Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 3:42 pm

Do you have a decent PC for gaming? If so, might check out this bundle on Amazon.

Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Spec Ops: The Line for 9.99

Bioshock definitely is one of the best atmospheric shooters out there, with a good story, I have yet to play the second one. I've heard Spec Ops: The Line is actually really good in the story department as well, unlike most modern-military based shooters Its not supposed to be quite so black and white as 'USA good, Terrorist bad, shoot them all!' as all the others seem to be. Its a third-person cover based shooter, set in Dubai in which during the games timeline had been evacuated years prior due to one hell of a sandstorm but many died and not everyone made it out.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 3:58 pm

eelektrik wrote:
Do you have a decent PC for gaming? If so, might check out this bundle on Amazon.

Bioshock definitely is one of the best atmospheric shooters out there, with a good story, I have yet to play the second one. I've heard Spec Ops: The Line is actually really good in the story department as well, unlike most modern-military based shooters Its not supposed to be quite so black and white as 'USA good, Terrorist bad, shoot them all!' as all the others seem to be. Its a third-person cover based shooter, set in Dubai in which during the games timeline had been evacuated years prior due to one hell of a sandstorm but many died and not everyone made it out.

Spec Ops has a crazy amazing story, it's an adaptation of Heart of Darkness (the book) used to change how you perceive the very genre it's in.

Watch the Penny Arcade Extra Credit stuff on it after playing it http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/sp ... ine-part-1

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 4:14 am

GoonSquad wrote:
The recent Walking Dead game is definitely story driven...

It's a lot like Heavy Rain, play system wise. The lack of an open world can be a bit frustrating... On the bright side, it is divided into episodes. So, you could download the first episode/demo and see if you like it.

i'm pretty sure you can get it on Steam, PSN, or XBoxLive.

I took the plunge and bought the "season pass" on PSN. I'm not sorry, yet. But I'm still on the first episode.

The game is much more about survival ethics and less about blasting zombies all the time... If they can actually make your ethical choices have consequences, it will be a good game...

Like I said, it sorta reminds me of Heavy Rain, but with zombies. I did not like Heavy Rain, but I do like this, so far...

Episode one is free right now on Xbox Live. This game is all about the story.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 4:16 am

Another story driven game is Papo and Yo on PSN. I'm thinking of giving this a try next month for the story alone.

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2012, 8:39 am

Damn! Someone beat me to Bioshock!
Final Fantasy IV and the Playstation trilogy (VII; VIII; IX) are rich in narrative drive.

StarTrekStarWars
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Dec 2012, 9:49 am

Walking Dead by telltale games

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 10:27 am

Not sure if these have been mentioned or what consoles or handhelds you have, but these games have had some of the better stories I've experienced:

Killer7
NieR
Okami
Trace Memory
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3/6
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Zelda: The Wind Waker
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Portal 2(the first Portal is kind of essential to understanding everything but does not have as much depth)

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 1:19 am

I'm going to recommend "Journey" on the PSN.

It's the "hero's journey" stripped down to it's most basic elements.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 2:28 am

I'll give another vote for Journey.

Great atmosphere/story, good gameplay, and it even has good multi-player!

Best $10 I've spent on games all year!

Paulie_C
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2012, 2:21 am

System Shock 2 - This is the most atmospheric game I have ever played. As far as I'm aware, this game is the father of RPSs (Role Playing Shooters). It has a great story, AAA voice acting, an atmosphere so creepy and disturbing that I struggle to play for long periods of time, fantastic in game music and superbly implemented ambient sound, and a deep and rich RPG system that was so far ahead of its time. It's over a decade old but there are mods that make it a little easier on the eyes.

Deus Ex - This was made from half the team that made SS2 when Looking Glass Studios went under. Probably the most engrossing story I have ever encountered in a game. It has phenomenally composed cyberpunk music, a rich world to explore, another rich RPG system (not too dissimilar to SS2's), more hidden areas and alternate roots than I've ever seen in a SP game and a 'not too distant future' conspiracy that pulls you in and keeps you hooked until you have completed multiple play-through's.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 12:22 pm

I'd have to add The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls to this list. The former has some of the best writing and dialogue I have seen in a game, and the latter has an incredibly thick atmosphere of intense dread that the player needs to deal with in order to clear the game.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 5:59 pm

eelektrik wrote:

I've been playing bioshock actually, a good suggestion ;). And wow, this thread blew up recently lol, last I checked it looked like it was about to die and move on to the dreaded second page of the forum! Looks like I have my work cut out for me with all of these suggestions...unfortunately I don't have nearly the free time to try them all lol.

StanleyTweedle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2013, 1:14 pm

The best atmospheric game I've ever played is the Myst series. The one thing about playing Myst is that you don't battle with opponents. You seek clues and solve puzzles in your environment and use the journals and books you find in you explorations to help you. It's all highly intuitive. But sort of lonely and eerie.

The first in the series, Myst, is best played in the realMyst version and it has a bonus area to explore that ties it into Riven, the second in the series. I got it for 5 bucks on steam.

They do have Myst Online now so you can solve puzzles with other people but it gets glitchy from time to time.

In any case, the music in all of them is awesome and sometimes spooky, especially Riven.

Myst Online

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 11:56 pm

In retrospect I also recommend "Indigo Prophecy", and "Heavy Rain". Both of them play the same way and requires little actual tactical skill (they're both interactive dramas).