Page 7 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

greatreader
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2010, 7:36 am

So... Warp is manipulating the matter in a form to change it, thereby causing tremendous damage. IIRC it's not a mass effect manipulation, it's basically pure telekinesis.

And anyways, if it takes years of training for a biotic to learn their abilities... how come all Jack can do when I first meet her is throw things, yet after a couple of hours she's learned how to throw harder, create shockwaves and even manipulate biotic energy into ammunition? It certainly can't be that hard lol.

Maintaining purism in an fictional game is just odd to me. I understand it's nice to be able to maintain that, but I'm always more drawn to using/experiencing everything. That said, my Infiltrator uses Geth Shield boost (+15% damage for Sniper bonus yeah!) and my Sentinel uses Fortification, my Adept uses Warp ammo as it's the best all-around in the game.

Also, Aspiewriter, Reave is the most effective on the Praetorian, it does double damage to Armor and Barrier. But if you have trouble with them just bring the M20-Cain with you, it one shot's Praetorians if ya fully charge it and since there's only 2-3 of them in the game it's easy to save the ammo for them lol

warp is not manipulating matter. it is rapidly creating and collapsing small mass effect portals to shred the enemy.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 9:28 am

Aspiewriter wrote:
@Vyn, thanks for the tip on defeating the Praetorian with my Cain weapon. I had just enough ammo for the thing, and it worked wonders. Didn't have much left to kill after that, and that was a nice breeze compared to last time I tried killing the thing with just my sub-machine gun and squad powers.

One thing I am confused about, though. I chose Armor-piercing ammo but GROUP armor-piercing when I put points into it for Garrus. But the option for the power ONLY appears for Garrus and not the rest of the squad. How then are we able to use the armor-piercing ammo as a group?

The Collector lazer beam is decent against the Praetorian, second best heavy weapon IMO. Also, IIRC is "if I recall correctly." Group ammo powers are active on the entire grp as soon as whoever has them turns them on, the problem is that they don't stack. So, unless you a have squad member without one, they're rather useless. Zaeed being the only one with Disruptor ammo is good for any geth missions, but other than that you can get by with pretty much any ammo power as they all, except for shredder/disruptor, do extra damage to armor and health. I find Warp ammo to be the most versatile, ArP ammo for scions/praetorians, and disruptor for synthetics. Those are the only three ya need, and ya don't need ArP if you have warp ammo.

Also, Snipers and the starting pistol fully upgraded will absolutely shred anything with armor, harbingers, scions, krogan and praetorians included. Actually, the Widowmaker sniper+infiltrator cloak+geth shield=1 shot Harbingers if you get em in the head lol. 2 shots scions.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 11:12 am

If you can headshot a Harbinger with a Widowmaker, none of the rest of the qualifiers matter - one shot, one kill, on anything this side of a Praetorian (or the Big Boss at the very end...). Great way to take out vorcha, too - regenerate this, four-eyes!

On the other hand, if you miss the headshot, even a little bit, you've wounded the Harbinger badly and will get him with the next shot - but he's still alive...

later: Oops, my bad - turns out those holes I was using to aim at the top of a vorcha's head weren't eyes, but were in fact nostrils. Which makes the vorcha immunity to disease a really good thing - a vorcha with a runny nose would be galactically disgusting...

Last edited by DeaconBlues on 20 Feb 2010, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 4:11 pm

amazing game im on my 4th play thru. the first mass effect the biotic powers were a joke. but in me2 i started with vanguard and havent looked my hot key heavy charge, slam and shockwave cant be beat, just wish i had assault rifle and sniper training from the start instead of shotgun. loved them in the first now there lame specially the ammo count

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2010, 2:00 pm

bully_on_speed wrote:
amazing game im on my 4th play thru. the first mass effect the biotic powers were a joke. but in me2 i started with vanguard and havent looked my hot key heavy charge, slam and shockwave cant be beat, just wish i had assault rifle and sniper training from the start instead of shotgun. loved them in the first now there lame specially the ammo count

This is rather funny, because I thought the Biotic powers for ME1 were really good, and the singularity was quite powerful. I also loved lift. I am now playing Vanguard, and will be continuing that class into ME2. Honestly, I have not had any problems with the biotic powers for either game. Not big problems anyway. Sometimes, my singularity power in the second Mass Effect is hard to use, because some enemies can get out of the way before getting sucked up. I don't know how they do that. I might have to work on my aim better.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 1:51 am

damn xbox red ringed on me last night and corrupted all my game data while saving. i have to start all over again

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 10:36 am

bully_on_speed wrote:
damn xbox red ringed on me last night and corrupted all my game data while saving. i have to start all over again

Multiple saves FTW (for the win). :wink:

Biotics always dealt with mass effect fields.

Lift - negate gravity
Throw - gravitational force to push
Singularity - mini black hole effect
Warp - gravitational sheer to shred objects
Barrier - gravity field repelling matter/energy attacks

In ME, Lift and Singularity was awesome (maybe too much so). Throw was okay. Warp was useless except for making a target more vulnerable to other attacks while the effect was in place.

ME2 puts a lot of emphasis on Warp. Lift and Throw do nothing until Armor and Shields are worn away. Most other biotic attacks only work on an unarmored/unshielded target. Singularity will wear down shields and armor, but slowly. Warp won't work on shields.

I'm trying to beat the game on Insanity, and I'm stuck at the Collector Ship mission. Even as a Soldier it's hard to deal with the Scion, Harbinger and drones as they show up. My latest attempt deals with the Widow using warp ammo. I've had more luck than before, but still haven't gotten past the first major battle.

The Praetorian is easy enough to beat if you can stay behind cover. It always targets you, so any fire attack will work against its armor. Warp is effective. Your teammates can "bug bite" it to death with their weapons. When it generates its barrier, concussive shots do a nice job to wear it down. The key is to keep moving because it follows you.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 11:04 am

zer0netgain wrote:
bully_on_speed wrote:

Lift - negate gravity

In ME, Lift and Singularity was awesome (maybe too much so). Throw was okay. Warp was useless except for making a target more vulnerable to other attacks while the effect was in place.

ME2 puts a lot of emphasis on Warp. Lift and Throw do nothing until Armor and Shields are worn away. Most other biotic attacks only work on an unarmored/unshielded target. Singularity will wear down shields and armor, but slowly. Warp won't work on shields.

I'm trying to beat the game on Insanity, and I'm stuck at the Collector Ship mission. Even as a Soldier it's hard to deal with the Scion, Harbinger and drones as they show up. My latest attempt deals with the Widow using warp ammo. I've had more luck than before, but still haven't gotten past the first major battle.

The Praetorian is easy enough to beat if you can stay behind cover. It always targets you, so any fire attack will work against its armor. Warp is effective. Your teammates can "bug bite" it to death with their weapons. When it generates its barrier, concussive shots do a nice job to wear it down. The key is to keep moving because it follows you.

Yeah, I've noticed myself that pretty much all of the CC abilities in ME2 are useless because the target has to be down to just health to use them... and once they're down to just health they're pretty much already dead anyway and there's not point to CC them. The only time I've felt Lift would be useful was if you aoe Lift against the husk swarms on the Reaper. Other than that, it's all about the direct damage abilities, Warp, Incinerate, Reave, and Overload.

Also, I found a site with a bunch of ME2 faces on it, and there's 3 in particular that I found hilarious. Someone managed to make a Shepard that's a spitting image of Obama, one of Lincoln, though my favorite is one of Dr. Venture. Which of course I'm totally using in my first male Shepard game, Renegade as well.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2010, 2:41 pm

bully_on_speed wrote:

OUCH! The XBox's biggest flaw, but that doesn't stop me from using it. I love my system! :)

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2010, 2:45 pm

Vyn wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
bully_on_speed wrote:

Lift - negate gravity

Yeah, I've noticed myself that pretty much all of the CC abilities in ME2 are useless because the target has to be down to just health to use them... and once they're down to just health they're pretty much already dead anyway and there's not point to CC them. The only time I've felt Lift would be useful was if you aoe Lift against the husk swarms on the Reaper. Other than that, it's all about the direct damage abilities, Warp, Incinerate, Reave, and Overload.

Also, I found a site with a bunch of ME2 faces on it, and there's 3 in particular that I found hilarious. Someone managed to make a Shepard that's a spitting image of Obama, one of Lincoln, though my favorite is one of Dr. Venture. Which of course I'm totally using in my first male Shepard game, Renegade as well.

I've noticed they made the Biotic abilities more specific to certain situations as explained above. And what's the link to that website? I have got to see those faces! 8O

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 3:30 pm

Aspiewriter wrote:
bully_on_speed wrote:

OUCH! The XBox's biggest flaw, but that doesn't stop me from using it. I love my system! :)

What is this flaw, the red-ringing, exactly?

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 3:39 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Aspiewriter wrote:
bully_on_speed wrote:

Heat issue, the hardware can eventually fry itself with enough use and lack of air to keep it cool. I've found the most effective method to deal with it is A) appropriate HVAC for the room, and B) small props like bottlecaps at the four corners to hold the Xbox off the ground so the bottom fans get a good circulation going. I use the same trick for laptops as well.

The problem was also an issue with the original Xbox. You'd think MS would've learned from the first one, people tend to be a bit better about heat issues with desktops, but with a gaming system they don't take it into consideration. The other gaming companies however have never had that same issue.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 4:05 pm

started my vanguard over again, having a tough time i lost my sniper rifle training and my widow rifle and my good submachine gun. i think this play thru cause im pissed im gonna try to kill off the entire crew. my last playthru i managed to keep everyone alive

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 5:10 pm

Vyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Aspiewriter wrote:
bully_on_speed wrote:

Heat issue, the hardware can eventually fry itself with enough use and lack of air to keep it cool. I've found the most effective method to deal with it is A) appropriate HVAC for the room, and B) small props like bottlecaps at the four corners to hold the Xbox off the ground so the bottom fans get a good circulation going. I use the same trick for laptops as well.

The problem was also an issue with the original Xbox. You'd think MS would've learned from the first one, people tend to be a bit better about heat issues with desktops, but with a gaming system they don't take it into consideration. The other gaming companies however have never had that same issue.

My old laptop had the same problem to, it was built in 2003 though, a Compaq M700 Armada. Companies tend to build systems like these with crappy ventilation, probably because it would look "unattractive" to have the ventilation be visible... at least it could be an issue where the marketing department makes life difficult for the engineering department. It would be nice to have better ventilation, a more powerful fan, or a liquid cooling system... unfortunately only the liquid cooling would be marketable, yet the additional cost might not be profitable. Such is business if so.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 5:45 pm

currently probing uranus, with some funny dialogue from edi

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 6:10 pm

bully_on_speed wrote:
currently probing uranus, with some funny dialogue from edi

Potty humor? Going to travel throughout the galaxy only to be stuck on the toilet?