day.

I agree totally. Those who learn to cope best, or who happen to be having a good day when they see a diagnostician, won't *officially* be aspies, no matter how many aspie traits they have. Strictly categorizing it as a disability really screws things up.

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2007, 1:37 pm

It seemed like the whole quiz was talking about me :)

mom2aspie10
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2007, 5:12 pm

Your Aspie score: 111 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

hummm... I know I have ADHD, Bipolar and I have some traits of OCD... but this was a little bit of a shocker to me.

Im not sure what neurotypical is. Guess I will have to go look it up.