Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 12:53 pm

So, ho many of you guys have tried out this great game? I find the game to be really refreshing in how unforgiving it is towards the player in an era of regenerating health and quick-saves, where trying to go Leroy Jenkins on even common enemies will have you back in soul form before you know what happens to you.

Also I love how this game handles multiplayer, The message system has helped me find secrets I would have never known were there, along with hints for boss weaknesses, and the Blue phantoms are a great help when dealing with certain bosses and invading Black Phantoms. The bosses in game are unique as well, each having several different strategies on taking them down, and some have strange twists on how you encounter them; like the old monk, storm king, and Fools Idol just to name a few.

If there are any other players here share your experiences and triumphs, maybe tell us what your character is like, your favorite weapon set or request for help, I'm open for co-op.

Right now I've got two characters: my main is Soul Level 116 on NG++, my favorite weapon is the North Regalia and Dark Silver Shield with silver catalyst and lava bow as back ups. My second character is Soul Level 33 with a uchigatana+4 with Kite Shield+3 followed up with a simple compound short bow.

Fehndrix
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2010, 6:01 pm

Been wanting to try this game for a long time now, but I keep thinking that the difficulty might frustrate me too much. It does look very good though, and I need more PS3 games.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 2:11 am

Yeah, I loved this game. It was my favourite game of 2009. I finished the game, but didn't feel compelled to start a new game plus. I will play it again sometime, but will start a game fresh with a different character and weapon type. My first character was an extremely high damage magic caster with extremely low health, and used a catalyst and kris knife combo, changing to a crescent uchigitana or moon polearm and purple flame shield for melee.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 9:24 pm

Fehndrix wrote:
Been wanting to try this game for a long time now, but I keep thinking that the difficulty might frustrate me too much. It does look very good though, and I need more PS3 games.

The games difficulty is somewhat over-hyped but is justified to a point this game doesn't hold your hand, but if your careful(be wary of ambushes by unseen enemies), read messages left by other players, and learn that while armor does look cool, being able to swiftly dodge attacks is a much better strategy(unless you want to turtle then by all means use armor it has it's advantages as well). most of the reasons I died in the game is due to my own error or miscalculations(or being knocked/rolling of an unseen cliff). Each enemy has a distinct attack pattern, once you learn it you can effectively counter it at almost every turn, the same is true for the bosses, each has several different ways to be taken down. Although I must warn you you'll probably want to stay in soul form once you level up a bit, you may have to deal with the reduction in HP but it's worth it to keep away those pesky invading black phantoms who will impede you progress with more zeal than normal enemies, unless your up for the challenge of course the game always makes the black phantom 10 levels below your own so you will be more powerful than them but that really doesn't matter if they are crafty enough to get past your defenses.

@Enigmatic_Oddity
NG+ is worth it (although NG+ is 40% more difficult, like the soul sign says "the true demon's souls starts here") also it's easier to influence the world tendency so you can access new areas and meet with different NPC's, it is also the only way to get certain spell's, miracles, and weapons , like my totally awesome Northern Regalia, only craftable with the demon brandt and soul brandt along with the false kings demon soul. or the soul suck spell which is only available from yuria the witch in your second playthrough if you got the good ending and give yuria the black maidens demon soul.

And I will admit to using it but the demon's souls wiki was a very big help, especially if you want to know exactly what you need to upgrade weapons or what exactly you want to spend your boss demon souls on, whether it be a new magic, miracle,weapon, or basic souls for leveling up. (tip: if you want to get unique items you have to save the flamelurker demon soul and give it to blacksmith ed, that's the only way to get special items like the lava bow or northern regalia.)

Fehndrix
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2010, 11:30 pm

Ok, I got it used today at PlayNTrade, and while it took me an hour and a half to get through the first area, I can see myself getting into this game.