Page 6 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 11:38 pm

My favourite followers wouls have ti be: Like most others Tali, in the first she was usefull for hacking, plus I like her accent and character in general, and her culture sounds interesting. Mordin is also a favourite, I think I could really symperthise with parts of him, though his original merciless aditude was a bit of a shock and sounded anoying to me, but he grew onto me I felt bad that since I had to play Paragon, I couldn't agree with him. Last one is a spoiler, so if you havent finished yet don't read, I liked Legion, I found him very interesting, it was kind of reasuring that the Geth were not as bad as we thought, and in fact belived that every sentient life has the right to their own beliefs Also liked this scene.

Frosteh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2010, 6:14 am

Mass Effect 2 was quite epic, i've played it through 3 times now. There are some things I don't like about it though. I just found the whole upgrade system was too simplified. I enjoyed the system they had in ME1 with all of the different armors, weapons, ammos, etc.... It just bothers me not actually knowing how much damage my weapon does, but thats probably because i'm obsessed with stats/numbers. :lol:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 7:26 am

Frosteh wrote:
Mass Effect 2 was quite epic, i've played it through 3 times now. There are some things I don't like about it though. I just found the whole upgrade system was too simplified. I enjoyed the system they had in ME1 with all of the different armors, weapons, ammos, etc.... It just bothers me not actually knowing how much damage my weapon does, but thats probably because i'm obsessed with stats/numbers. :lol:

Well, ship upgrades and weapon upgrades I kinda liked more only because the original system was pointless in that once you got one brand of weapon, the rest became pointless. Some of the upgrades were better than others (Frictionless Materials X), but armor is a deficiency in ME2. A common complaint is that only Sheppard has armor.

Well, in truth, you have Grunt, Sheppard, Tali, Garrius and the merc you pick up as DLC. Arguably, you could say that Jacob and Miranda are wearing armor if you consider their outfits could be some state of the art material that offers as much protection as light armor, but Thane doesn't seem to have armor, neither does Mordin. Jack could (arguably) use biotics as a shield, but that's not one of her powers.

They really should have given every character an "away team" outfit for when they were on missions.

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2010, 11:47 am

Krogan are so cool. Next time I play through it again, Grunt is getting a permanent slot in my party. Jack reminds me of a few people I've met with psychiatric problems.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 12:10 pm

Grunt is awesome and has some pretty funny moments. But Mordin takes the cake when it comes to comedy. His insights and statements are hilarious and his "advice" when you romance Tali, Garrus or Thane will bust a lung it's so funny.

Thane is just a "cool" character, and Legion is totally bada$$. Zaeed... I mean, come on, an australian bounty hunter who won't quit even if you shoot him in the head? Awesome.

MEGA SPOILERS

So... there's one other party member I've noticed a lot of people missed. If you choose to "kill Samara" during her loyalty mission you gain her daughter Morinth as a party member. As well as a new loyalty power that Shepard can train, Dominate (basically organic AI hacking). Word to the wise though, romancing her is unhealthy. Well, ok, it's lethal.

I'm kind of surprised that you're having credit issues. When I imported a save game it came with 150k credits on one and 300k credits on the second. It makes it rather easy to purchase every single shop item in the game. Well, except the double hack and double code-hack ones, but you shouldn't need those anyway.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 12:22 pm

Vyn wrote:
MEGA SPOILERS

So... there's one other party member I've noticed a lot of people missed. If you choose to "kill Samara" during her loyalty mission you gain her daughter Morinth as a party member. As well as a new loyalty power that Shepard can train, Dominate (basically organic AI hacking). Word to the wise though, romancing her is unhealthy. Well, ok, it's lethal.

Heh, I guessed that'd be the case, but neither character I've played that far with would have done it. ;) Samara looks and moves exactly like an acquaintance of mine, the resemblance is uncanny. Though so far as I know Gem isn't a vampiric alien seductress. :lol:

The year is still young.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 5:39 pm

I've seen a few Rooster Teeth achievement hunter "reviews" of Mass Effect 2, and it looks fairly neat. But it also seems to be unnecessarily over-sexualized, similar to how Stargate Universe is. IDK, what are some opinions regarding this matter? Is it actually ridiculously lewd or is it just perspective and dependent on gameplay?

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 6:34 pm

Lewd? The only references to sex I've found are:

1) A conversation between a quarian female, talking about the human she just dumped, and her turian male friend, who's trying to pick her up (which she completely fails to notice, possibly deliberately), in the bar on Ilium. If the conversation gets as far as discussing her suit's built-in neural stimulators, they will interrupt their conversation and chew you out for eavesdropping. (There's also a bachelor party for a salarian in one corner, despite his protests that such things are completely inappropriate for his species);

2) Possible implications of another conversation on Ilium, between a volus and an electronics merchant - at one point, he demands to know whether the unnamed device is compatible both with his suit and asari physiology;

3) Implications of Samara's loyalty mission, when you learn that when Mordith merges neural systems with someone, rather than rearranging some of her DNA and having a child, she kills them;

4) Unstated implications of what happened to the crew of the Hugo Gernsback, in Jacob's loyalty mission.

I gather that there is a potential romantic subplot available for Sheperd in this one, just as there was in the first game, but I managed somehow to get close to another character without any hotter action than a peck on the cheek. For that matter, even if it should play out just like the subplot in the original, the most you'll see is maybe a quick flash of a naked flank, and possibly hands touching. Not exactly XXX material, here - heck, it'd be too tame for Skinemax...

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 9:24 pm

Vyn wrote:
MEGA SPOILERS

I'm kind of surprised that you're having credit issues. When I imported a save game it came with 150k credits on one and 300k credits on the second. It makes it rather easy to purchase every single shop item in the game. Well, except the double hack and double code-hack ones, but you shouldn't need those anyway.

1. Once I saw it could be done, I tried getting Morinth (requires a high enough Paragon or Renegade score). I wasn't interested in waiting until AFTER the game is over to be able to romance her to see what happens. I went to YouTube. :P However, it is recommended that if you want Morinth's unlockable power, save sometime before the end of the mission (where you chose) and choose her. Finish the mission (which unlocks the power) then load and do whatever you really want. The unlocked power remains available to your character.

2. I'm not impressed with Dominate (not used it, but I have an issue with a mind-control power being based in biotics). Biotics is the ability to manipulate mass effect fields with the mind. Asari have unique neurological abilities which opens the door to thinks like telepathy. So, I don't see Dominate as a valid biotic skill.

3. The credits in the game are a hot issue. They really should have relaxed how hard it is to find them. No point in exploring about the galaxy after the game if you're broke. You can do stuff like charm/intimidate for better prices before buying and since purchased armor carries over to replays, it's one less thing to buy, but still, getting all the upgrades to your kit means a lot of flying around to do every little side quest (about the only place you'll find/earn credits).

4. Sex. Frankly, I'm not impressed with ME2's romances. Pretty much everyone keeps their clothes on (a backlash from the outcry over partial nudity in ME no doubt) and frankly the dialog in the game is more "adult" than anything else, but they had no problems putting that in. Heck, prime time TV has more raunchy in it than ME had.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 11:24 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
2. I'm not impressed with Dominate (not used it, but I have an issue with a mind-control power being based in biotics). Biotics is the ability to manipulate mass effect fields with the mind. Asari have unique neurological abilities which opens the door to thinks like telepathy. So, I don't see Dominate as a valid biotic skill.

Works exactly the same as AI hacking, but on organics. It's amazing on Collector Guardians after you rip their barrier off. They just start lazering everything in sight.

zer0netgain wrote:
3. The credits in the game are a hot issue. They really should have relaxed how hard it is to find them. No point in exploring about the galaxy after the game if you're broke. You can do stuff like charm/intimidate for better prices before buying and since purchased armor carries over to replays, it's one less thing to buy, but still, getting all the upgrades to your kit means a lot of flying around to do every little side quest (about the only place you'll find/earn credits).

I still don't know how people are having difficulty with credits... I've bought every single upgrade in my current Renegade game (ME1 save import, not a second playthrough) and I still have Zaeed's, Jack's, Miranda's loyalty missions to do as well as a ridiculous amount of exploring... and I've got 200k credits just sitting in my bags doing nothing.

zer0netgain wrote:
4. Sex. Frankly, I'm not impressed with ME2's romances. Pretty much everyone keeps their clothes on (a backlash from the outcry over partial nudity in ME no doubt) and frankly the dialog in the game is more "adult" than anything else, but they had no problems putting that in. Heck, prime time TV has more raunchy in it than ME had.

Agreed, there is a very serious lack of actual sex scenes when you consider how adult the conversations are. And considering the game is rated Mature, same as God of War and Dante's Inferno, which have very clear CG full topless nudity, I have no clue why.

However, the conversations between female Shepard and Garrus' innuendos are absolutely hilarious.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 10:24 am

Vyn wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Works exactly the same as AI hacking, but on organics. It's amazing on Collector Guardians after you rip their barrier off. They just start lazering everything in sight.

Oh, I know how it works, but I'm a bit of a purest with games. I won't use a biotic skill with a soldier or engineer or soldier/engineer hybrid. I only use biotics with a class that is able to use biotics.

I reason that because biotics is only usable by people with special conditions who undergo YEARS of conditioning and training to do anything with biotics. It's not like hacking which you could learn in a tech school and implement with an Omni-Tool.

Dominate isn't "biotics" in that it is mind control, not mass effect application. They started down this slippery slope with ME when you talk to the Asari who got the cipher from the Thorian claiming Saran needed her "biotics" when the codex is fairly clear that Asari are unique with how their neurological system is set up. Not all biotics have telepathy, ancestral memory, etc. Only the Asari have that.

So, a human biotic would not be able to "Dominate." Simply is not possible.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2010, 11:07 am

You know, I have to say that I, personally, prefer the Biotic powers of ME. I think they might have weakened them a little for ME2, especially Singularity. However, I am having quite a lot of fun with Reave. That is a cool life-sucking power, but it only works after the biotic barrier or shield is off from an enemy.

Anyone know what Biotic power works best on the Praetorian? That mosquito-like sucker is difficult, especially when it gets too close to you. I have the worst time on the Collector ship, trying to destroy that thing at the same time as dealing with those annoying husks (made those suckers smarter for ME2 and more annoying), as well as trying to direct my squad to cover my butt.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 12:40 pm

I didn't have any problem with credits at all; with my last character I bought everything I could find and explored every system I could. There were times when I couldn't buy everything in a shop, but I was always able to go back later to pick up things I had missed.

I also haven't seen a single sex scene yet. Maybe I'm unusual but I somewhat dislike the romance options in RPGs so I don't try to find them (makes the GTAs annoying!). My only real "oversexualised" gripe is with Miss Fanservice's crotch-hugging outfit. Thank heavens for alternate costumes. :lol:

The year is still young.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 4:09 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Vyn wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Oh, I know how it works, but I'm a bit of a purest with games. I won't use a biotic skill with a soldier or engineer or soldier/engineer hybrid. I only use biotics with a class that is able to use biotics.

I reason that because biotics is only usable by people with special conditions who undergo YEARS of conditioning and training to do anything with biotics. It's not like hacking which you could learn in a tech school and implement with an Omni-Tool.

Dominate isn't "biotics" in that it is mind control, not mass effect application. They started down this slippery slope with ME when you talk to the Asari who got the cipher from the Thorian claiming Saran needed her "biotics" when the codex is fairly clear that Asari are unique with how their neurological system is set up. Not all biotics have telepathy, ancestral memory, etc. Only the Asari have that.

So... Warp is manipulating the matter in a form to change it, thereby causing tremendous damage. IIRC it's not a mass effect manipulation, it's basically pure telekinesis.

And anyways, if it takes years of training for a biotic to learn their abilities... how come all Jack can do when I first meet her is throw things, yet after a couple of hours she's learned how to throw harder, create shockwaves and even manipulate biotic energy into ammunition? It certainly can't be that hard lol.

Maintaining purism in an fictional game is just odd to me. I understand it's nice to be able to maintain that, but I'm always more drawn to using/experiencing everything. That said, my Infiltrator uses Geth Shield boost (+15% damage for Sniper bonus yeah!) and my Sentinel uses Fortification, my Adept uses Warp ammo as it's the best all-around in the game.

Also, Aspiewriter, Reave is the most effective on the Praetorian, it does double damage to Armor and Barrier. But if you have trouble with them just bring the M20-Cain with you, it one shot's Praetorians if ya fully charge it and since there's only 2-3 of them in the game it's easy to save the ammo for them lol

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2010, 7:46 pm

Vyn wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Vyn wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

So... Warp is manipulating the matter in a form to change it, thereby causing tremendous damage. IIRC it's not a mass effect manipulation, it's basically pure telekinesis.

And anyways, if it takes years of training for a biotic to learn their abilities... how come all Jack can do when I first meet her is throw things, yet after a couple of hours she's learned how to throw harder, create shockwaves and even manipulate biotic energy into ammunition? It certainly can't be that hard lol.

Maintaining purism in an fictional game is just odd to me. I understand it's nice to be able to maintain that, but I'm always more drawn to using/experiencing everything. That said, my Infiltrator uses Geth Shield boost (+15% damage for Sniper bonus yeah!) and my Sentinel uses Fortification, my Adept uses Warp ammo as it's the best all-around in the game.

Also, Aspiewriter, Reave is the most effective on the Praetorian, it does double damage to Armor and Barrier. But if you have trouble with them just bring the M20-Cain with you, it one shot's Praetorians if ya fully charge it and since there's only 2-3 of them in the game it's easy to save the ammo for them lol

Sorry that I suck at abbreviations, but what is IIRC? Too lazy to look it up.

And also I could never get my Cain weapon to fully charge. Used it once, but ever since then it doesn't wanna work. It just blows steam and nothing else. Do I have to get an upgrade for it? Or just enough power cells? And do you think the Collector Beam would work just as well on the Praetorian? I find it effective; however, it almost seems to take forever for it to cut through anything at times.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2010, 2:49 am

@Vyn, thanks for the tip on defeating the Praetorian with my Cain weapon. I had just enough ammo for the thing, and it worked wonders. Didn't have much left to kill after that, and that was a nice breeze compared to last time I tried killing the thing with just my sub-machine gun and squad powers.

One thing I am confused about, though. I chose Armor-piercing ammo but GROUP armor-piercing when I put points into it for Garrus. But the option for the power ONLY appears for Garrus and not the rest of the squad. How then are we able to use the armor-piercing ammo as a group?