Does anyone watch LPs alot? (LP = "Let's Play")

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 3:53 am

Andrejake wrote:
newageretrohippie wrote:
I've watched a couple, but I prefer to watch playthroughs without commentary. I enjoy hearing the game, especially if I want to see/hear the story to a game I suck at...or if it's a Nintendo game as they always have the best music.

Agree. For me it's very rare to find a Let's Play where the commentaries doesn't annoy me to the point that i stop watching.
But i do enjoy watching when i find one that doesn't irritate me.

Yeah, that's the hard part...I have enjoyed "scottishduck17" and "kwife's gaming life" channel wise. Both are good at keeping the commentary interesting and occasionally helpful without getting annoying or trying too hard to be funny ( both are funny at times though ), they both have very pleasant voices to listen to and they're not the best players but they're not bad either. I discovered kwife while trying to find a FlingSmash playthrough...had to watch a poorly filmed non English vid to see the ending though as she couldn't beat the final boss....sadly, LPs are all the rage these days so a basic playthrough w/o commentary is a rarity ( aside from Longplays running 2-7 hours per vid ), let alone a 100% run ( which I prefer for games with lots of collectibles, upgrades and side missions ). Also hated the LPs I had to watch for a few Ratchet & Clank games...the guy wasn't bad at the game, but OMG was he annoying. Every 2 seconds he'd yell at enemies to "get out of the way", or he'd do the same stupid thing over & over....

Glad I don't try to do LPs...practically all you'd hear is an insane amount of swearing and threats against my own life...I do however post clips now via Mario Kart 8 or my Xbox One. I have a few MK8 highlight reels on my channel, and just yesterday posted a Sunset Overdrive clip. If anybody is interested, my Youtube channel is newageBoundhippie

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 10:47 am

Misery wrote:

I know all of this because I've already done this stuff a bunch of times now, and not only am I a fan of retro games (really, the things are just littered all over my room, and an ancient 7800 unit sits next to the keyboard) but I'm also a perfectionist... the things either look exactly right or I get aggravated and inevitably wont end up with a final product at all.

That's all very good to know... especially the perfectionistic part. I'll certainly make sure to try emulation out once I've got something I'm prepared to record. I'm still working on learning a death-proof path through Ninja Gaiden III, and it's the first game I've set out to memorize.

It had occurred to me shortly after posting, that I am not playing the games on a proper setup as you mentioned, but I've been doing so for long enough that I'd forgotten. So yeah, RF directly into a flat screen. I had already read that that's far from ideal, but it's what I have for the moment. So, I can certainly believe that the emulations are a much more fair representation of what the game looks like than what I'm currently seeing.

On a side note, if you're comfortable with DIY repairs, and a solder gun... I believe the batteries can be replaced in the cartridges you have where the save batteries have died. Though, you'd need to get a special screw driver key if you don't already have one.

AlphaNtu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2014, 8:04 pm

Watching a LP playlist for Sims 3 right now. I like watching people play as much as I like playing, always have, even with consoles.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:56 pm

I watch a few every now and then, and I find them quite entertaining sometimes. Especially if the person playing is focused on the game and knows a lot about the game. You can learn a lot about the game that way, secrets, bug / glitches, etc... As a game programmer, I find the glitches in the games very interesting, especially the really weird ones. I always try to figure out what programming error actually caused them.

Recently I have been watching a stream of a guy playing Zelda - Ocarina of Time blindfolded, 100%. Meaning he gets every single skultulla, heart piece, upgrade, etc... It's fun because he gets stuck and has to figure out what's going on. And the level of skill and knowledge you need in order to do that is quite immense.

Misery wrote:
Lace-Bane wrote:
I've personally thought to do some long play challenges of my favorite NES games(things like playing through the Ninja Gaiden trilogy without using continues), but it looks rather costly to do so as it requires converting analogue video, and then editing software once the recording is in a format that can be read by a computer...

Actually they're almost never, ever done this way. I've not even once seen one done with that method, and I've watched a TON of NES-based LPs.

How they are done: Emulators. Every single time. They offer functions that are often found to be of absolute necessity for LPs, and they can make sure that the video aspect of it actually works right (weird things can happen when recording from an actual device), and prevent a large variety of other problems. Recording software is simple screen-capture types, like Fraps, or a variety of others. There's plenty of free options.

Emulators are used in most cases. There are even ways to use the original NES controlers.

But when it comes to speed running, it's often a requirement that the speedrun is done on a console in order to make everything exactly the same for everyone. All, or at least most, of the videos from AGDQ/SGDQ is done using the original platform the game was released on.

Even though emulators can be very good, there are often some minute differences that makes people want to use the console version. And I think nostalgia is a major reason for some people too.

Not sure if it counts, but commented championships in games can also be entertaining. Like in high-level StarCraft II games, it's very helpful to have someone explain what's actually going on.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 3:19 pm

Misery wrote:
Yeah, just curious as to if anyone here watches that sort of thing. I used to watch TV and such when having a meal, way back when, but as time went on and shows got, well... more and more crappy/awful, I needed something else to watch. So these have taken the place of that.

I end up watching them pretty darn frequently and have a large number of subscriptions on Youtube. I also end up rewatching old ones alot... it's like going back to a favorite season of some TV show. Or at least, it's like how that USED to be, when I actually cared about TV... I always feel like I"m the only one that actually re-watches ones I've already seen.

But yeah, does anyone else watch these at all? Or even make some yourself?

Yes! I watch quite a few Let's Players quite frequently (Some known and some not so known).
In no particular order, here's who I watch (also depends if you class them as LPers or not).

Kikoskia
BlackShadow993
OfficialNerd³
OfficialDad³ (Father of Nerd³ of course)
kurtjmac
VintageBeef
PewdiePie
Markiplier
jacksepticeye
Necroscope86
scottishduck17
ka6scope
RageGamingVideos
IntoTheBarrier
666theheartless666
TheRunawayGuys (consists of chuggaaconroy, Proton Jon and NintendoCapriSun)
SlimKirby
theRadBrad
pokecapnLP
Helloween4545
GoldGloveLetsPlay
PurpleRodri
LetsPlay (Rooster Teeth)
EBEZAplaysgames
MrSmartDonkey
KSI (not that keen but still okay at times)
DSPGaming
MysteriousJG
The Slothful Samurai
Only1Gam3r
Yogscast Martyn
Poet Plays
VanossGaming
FrozenFoxy
KaiserOdd
TheRPGMinx
Scoop of the Crispy
Datai
Deceased Crab
Blitzwinger
Rising Phoenix
donnabellez
Lucahjin
Super Jeenius
Lancun
AVGN/Cinemassacre (James Rolfe)

Depends for me what I like by each person. Most of the time, I go into a series they have done already. I haven't watched everything by one person but I do watch series that catch my interest in the first two videos. Quite a few times I have gone back to watch a series again either because my memory is vague or because it intrigued me so much to make me want to watch again.

I am also thinking about doing an LP but I kinda chicken out thinking it would sound awful when it probably isn't as bad as I make out along with other priorities that will take over those privileges, though if I could find the time and a better laptop for the job. I would totally want to try it out with annotations in the event of my voice becoming hard to hear if I could find the aforementioned. (I have a Mac laptop for music reasons and an XP PC which is slower than watching paint dry.)

Be interesting to see if you also like some of the ones I've mentioned considering you have said you subscribed to a lot of LPers.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Last edited by PastFixations on 01 Jan 2015, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 3:24 pm

I'd avoid watching DSP, guy is a known ableist, sexist, racist, homphobe and whatever else you can throw under the sun. Not to mention he complains constantly about the game being at fault and never takes responsibility for anything (even in real life).

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 3:37 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
I'd avoid watching DSP, guy is a known ableist, sexist, racist, homphobe and whatever else you can throw under the sun. Not to mention he complains constantly about the game being at fault and never takes responsibility for anything (even in real life).

To be honest, I've only watched the WWE 13 series. More so I only really pay attention to the things like "only the 1" referring to how the wrestler seems to be okay after being slammed with three signatures followed by three finishers.
I'm not defending him, just that I haven't really picked up on this which is surprising.
Any of the ones I've mentioned other than ones that have been discussed ones you know of?

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 4:07 pm

I like to watch LPs of old obscure games that would be too much of a hassle to actually play, especially stuff I wanted as a kid but could never acquire.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 4:44 pm

PastFixations wrote:
Misery wrote:
Yeah, just curious as to if anyone here watches that sort of thing. I used to watch TV and such when having a meal, way back when, but as time went on and shows got, well... more and more crappy/awful, I needed something else to watch. So these have taken the place of that.

I end up watching them pretty darn frequently and have a large number of subscriptions on Youtube. I also end up rewatching old ones alot... it's like going back to a favorite season of some TV show. Or at least, it's like how that USED to be, when I actually cared about TV... I always feel like I"m the only one that actually re-watches ones I've already seen.

Yes! I watch quite a few Let's Players quite frequently (Some known and some not so known).
In no particular order, here's who I watch (also depends if you class them as LPers or not).

Kikoskia
BlackShadow993
OfficialNerd³
kurtjmac
VintageBeef
PewdiePie
Markiplier
jacksepticeye
Necroscope86
scottishduck17
ka6scope
RageGamingVideos
IntoTheBarrier
666theheartless666
SlimKirby
theRadBrad
pokecapnLP
Helloween4545
GoldGloveLetsPlay
PurpleRodri
LetsPlay (Rooster Teeth)
EBEZAplaysgames
MrSmartDonkey
DSPGaming
MysteriousJG
The Slothful Samurai
Only1Gam3r
Yogscast Martyn
Poet Plays
VanossGaming
FrozenFoxy
KaiserOdd
TheRPGMinx
Scoop of the Crispy
Datai
Deceased Crab
Blitzwinger
Rising Phoenix
donnabellez
Lucahjin
Super Jeenius
Lancun

Depends for me what I like by each person. Most of the time, I go into a series they have done already. I haven't watched everything by one person but I do watch series that catch my interest in the first two videos. Quite a few times I have gone back to watch a series again either because my memory is vague or because it intrigued me so much to make me want to watch again.

I am also thinking about doing an LP but I kinda chicken out thinking it would sound awful when it probably isn't as bad as I make out along with other priorities that will take over those privileges, though if I could find the time and a better laptop for the job. I would totally want to try it out with annotations in the event of my voice becoming hard to hear if I could find the aforementioned. (I have a Mac laptop for music reasons and an XP PC which is slower than watching paint dry.)

Be interesting to see if you also like some of the ones I've mentioned considering you have said you subscribed to a lot of LPers.

I didn't put on SSoHPKC. Whoops!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 4:46 pm

yep. used to watch lots of NCS a while ago but not so much anymore..i'm currently halfway through Lancun's playthrough of MP2. (Metroid Prime 2)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 4:28 am

PastFixations wrote:
Misery wrote:

Kikoskia
BlackShadow993
OfficialNerd³
kurtjmac
VintageBeef
PewdiePie
Markiplier
jacksepticeye
Necroscope86
scottishduck17
ka6scope
RageGamingVideos
IntoTheBarrier
666theheartless666
SlimKirby
theRadBrad
pokecapnLP
Helloween4545
GoldGloveLetsPlay
PurpleRodri
LetsPlay (Rooster Teeth)
EBEZAplaysgames
MrSmartDonkey
DSPGaming
MysteriousJG
The Slothful Samurai
Only1Gam3r
Yogscast Martyn
Poet Plays
VanossGaming
FrozenFoxy
KaiserOdd
TheRPGMinx
Scoop of the Crispy
Datai
Deceased Crab
Blitzwinger
Rising Phoenix
donnabellez
Lucahjin
Super Jeenius
Lancun

Wow, that's a long list!

Actually I only recognize a few of those:

Deceased Crab, one of my favorites of my own list. Doesnt swear alot OR make really crude jokes! It's so freaking hard to find anyone that has those qualities. Also hilarious.

Markiplier, found him recently due to Five Nights at Freddy's. He's hilarious.

AVGN, I used to follow his videos, but... ehh. I dunno, my interest kinda died. Doesnt help that a huge number of the games in his videos are all licensed games (games related to movies/TV and such)... those videos were never as interesting, because you go in KNOWING that they'll be terrible games, and knowing WHY they'll be terrible games (usually it's a result of godawful time constraints put on the devs by the publishers, as well as forced content that doesnt always make sense... usually also the publisher's doing), so they end up just not being as interesting as games that are bad simply because of bad design.

And a few on the list there that I recognize but dont follow:

Pewdiepie
Rooster Teeth
Yogscast

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 2:00 pm

Another LP'er I watch sometimes is pcull44444.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 6:52 pm

Misery wrote:
PastFixations wrote:
Misery wrote:

Kikoskia
BlackShadow993
OfficialNerd³
kurtjmac
VintageBeef
PewdiePie
Markiplier
jacksepticeye
Necroscope86
scottishduck17
ka6scope
RageGamingVideos
IntoTheBarrier
666theheartless666
SlimKirby
theRadBrad
pokecapnLP
Helloween4545
GoldGloveLetsPlay
PurpleRodri
LetsPlay (Rooster Teeth)
EBEZAplaysgames
MrSmartDonkey
DSPGaming
MysteriousJG
The Slothful Samurai
Only1Gam3r
Yogscast Martyn
Poet Plays
VanossGaming
FrozenFoxy
KaiserOdd
TheRPGMinx
Scoop of the Crispy
Datai
Deceased Crab
Blitzwinger
Rising Phoenix
donnabellez
Lucahjin
Super Jeenius
Lancun

Wow, that's a long list!

Actually I only recognize a few of those:

Deceased Crab, one of my favorites of my own list. Doesnt swear alot OR make really crude jokes! It's so freaking hard to find anyone that has those qualities. Also hilarious.

Markiplier, found him recently due to Five Nights at Freddy's. He's hilarious.

AVGN, I used to follow his videos, but... ehh. I dunno, my interest kinda died. Doesnt help that a huge number of the games in his videos are all licensed games (games related to movies/TV and such)... those videos were never as interesting, because you go in KNOWING that they'll be terrible games, and knowing WHY they'll be terrible games (usually it's a result of godawful time constraints put on the devs by the publishers, as well as forced content that doesnt always make sense... usually also the publisher's doing), so they end up just not being as interesting as games that are bad simply because of bad design.

And a few on the list there that I recognize but dont follow:

Pewdiepie
Rooster Teeth
Yogscast

Ah! I'd recommend Kikoskia in an odd way. Much like DeceasedCrab, Kiko very rarely swears, only really says "Bugger" when he's made a mistake which is mild compared to most. I think you'd enjoy some of them as he does play a few obscure games as well as a few better known games. Somehow he keeps me intrigued even if the game is horrible.
chuggaaconroy who I mentioned in brackets as part of TheRunawayGuys actually posted a video which he briefly mentioned that he has a form of autism. Very Nintendo heavy.
Yeah, I kinda watch AVGN but not like I used to... same with guys like AngryJoeShow and IrateGamer. Seems just too similar with the whole being angry at games gimmick.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm

morslilleole wrote:

Only know him because of his LP of Dead Rising 2, though rather annoyed that he put with ProtonJon when he played for like 2-3 videos and had to leave. Mislead me into thinking it was a full LP with ProtonJon and was somewhat disappointed.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 8:03 pm

I just remembered another LP channel I enjoy: LinandKo, a couple in Japan who do LPs of Japanese releases while explaining how the game works and what is going on in it. They're the reason I want Fantasy Life

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 11:17 am

PastFixations wrote:
morslilleole wrote:

Only know him because of his LP of Dead Rising 2, though rather annoyed that he put with ProtonJon when he played for like 2-3 videos and had to leave. Mislead me into thinking it was a full LP with ProtonJon and was somewhat disappointed.

The LP is much longer than that, though. They go back and play for several hours. It's a lot of fun. If it's not on protonjons channel, you can find it on pcull44444's channel. You can also check out the 4 player Battletoads race ( protonjon, pcull44444, NintendoCapriSun, SuperJeenious)