Page 2 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2010, 4:43 pm

Vyn wrote:
Aspiewriter wrote:
I am still playing the first Mass Effect. Replaying it since I got a new 360, so I want to build my character up for the second game. Although, you can still be Shepard without incorporating your previous character but without any history. Still, I might play the second game both ways just to see.

I unfortunately have ME1 for the Xbox and ME2 for the computer so I couldn't import. And it's really annoying too. It defaults to assuming you let the council die, and you save the human gender opposite Shepards gender AND that that was your romance, and assumes Wrex dies. Very very annoying because in my ME1 I had a female Shepard, saved the council, killed Ashley because she killed Wrex (I of course reloaded and did it again to save him, but sweet Gaia that b!tch pissed me off when she did that. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her die later) and of course I romanced Liara.

So, that somewhat annoyed me. Now I have to buy ME1 for the PC JUST to redo it so I can load the first game the way I played it instead of the default boring way. Who the hell would want to romance a human when you've got a blue alien psychic bisexual chick anyway?

Well hopefully they won't think I wanted the council dead at the end of ME1 after I finish it and load my character to ME2. Otherwise, I'll be annoyed by the continuity errors.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 6:27 pm

<-- ME2 hasn't finished downloading yet because it stops every time I play King Arthur. :) Silly Steam. Haven't they heard of multitasking? 8O

The year is still young.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 6:37 pm

Sorry I won't read the whole thread for fear of spoilers etc but ME2 is awesome thus far. I can't say off-hand how much I've played but I'd guess 10-12 hours. I actually started fresh with a new character because I wanted a biotic component (I was an infiltrator in ME1; I'm doing a vanguard now).

I'm glad you made the thread, I was thinking of doing the same but I thought maybe someone else already did and I couldn't find it. I think the discussion will get a lot more interesting once most of the respondents have finished the game and spoilers will not be so much of an issue.

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2010, 8:00 pm

Heh, I got it Tuesday (release) and beat it some time yesterday. Marathon-ed the thing. Wish it was longer, about 22hours with 95% of the game complete (I missed one or two side missions).

Good game though. Graphics, Audio, Game play all top notch. Seems I am one of the first to beat it... google has a surprised lack of screen shots. If I say anything more I will ruin it, so I won't. Even watching a review from GS or IGN will spoil some just from the background video.

Sadly I had lost my ME 1 save... Won't make the same mistake for ME 3.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 8:03 pm

Amazon_television, since Shepard is being rebuilt from tiny little bits at the beginning of ME2, you can actually choose a different class than you had in your save. All using the save does is set up some background, and give you bonuses (bonusi?) to credits, experience, and materials for upgrading.

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 10:40 pm

SirLogiC wrote:
I don't understand why they give the US 1-3 days earlier release than other countries. just cause the US is ~12 hours behind Australia.... :?

Its a matter of marketing tradition more then anything, same reason movies still only come out on fridays or Wensdays(err at least in the U.S.). Which is to say really a reason that once made sense but now no longer truly does.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 12:10 am

I just got it today. I haven't played it much but so far I'm impressed. Shepard's personality is a lot more developed in ME2. I'm looking foward to see how the dialogue goes with my squad mates.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 5:41 am

Haven't played #1, but I'm playing #2. It's pretty cool, and some of the characters and quests are well done. Kinda feels like Baldur's Gate 2 to me (the space hamster is a cute touch).

One of the funniest moments...ever written in media, is the "all powerful" Volus during the Justicarr mission. :lol:

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 11:44 am

It's alright so far; not having played the first one I'm cheerfully doing whatever the "bad" guys kindly ask of me, and murderising people all over the place. :wink: I like the big hippo-like alien things.

The year is still young.

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2010, 1:22 pm

Just completed it earlier. A most amazing game, in my opinon. Probably one of the best games Bioware has ever come out with, even given the quality of their other stuff. I hope they don't take too long with Mass Effect 3.

Also, can we get a *spoilers* in the thread title or something? I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone and I'm sure people don't want the plot spoiled for themselves. My play time clocked in at about 21 hours, by the way. Pretty good considering how short a lot of games are these days.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2010, 2:24 am

I think Bioware has put out quite a lot of good stuff. I don't think their quality is all that bad, right? I enjoy every game they've ever come out with, ones I have played of course.

Thoroughly enjoying the first game still. I am taking my sweet time on it and might play it for a second go-round before attempting the sequel.

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2010, 4:37 am

Aspiewriter wrote:
I think Bioware has put out quite a lot of good stuff. I don't think their quality is all that bad, right? I enjoy every game they've ever come out with, ones I have played of course.

Thoroughly enjoying the first game still. I am taking my sweet time on it and might play it for a second go-round before attempting the sequel.

Ah, I was saying all their other games were good. Guess it came across the other way. Whoops. They certainly have something of a consistant track record when it comes to putting out quality games.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2010, 6:33 pm

I am pining for getting a PS2 and playing both Balder's Gate games. I miss those.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 7:12 pm

Hehe, now I'm really enjoying it; every time I feel like saying "why don't ya just shoot him?" that little red sign appears. :D

The year is still young.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2010, 1:55 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Hehe, now I'm really enjoying it; every time I feel like saying "why don't ya just shoot him?" that little red sign appears. :D

Ah yes, the joy of playing renegade. Right now, in the first ME, I am getting closer to the finale, and I am thinking of killing the council. That would net me a heck of a lot of renegade points. All throughout the game, my Shepard has been impatient with them.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 2:32 pm

Ok so the spoilers are only from the first game which is 2 years old so I don't feel bad posting them.

If you play the game without a save file it automatically assumes the following:

1. Council died.
2. Whichever gender Shepard you are, you saved the opposite gender human under your command.
3. Wrex died.
4. Picked Udina to serve on the council.

Other than that, other things from the first game do carry over, such as you getting more dialog options with old teammates if you romanced them or completed their side quest. In addition, you get a ton of credits and materials for upgrades. Lastly, if you played up to a certain level you start at lv 2, and if you got to level 50, you start at 3. If you completed ME1 twice and got to lv 60 you start at level 5. So that's rather nice.

Next, there's a website that has save files for ME1 that you can easily download (they're between 50-100kb) and install in a self-created ME folder just to access for ME2 new games. I can't recall the site at the moment, just google ME1 save games, should be near the top. I did it because I was highly annoyed with the default choices the game had and I had done pretty much the opposite for everything in my old game... but couldn't transfer because it was 360 and not PC... So I cheated the system, but it's all good ^_^

Also... the voice actor that did the female Shepard completely embarrassed the male Shepard voice actor. She's full of emotion, inflection and character and the male one is... well flat and same-sounding the entire game. So, if you can play a female Shepard, I do recommend that.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.