Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2013, 6:12 pm

Skyrim can be played in 3rd person if nobody has mentioned that already

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 6:40 pm

hanyo wrote:
I never played Skyrim but there are video games with certain kinds of camera movements that give me really bad motion sickness so I can't play them. A couple that have bothered me were Legacy of Cain: Soul Reaver for the PS1 and the Buffy game for the PS2. I can't play most games where the camera is behind your character and moves automatically. I prefer games with a fixed camera angle. I prefer rpgs and simulation games so I don't run into that as much but I still do sometimes.

I get the same effect from watching a youtube video or movie with a shaky screen, like if they filmed it with a camcorder and a shaky hand.

I'm reluctant to get the 3DS because I don't know what it looks like or if it will make me sick. I have no way to check and it makes me suspicious that the video game store doesn't have one on display like they always did with past dses. When I tried to look at a 3d tv in a store it was a blurry double image and didn't look 3d to me. I don't know if I can't see it or they just had it set up poorly. I did have the glasses on.

OH YES, I got the same feeling when I watched District 9. I didn't like the movie anyway so I just walked out. But the shaky camera made me extremely ill so even if I had loved it I would've left. I've heard people say the same thing about Cloverfield, but I never watched it.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 May 2013, 8:26 pm

StarTrekStarWars wrote:
Skyrim can be played in 3rd person if nobody has mentioned that already

Darn, you beat me to it.

TheBraveSirRobin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2013, 8:34 pm

How to fix Motion Sickness from PC games 101:

Turn down graphics
Increase Field of View (FOV)
Disable head-bobbing/camera shake
Disable motion blur
Disable depth of field

For any given game that doesn't have these options readily available in a menu somewhere, you can try entering the name of the game and the thing you want do with it (see above) into the search engine of your choice and probably get an answer. For Skyrim specifically, it's pretty easy to turn down the graphics and FOV, since one is in a menu that's impossible to miss and FOV can be changed with the console command "fov ##" which will change your horizontal FOV to the given number.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 9:13 pm

Thanks for the tech tips, everyone! 8)

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2013, 10:42 am

I had a huge problem with motion sickness when I was taking a bunch of prescriptions. Never had it before, and haven't had it since I went off all of them at once.

One of the advantages of losing my health insurance, I suppose. :roll:

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

11 May 2013, 4:56 pm

Use 3rd person or change the FOV to 90+ should help.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 8:32 pm

Ive never had a problem with motion that I can recall, but I get broke off by games that have a ton of flashing lights.

I still haven't finished Deus Ex after almost a year because of a corridor with some busted power lines, the only way I will ever get by is to be just the right level of drunk to where I can navigate the strange obstacles but also avoid having a grand mal seizure.

I've had issues with lights in games before but have gotten by, that is the only one that has been crippling.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 9:16 am

First person games tend to make me feel nauseous...why I play 3rd person games. Should always have the option for both, though.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 9:42 pm

The inventory and menu system makes me vomit. Morrowind's was the best.

I don't have too many problems with motion sickness and orientation. In World of Warplanes, they currently have it so you move the camera to steer your airplane, and I don't have a problem with it. And I adored Homeworld 2-dimensional real time strategy is boring.

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 11:52 am

I've never had any major problems with motion sickness in any games, but I do feel a little strange after playing Borderlands 2 on PS3 for some time.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2013, 2:44 pm

Motion sickness is thing i've had from time to time in first person games. Doom, etc. Can't tell when it will happen and sometimes i might have played for a while and it starts to happen. The worst time this had happened, i was playing a 3rd person flying rpg called panzer dragoon saga. Near the end of the game you could fly directly into a burning forest and within seconds i'd be dizzy and start to feel nauseated and i'd quickly find my way out. I attributed all the flashing red flames to the problem. Fortunately it was an area i didn't need to explore to win.

Flyingladder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2013, 11:09 am

The Ps1 games were some of the worst games for me, especially the first Spyro game was so bad I had to stop playing it.

Here is my personal list of rules for myself to keep motion sickness at bay.

1. Don't play games on a lack of sleep or when you are tired
2. Don't play games in a dark room
3. Don't sit close to the screen
4. Make sure you have eaten food beforehand, don't play games on an empty stomach.

26 Jun 2013, 1:58 pm

Try playing it with HD textures.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_qNl1L9Ixo&noredirect=1[/youtube]

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2013, 10:08 pm

I only get like that with Skyrim if I have been playing for a long time (8+ hours) or if I had a headache already when I started playing. There are a couple of games I can't play because the first person view is so shaky that it causes me to have headaches and nausea.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson