Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 7:56 pm

Any others out there fear aliens? My son's stuck on the alien thing. Thinks there watching him, reading his mind etc.

(he reveals EVERYTHING he's afraid of lately--"I have something stuck in my head" he says first and then it comes out...I think I explained that if he tells it to me it will get it out of his head--maybe this was a mistake. I'm now inundated with his brain imagery. It's interefering with my own.

equinn

lezley
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2008, 8:23 pm

my daughter who is not an aspie had a prob like this people were talking to her in her head and she would say the strangest things my reply to her would be its ok hunny just ignor it and then one day it just stopped!

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 8:52 pm

Good advice--I've been trying this. He usually thinks of something else quickly--I tell hiim not to worry about his thoughts.

thanks,

equinn

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 9:16 pm

I don't know, but I'd love the answer to that. My daughter, who is now four, has had a major obsession with firefighters, firetrucks and fire detectors. She is terrified of them. I keep taking her to the fire department each summer to try and calm her fears by realizing the firefighters are pretty cool. I used to be a firefighter, so I show her photos of me in my gear and photos of the trucks I used to drive and/or ride on. I think she has overcome the fear of the firefighters, but lights, sirens and alarms still set her into hysterics.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 6:02 am

my son went through this when he was 7-9.....he was absolutely terrified, and there really wasn't anything we found that helped him get past this.....i think he just outgrew it.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 2:10 pm

that' s good news--that your son outgrew it. I'm hoping for this.

First he says talking about his fear makes it seem more real and then he says if he doesn't talk about it, then it's stuck in his head.

Aliens are among us, according to him, watching.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 2:15 pm

we tried so hard to explain to him that they didn't exist....then he would reference some fact from Area 57.....the more we talked, the more agitated he became....not talking about it didn't seem to work either~he'd just ruminate about it. pace back and forth. i still am not quite sure where this fear even came from......we didn't let him watch scary movies. ah, i'm remembering that at that age he used to read alot of RL Stine books ( Goosebumps)......probably where it came from. still not really sure how it dissipated.......

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 5:54 pm

equinn wrote:
that' s good news--that your son outgrew it. I'm hoping for this.

First he says talking about his fear makes it seem more real and then he says if he doesn't talk about it, then it's stuck in his head.

Aliens are among us, according to him, watching.

I once thought that the larger number of species on Earth meant the planet was populated from aliens by other planets - perhaps by the criminals who were expelled by their homeplanets. You were bad on giraffe world - you get sent to Earth. it made perfect sense at the time.

If you think its from books, the best bet would probably be to have an author speak with him about where they find their ideas and how even their reliastic stories are fiction. I would think the easiest way to find an author would be to contact a university that hosts/has hosted that author before. It will probably be difficult to get in contact with R.L. Stine, due to his popularity, but others should be available.

Bruce Coville would probably be the best to try and contact being as he writes about aliens for young (8-12) children and he tries to interact with his fans. His website is www.brucecoville.com

You can write to Christ Crutcher's assistant at [email protected]. Crutcher is frequently involved in speaking to students at schools,libraries and universities. he's also a therapist so he might have a better understanding of just how a book can affect a child's mind

The author author I'd suggest considering is Christopher Paul Curtis. He's a repeat visitor to the YSU English Festival (Crutcher might be as well) and he told us all about how he got the ideas for his stories. He was very kind and had a nice personality. Some in the YSU English department might be willing to pass along a request to him.

(ahh got you confused with another poster. Oh well, I'll leave it up just in case you can think of books he read about aliens)