Finally got an IEP, under the Autism designation

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2008, 11:05 am

Just wanted to share our joy and relief that we were finally able to get our AS/ADHD son an IEP based on Autism, and not just "Speech/Behavior." The district initially rejected this, but the team working with our son basically overruled and agreed collectively that the autism heading would be the most appropriate for him, all things considered.

We are thrilled. :)

Also, I just received an email from my husband's aunt - one of her grandkids has been dx'd with autism at age two.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 11:59 am

Congratulations -- this is definitely a step forward.

Kris

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2008, 12:21 pm

cool! I am going today for a meeting to get myself an IEP.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 12:43 pm

The most appropriate designation ends up making a lot of difference. I am so glad this is moving forward in a positive way for you! GOOD LUCK!

28 Apr 2008, 1:07 pm

I was never under autism, I was under Other Health Impaired.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 6:18 pm

We were almost OHI, but I wanted percision, so it's autism. I like it this way. Otherwise, it seems that too many issues will be brought to the surface and the core will be lost (autism).

Team/others love to say "I like to treat the symptoms" which is fine and dandy, but you can't understand the symptoms in the right way, if you're not considering the catalyst (autism).

I've come to loathe this statement "I like to consider the symptoms" because it's been used to dismiss my son's autism as superfluous and an "unnecessary" label. Therefore, I had to go after it myself because I realized how important it was for him and others who dealt with him.

Yes--go for autism if that is indeed the diagnosis and you're sure. It's a complex disorder so team would rather NOT attend to it because it makes things, well---more complicated.

equinn

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 7:16 pm

Congratulations! :)

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2008, 4:25 pm

Congratulations! My son is under Autism (Asperger's Syndrome).

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2008, 1:26 pm

Thanks everyone! Cross your fingers that our new school will be a good one, perhaps even (dare I dream?) better than the last!

Btw, if anyone here has any specific knowledge/experience of Rhode Island public schools, I'd really love to hear about it.