Occupational therapy finally called

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Corsarzs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2007, 8:24 am

blessedmom wrote:
I don't know why the school had to be so difficult.

Congratulations, blessedmom, sounds as if he types better than I do.

Don't you know one of the requirements for school administrators is to be a pain in the posterior to parents of kids with special needs? It is also written in The By Laws of Education that parents are esentially ignorant lumps of clay and do not need to be listened to? After all they don't have degrees in Education so how can they possibly know what their children need?

One of my favorite topics The assinine policies of the modern educational system. :twisted:

Keep up the good work advocating for your son :star:

ster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 9:17 am

yea!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

kscsanger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2007, 9:35 am

blessedmom wrote:
I don't expect many comments here but needed to write about our new victory.
My youngest son has many fine motor skill issues and a non-verbal learning disability that has made life at school quite difficult. When recommendations were made for modifications, I had requested that he be allowed to use a laptop or other word processor due to his difficulties with printing. He prints very slowly and carefully. He types 55 word per minute and is extremely proficient with computers. The school told me that they didn't make allowances for that type of modification and refused.

What school district are you in that they told you this? Haven't they ever heard of these things called "laws"?

Of course, I say this, but then our own school district tried to pull something last year and we had to borrow money and get a lawyer. It's sad - the teachers we've had have been good (mostly), but the administration is awful.

Kate

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 4:58 pm

T2 had his assessments today. The good news is that all of the modifications that I had asked for will now be backed up by the OT. The bad news is that, because of his age, many of the therapies that would have been helpful aren't at 13 or he has to be at least a little bit compliant.

The therapist recommended brushing therapy, but there aren't many 13 year old boys who want to let Mom give them a hug let alone be "brushed" by Mom. Can't blame him there! :) But we will keep it in his mind as a useful tool should he want to try it.

Now we wait for the physical therapist to do his assessments. Hopefully it will only be a few more weeks.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:21 am

I wonder would your son consent to being brushed by his dad instead (or another male relative).

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Scramjet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2007, 5:03 am

blessedmom said:

Quote:

When I read your story, I started contemplating ways you could be "difficult" towards the school. How about if your son handed in homework in the form of paper puch tape (used with computers fifty years go!), encoded in non-standard PETSCII rather than the industry-standard ASCII text... :twisted:

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 9:28 am

Scramjet wrote:
blessedmom said:
Quote:

When I read your story, I started contemplating ways you could be "difficult" towards the school. How about if your son handed in homework in the form of paper puch tape (used with computers fifty years go!), encoded in non-standard PETSCII rather than the industry-standard ASCII text... :twisted:

:lol: :lol:

Pippen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2007, 5:57 am

At age 13 the OT should be directly teaching him to brush himself.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 3:53 pm

Yeah, you would think that would make sense, but it is more along the lines of massage with only the arms, back and legs from the knee down being involved. And there are no men in his life that he would allow to do it, either. I get where he is coming from, no way in heck I would let anyone give me a massage or "brush" me. As my son always says, "Personal space, man, personal space!"

krex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 4:59 pm

I do think that as adults,we may lose some of that hyper sensitivity(still more than an NT but not as bad as when younger).I think this might be the same "dulling of senses",that comes with aging in general...our eyesight,hearing,memory,taste buds,naturally deteriorate from exposure oand aging.(smoking cured some of my taste and smell issues,though I obviously dont recommend it as a treatment,lol)

I stopped ripping ALL the tags out of my clothing in my late 20's,only the worst ones bother me now.For vanities sake,I have worn synthetic materials but some have me itching in a matter of minutes or hours,maybe depending on if I am having a more overloaded day in general?Before causing to much discomfort in trying to dissenseitize a child,I would ask if there are other ways of dealing with them....avoidance,ear plugs,wearing only cotton?The things that are more difficult to avoid are the ones to focus on and I think we just learn to "cope" with the others the best we can,outgrowing some.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/