Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 3:32 pm

My son (J 9yrs AS) has a number of stimming behaviours eg, hair twirling, arm sucking, pacing etc these things happen in frequently and usually last more than a few minutes at a time. However he has been doing this other thing with his head/hair for a couple of years now and it is quick and frequent. He scratches his head, very quickly he will give a quick scratch but continue with what he is doing. It's like he doesn't know he is doing it. I have checked his head so many times for bugs it's not funny lol.
I asked him once why he does this he gave me a blank stare. I said is your head itchy? like a mosquito bite or like you have things crawling on your head. He said Like things crawling. Is this a stim or a tic or something else. Does anyone know? He also has another one where he sniffs his hand, its so quick most people dont notice. Again stim or tic?
Whats the difference between stims and tics?

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 4:17 pm

I've always done this myself. It's a nervous habit sort of thing.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 7:42 pm

aurea wrote:
My son (J 9yrs AS) has a number of stimming behaviours eg, hair twirling, arm sucking, pacing etc these things happen in frequently and usually last more than a few minutes at a time. However he has been doing this other thing with his head/hair for a couple of years now and it is quick and frequent. He scratches his head, very quickly he will give a quick scratch but continue with what he is doing. It's like he doesn't know he is doing it. I have checked his head so many times for bugs it's not funny lol.
I asked him once why he does this he gave me a blank stare. I said is your head itchy? like a mosquito bite or like you have things crawling on your head. He said Like things crawling. Is this a stim or a tic or something else. Does anyone know? He also has another one where he sniffs his hand, its so quick most people dont notice. Again stim or tic?
Whats the difference between stims and tics?

I don't know the difference between stims or tics- It sounds like he has acute senses of feel and smell.

I don't have bugs-but I will scratch like a dog. Merely because the many strands of my hair have decided to move across the many skin sensory recievers on my scalp. We feel that.

Smell-same thing. I might be talking with my hands and for instance smell peanut butter waft lightly in the air. I may have made or eaten a peanut butter sandwich a few hours earlier. But a little piece has stuck on me-obviously, because a puff of scent passed by. Even though I can immediately 'know' that is peanut butter and I probably have it on my hands-it is almost reactive to check and finalize so I can go wash my hands: or make a mental note of "yes indeed, better be more careful next time-I hope 'they' don't smell that how embarrassing.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

mel01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2008, 11:06 pm

my son and myself do the head scratching thing, i feel like i do it when i suddenly become aware that ive been in one position for ages and is a small sort of nervous body movement for me to reajust to moving as i sometimes feel sort of frozen and end up selfconcious about any big movements. sorry thats a very long winded answer.