Has anyone tried vision therapy / Help with NLD Visual Issue

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Differences48
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Sep 2008, 3:31 pm

I was interested in finding out more about vision therapy, OT, and a gluten free diet as well as the possible benefits and none-benefits of psychotherapy vs. cognitive behavioral therapy. Basically, I'm just looking for ideas.

I work in a very important industry, the industry of accounting. Sometimes, I make accuracy issues because I'm not paying attention and other times my manager calls them accuracy issues when they are really organizational issues or I'd rather call them clumsiness issues since I have decent secretarial knowledge (i.e. executive functioning) but really struggle with the central coherence. The most frustrating thing is that most people cannot separate the two items but to me, it's an extremely important distinction since that's really what helps. For instance, today, the thing was accurate, but I had stated it was accurate from an inaccurate punching in of the 10-key.

On the autism spectrum, I have both NLD and Asperger's. I also have ADHD. I take 5 mg of Adderall for the ADHD. I have both visual and auditory processing difficulties. I'm very good with math, however and am male. I find that to be relevant since I have heard that NLD affects more women than men.

I am curious if anyone has tried vision therapy or Straterra (or some other non-stimulant ADHD medication) and how they have felt with it. I am a little nervous about taking something different because I don't want to cause additional problems in how it might react with my AS. Any tips?

I am wondering if I may be bothered by the flourescent lighting or it may require eye-glasses or something like that. Or could it be a habit from my earlier days that involved skipping over things, but currently, that isn't what I do (at least not intentionally).

I am hoping that some of you have some ideas.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 7:49 pm

for whatever reason, my daughter seems to be able to concentrate better when she's wearing her glasses.
haven't tried vision therapy or OT.....have tried GFCF diet- didn't work for us.........son has done CBT which he has had tremendous success with. Son takes Seroquel & Prozac- the doc says that Seroquel is supposed to help him think clearer. don't know that that's what it does....

Differences48
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Sep 2008, 8:41 pm

Yeah, thanks. Those aren't my issues. I was hoping to have anyone who may have suggestions in regards to any visual processing issues associated with NLD.