Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hyperreal_Logic
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Nov 2010, 6:44 pm

I am looking for new RPGs to play. Currently, I have Dragon Age: Origins and the Elder Scrolls. I am primarily looking for games that were created in 2005 or later, and they must be single player RPGs, not MMO. No WoW please. Thank you!

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2010, 7:27 pm

Isnt there an expansion to DA:O ? Pick that up. I havent played it, but DA:O was the best RPG to come out in the last 5 years.

Fallout is popular, though, as is Mass Effect.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 9:22 pm

Alot of RPG's from 2005 until recent date

http://roleplayingpcgames.info/rpg-games-list/

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2010, 9:38 pm

I don't know if either of the KOTORs are as new as you would like, but they both are amazing.

IMCarnochan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2010, 9:50 pm

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
I don't know if either of the KOTORs are as new as you would like, but they both are amazing.

I happily second this. Also add Mass Effect 1 and 2.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 8:14 pm

Post 2005 -
TES IV: Oblivion (with mods)
Fallout 3
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age: Origins
The Witcher

Pre 2005 -
TES III: Morrowind (better than Oblivion in many ways)
Fallout & Fallout 2
The Baldur's Gate series
Planescape: Torment
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 9:11 am

I was excited to see this topic and started getting the gears working, and then I saw the post-2005 stipulation and I couldn't name you a single one. Sorry.

But if you're willing to broaden your horizons and try some older games, I know quite a few (some of these have been named already).

Darklands (HIGHLY recommended)
Rogue (if you're into Roguelikes)
Wasteland, Fallout, Fallout 2
Ultima series
Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, I've heard Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic are also good but haven't played.
System Shock series
Deus Ex
Might and Magic series
Wizardry series
Betrayal at Krondor
Tons of SSI AD&D games...
Dungeon Master
Drakkhen, weird as heck game, the SNES version is better though.
Descent to Undermountain was really cool I thought, but terribly buggy

I guess Puzzle Quest is technically an RPG? I guess I do know a couple RPGs post-2005, but they're all for DS.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 9:42 am

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, which someone mentioned earlier, is excellent. Though also buggy - there are various official (mandatory) and semi-official (maybe desirable, though they mess about some) patches.
Fallout 3 is good, especially with the add-ons.. New Vegas is better, I think.
Mass Effect 2 is good (1 is tolerable), though there's an extremely tedious minigame thingy.
I highly un-recommend Dragon Age. I bought it on the strength of Mass Effect and the way people rave on about it being good, but it isn't. It's dire. The setting is the worst kind of cod-fantasy. The combat mechanics are dreadful. Really, really, really bad.

There's a number of things which are more shooty, less roleplay-y - Bioshock, Red Faction: Guerilla, King Arthur, Silent Storm, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and similar; depends how your tastes run.

The year is still young.

Vladisvok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2010, 2:00 pm

Death_of_Pathos wrote:
Isnt there an expansion to DA:O ? Pick that up. I havent played it, but DA:O was the best RPG to come out in the last 5 years.

The one you're probably thinking of is Awakening, personally I didn't enjoy it as much as the original game (bit hard to explain why without giving away plot information.)

There were also a number of downloadable content packs which are either additional missions for the game (Soldiers Peak and Return to Ostagar) or standalone campaigns:

Lelianas Song - set pre-DA:O
Darkspawn Chronicles - set during DA:O from the Darkspawn point of view
Witchs Hunt - set post-DA:O
Golems of Amgarrak - set post-DA:O

If you do think about getting it, might be worth looking into the "Ultimate" edition that was released in October (all DLCs, original game and awakening) in the UK at least it can be cheaper than purchasing the seperate bits.

Personally I haven't found many post-2005 RPGs that I've liked, if you are willing to play older ones then there are some good suggestions in KaiG and SabbraCadabras posts, the only game I'd add is Neverwinter Nights, while I didn't think that much of the original campaign a large builder community built up around the game giving it a lot of extra value.

Solid_Snake12345
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2010, 10:39 am

If you like science fiction you cannot go wrong with the Mass Effect series. It is by far my favourite game series and the story is absolutely incredible. The first game Had a superior story by quite a bit and the pacing was very good. The second one felt more like it was a giant recruitment mission (which is disappointing as I think it's unlikely they'll be the squadmates in Mass Effect 3) but the Suicide Mission and the Lair of the Shadow Broker were both excellent, remaining tense and engaging throughout and really, they were better than any part of the first game. The gameplay is more of an RPG/shooter hybrid than a pure RPG. Although the first is more of an RPG than the second (which is why when combined with my opinion that the first has a better story, I prefer the first more than the second) but the shooting element in the first is quite poor and clunky. The second one however has an astoundingly fluid combat system which is absolutely perfect. The only problem is that a lot of the RPG were streamlined (although it feels more like they were almost all completely removed). The replayability however is unbelievable in both games. Not only is there six (I think it's six) classes in both games, each with their own exclusive powers and play styles, both there is often five different ways to respond to other NPCs (the sixth section being a way to find more information about various relevant topics) and there is two meters representing how moral your character is. When combined, these allow for a stupid number of playthroughs. These playthroughs however will not be short as there is a lot of missions in both games and doing everything can easily take you thirty hours. In the first game there are also sixty levels to reach (which to my memory takes atleast three playthroughs, although maybe it's two, to reach level sixty) and you can replay the game with any character as much as you want. The second only has thirty levels but if you haven't brought over a level sixty it'll take two playthroughs (however, since DLC has been released it may only take one play through doing everything) to reach level thirty.

And that brings me on to another feature that I adore and that is the ability to use your Mass Effect character in Mass Effect 2. This works, for the most part, great and adds to the replayability of both games (as you can go back to Mass Effect, make different choices, and see how that effects something in the second game). It also makes the story more personnel as it makes the game feel like it's your Mass Effect story. The graphics In the first game are great while in hub worlds and talking to NPCs but in combat there is often pop-in, a few framerate issues and screen tearing. The side planets are particularly disappointing as every building on them is one of three designs and the actual planet itself is always a bland mountain range, different from the others only because the ground is a different colour. The second game however is astonishing. It has the most breath-taking visuals I have ever seen on a console (I have played only Halo: Combat Evolved on the PC as I prefer consoles and my PC is not a very high spec. one so it is possible that many games on the PC look better but no game on either the PS3 or Xbox has come close to beating Mass Effect 2 visually). There is barely a single flaw with the graphics as everything is very detailed and clear. The voice acting is the best you'll find in a game. Every single line of dialogue is voiced (and not only that but both male and female Shepperd have their own voice acted and both of them deliver a good performance in my opinion (some people find Male Sheppard too bland [although I vastly prefer his performance] and some find Female Sheppard's delivery too emotional but to me they are both very good) and all the primary codex entries are also voiced. The level of detail in the game however is unmatched in my opinion. Every single planet has a large amount of information on that planet such as the average temperature, what the atmosphere consists of, the length of a year and the atmospheric pressure. This detail isn't limited to the planets however. Every species has a huge amount of detail as well as the weapons, the technology, the big events that happened in the universe and many other things relevant to the game's universe. It really does make the universe feel real and plausible.

I also quite like Lost Odyssey. It is quite a large game that'll last you around fifty hours depending on how much you do. The gameplay is also that of a very traditional JRPG (in my opinion) with a very interesting gameplay mechanic (mainly how you learn new abilities). The story isn't too bad but it is quite clichéd. I would recommend you atleast try it though as I found it very enjoyable.

Edit: I didn't notice that you said PC so I apologise if Lost Odyssey isn't on the PC. I've also deleted a few other suggestions that were originally below this.

Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 are also fantastic games (well, without the stupid number of bugs and glitches that exist in them they would be) that are very similar to Oblivion so if you like that it's a safe bet to go with the Fallout series.

As I stated, I'm not a PC gamer. I do know however that Starcraft 2 has received a huge amount of acclaim and although I am not certain if it it's an RPG (or if it's single player, multiplayer or both), I think it is and it is certainly worth checking out.

Another game that is worth checking out (although older then you want) is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 9:12 pm

Torchlight!

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2010, 7:41 am

NetHack has the best graphics of any RPG.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 5:38 am

Neverwinter Nights 2.

The Original Campaign is sh!t but there are amazing user made campaigns.

The Corruption of Kiahoro;
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=178
...it's sequal;
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=293

Live Forever
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=389

Planescape Shaper of Dreams
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=408

The campaign for the expansion Mask of the Betrayer is amazing.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 11:22 pm

I am addicted to a borderline RPG called SmallWorlds, which was founded in 2008, and the graphics are superlative.

Jaz1787
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2010, 12:53 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

Might and Magic series

:D probably the first true RPG i ever played was a might and magic! i was so disappointed when we broke the disc

should see if i can find some on ebay....

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 12:58 am

Drakensang and Drakensang: The River of Time is quite good too.