Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 3:36 pm

Damo and his reading 8O . Yesterday he had to read a level 4 book for homework and he did pretty well. I saw other reader books for his class this morning and there were level 2 8O.
Last night he didn't want me to read his Clifford book, he wanted to read it thimself!! ! He only got about 9 words wrong.
Now I don't know if he can actually read those words or if he has remembered them, I have read that same book every night for the past week.
I am well and truely over Clifford but he LOVES Clifford so I can handle it :roll: Altho I do secretly hope there are NO Clifford books on the library bus this afternoon :lol:

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2008, 4:16 pm

congratulations!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 4:43 pm

That's very good. :)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 5:18 pm

It is so exciting to watch the little ones learn!

ster
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 7:22 pm

yeah!! !! !! !! !

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 5:21 pm

Well done ! !

I sometimes read my son's readers as a bedtime story but put a different spin on them.

eg: last night we read one about a greedy cat.

Every time someone said "No BAD CAT ! !" I'd use an "angry voice" and follow it up with mimed anti-cat violence - not too bad, just a mimed smack or something. Plus, I was using different voices for all the characters in the book.

The kids loved it and as soon as I'd finished, my eldest grabbed the book off me and wanted to read it by himself.

Sometimes it pays to give them a different perspective, though I don't know if I'll get into trouble if he has to read it in class :D

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 7:17 pm

Reading is 80% expectation and 20% word identification. (I haven't got the terminology quite right because it's now a decade since I taught)

In other words good readers skim along the words, and sometimes check out one that is unfamilar.

Damon may have a good understanding of how text works, a good understanding of 'book' language and predicts text well. Sometimes he may recognise words in context but not in a word list. Whatever is happening, he sounds like an advanced reader.

I think that he will go ahead and teach himself to read any text that grabs his interest.

Put your seat belt on! He's going places with his reading!

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 8:37 pm

Awesome. He'll be growing up reading anything he can get his hand's on, just like me. Trust me.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 9:36 pm

Well here's a thread that definitely made me smile! THANKS AND CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR LITTLE READER! :D

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2008, 12:51 am

That is soooo wonderful. My little guy who is 8 has a dra of 30 in second grade. He can pull things off the internet (for cheats on games he plays) that's more for the parent to understand, but he can read and understand it. I am amazed at what he can do.

Looks like you have a advanced reader on your hands, and its so great!! ! :)

I'm sure your so proud :)

Lainie

LynnInVa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2008, 5:53 am

Mum2ASDboy wrote:
Now I don't know if he can actually read those words or if he has remembered them, I have read that same book every night for the past week.

A good way to tell if he knows the words is to ask him what they mean - make it a habit.

My daughter wrote a short story for school and she used the word "unsheathed". Even though she used it in the correct context I wasn't sure if she really knew what the word meant - so I asked and she went on to give me a dictionary-like description - she even used her hands to help describe the word. I was amazed at how much she knows - and I had no idea just how extensive her vocabulary was, mostly with uncommon words - words that you don't use in everyday conversations.
It's become a habit with us now - if I hear her use a word, or see one written I will ask her for the definition. If she knows it - great - if not she pulls out the dictionary.

She is currently reading the second book of Eragon - Eldest - by Christopher Paolini - he was only 15 when he wrote Eragon. He's is an inspiration for young readers and writers.

http://www.alagaesia.com/christopherpaolini.htm

Keep on reading to your son, let him read to you. I agree with the others - he will go places with his reading! Get ready!!

mollyandbobsmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2008, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the positive post! Good for your little kiddo!