Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 5:09 pm

Hey! Just a couple of things.....

I'm told we may have some evaluation answers next week ( Yay)
Thursday my time (Australia)

J has started to ask me what words mean. These are words that we have used and he has used thru out his whole life. Hmm what could this mean? Was he not comprehending before and maybe getting it now? Or is he just real interested in what words mean? Any clues anyone? Did/does your child do this?

One more thing I just wanted to share...I was playing disney trivial pursuit with J yesterday and I couldn't win. He got every answer right, I dont know how, because some of the movies the questions were about I remember him ever having seen.

hexel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2007, 6:57 pm

We experience this, too ... Our son will ask about words, phrases and concepts he uses correctly all the time. I have absolutely no clue what it's all about. He's always been hyperlexic, but also had/has some language processing issues. There was a time when he couldn't answer a yes/no question to save his life even though we knew he had an answer. He went through a phase of intense echolalia, too. In just the last two years, though, he's made incredible progress in being able to express himself and self analyse, but, yes, from time to time he'll ask us a question about the meaning of a familiar word or concept.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2007, 11:47 pm

Is this a brand new game to him or have you had it around the house for awhile? Do you think your son might read but you might not know it? (Sorry, I know I've read previous posts of yours, but I don't remember how old he is)

When my son is pretending, he will read random phrases around the house and things off the computer. The reason I say pretending is that he will do it in the same manner that he pretends to talk on the phone- in an adultlike voice, whispered under his breath, when nobody is paying any particular attention to him. His therapist said that it is not unheard of to have a hyperlexic child not tell anyone that he can read. I think it's either that he doesn't know he can read, or he freezes when he realizes that someone actually heard him doing it.

In a year or two, I can totally see my son becoming obsessed with the facts in trivial pursuit (especially if it's Disney), reading all the cards, and, of course, memorizing each one in the blink of an eye.