What are your hopes for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 6:55 am

As the question says... what are your hopes for it? :)

I personally hope it is more like TES:3 Morrowind in alot of ways... but better of course :D

1.) For one I hope the world isn't generic like Oblivion and is more a fantasy realm like Morrowind. Oblivion was a good game, but it lacked a creative atmosphere. Morrowind felt like a new world to explore with creative creatures designed like they were meant to be from a D&D manual... where as Oblivion just felt like how I'd imagine a medieval England to be with generic enemies from mythology.

2.) I hope they get rid of level basing everything :roll:. It seriously breaks the interest of leveling in an rpg when everything is level based. There's no interest in leveling up (In the Elder Scrolls 4 at least) when enemies are always tiers above you, and when equipment is only upgraded to combat the higher tiers. In my games in Oblivion, I'd never level up aside from when a quest or two required the player to sleep and would make me reach a new level. You can level every skill up to 100 and never have to level up past 1 if you don't want in TES. So what's the point of doing so when your equipment is de-leveled in the process due to enemies growing in health? I liked Morrowind in that harder enemies roamed in harder areas. Also it's just more interesting to explore and find higher tier weapons at lower levels. It's just more interesting that way. Also in Morrowind there was only a set and a half of Daedric armor which when you got the whole set it was quite cool because it could be heavily enchanted and it was an accomplishment to find all the pieces. In Oblivion it's not too much of an exaggeration to say that after level 20 and higher, that hobos might as well start wearing the armor because everyone else does :roll:

3.) I also hope that skills, spells, system, and weapons are broadened more to the amounts that Morrowind had over Oblivion. I hated that Oblivion removed so many spells (Mostly ones like) Levitation. I also hated that they removed most spells that were included in Oblivion from the enchanting process. In Morrowind every spell could be used in enchanting :?... why was it so limited in Oblivion? :? Also, with skills I didn't like that so many were simplified, and in the process many weapons were even removed from the game. I'm a bit odd but I like fighting with cross bows and halberds :roll:. So I really hope many of these what seem to have been short cuts in programming are re-added to the new Elder Scrolls 5 :)

4.) Personally I'd like if the crime system was fixed too. It's annoying to accidentally pick up something (With the move object button) and have a guard pursue you to the end of the world. I enjoy when things feel a bit like a game (and life really) and you can touch and move objects without the programming deeming you a criminal. I like how this was done in Fallout New Vegas, where you could move things and whatnot without getting attacked.

5.) Also the stolen item status should go I think. Nobody would know something is a stolen item realistically. That felt too much like a gimmick in both TES 3 and 4. Where in 4 you had to find a fence... that was uber annoying. While in both, guards would confiscate all your stuff upon being captured. This was stupid even in 3, because if I got caught I'd just enter my inventory and drop my stuff on the floor until I was confronted and then pick it back up, all just to pay a fine for doing something frivolous on accident... like moving an owned object to picking a lock and getting seen by a guard with a god like vision around a corner or something.

6.) I'd also like if more of the faces felt real. What I mean is I took my time making my face in Oblivion and it looked pretty good for that horrid creation tool. Where as so many of the faces of the in game characters seriously looked like the developers hit the random generator button :?. Also the characters voices could sound more believable. I got very tired of the calm boring voices in TES4 to the point that I started to miss the text dialogue of TES3.

7.) I hope the world in 5 is expansive too. TES4 oddly felt much smaller than 3. It also felt less varied. Like every place in 4 felt like the same land but maybe with different weather... where as in 3 towns felt very different. Like in 3 there's a town in the middle of a sand storm and there's a colossal crab shell serving as the main building... while other places felt like a small fishing village in the marsh... and then the capital is like a giant city on top of water kinda like Venice in it's own way (Hmm... Vivec...Venice).

PM
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 7:46 am

It may be a combination of the best parts of 3 and 4, both won GOTY, and 4 did it with all of those annoying giltches. As for the leveling deal, leveling took WAY TOO LONG! Also the thing about NPC and enemy leveling, everything should have a fixed level, no leveled NPC's (such as guards). Fix the combat system where if you hit an ally in a fight, you are not charged with assault or murder. As for human enemies like bandits and maraduers, stick them with fur and Iron armor, respectivly, and iron weapons. If they could afford Glass and Daedric items, they would not be bandits or maraduers. As for the cities, they were fine in 4, but make them bigger same with major battles.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 10:30 am

i miss the permanent stats, armor, and weapons i got in morrowind through enchanting with soultrap i was p*s*ed they removed it in oblivion but you like covered all aspects already but i am looking forward to the MorrOblivion Mod to be completed the Champion of Cyrodil is The Nerevarine! i hope they make it to where the oblivion main quest dont start until you beat the morrowind main quest they have morrowind the people some with dialogue and some quests they intend for it too be exactly the same as the original morrowind

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:21 am

Combat - In Oblivion the combat was sooooo slow and heavy. It took like 10 seconds to swing a sword once. In this one it needs to be quick, and even quicker if you are a ninja / rogue type class.

Graphics - Oblivion had arguably the best graphics of 2006. I cried my eyes out when it wouldn't work properly on my old PC because it was too powerful :cry:. But anyways, I don't want the outdated Fallout 3 engine, or even an improved version of it. This just has to blow me away, like it's predecessor. The best thing graphically about Oblivion was the faces, and conversing with people. It was so real at the time. I hope they improve this too.

Cutscenes - There were only 2 in Oblivion. This is a singleplayer game (well, I assume it will be), not an MMORPG, so cutscenes wouldn't make it awkward to cut from real-time. At least have them for the main quest line, and perhaps the final quests in the guilds.

Mounts - Since there was a dragon in the trailer, why not be able to fly them around the land? Also maybe ride on siege weapons if there are big battles.

Simple set classes - What I mean by this is, if you don't want to go through all the riff-raff of choosing abilities (of course if you are going to spend many, many hours on it then you probably wouldn't mind doing this), you could just press one button to choose your class. Just a straightfoward Warrior, Mage, Rogue etc.

Better loading times - Morrowind had no loading times for towns, you just waltzed right in!

Humor - Oblivion had some funny parts, like the completely mental guy who just wanted some skooma... Well that's all I can think of right now, but yeah, alongside the seriousness of the game, have some funny parts, maybe goblins (they're always funny), drunk people in the taverns, bandits who try to cause chaos but get it all wrong etc. I don't know, just some ideas.

Boss Battles - Maybe get through a dungeon or castle for a quest, and then you enter the final room, where the boss has got something evil cooked up for you which is different from all the other enemies, and there is a big red health bar in the corner.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 12:44 am

Most if not all of your problems listed could have been altered or fixed with mods for the PC version. Sole reason why I'll never buy a Bethesda game for console is that the pc version is always leagues better due to the modding community able to keep the game new and fresh with additional mods that add game play twists or entirely new questlines, also if the game is buggy you can bet on a community patch before an official one.

On Topic: yes, I would be very happy if they from day one did everything you described to increase the immersion of the game, I didn't really feel a sense of power running across a normal bandit in full daedric armor trying to bludgeon me to death with a glass sledgehammer.....

As for me nothing was more immersive breaking than to hear any given npc talk in a different accent depending on the question asked, don't spend your entire budget on one big name voice actor(I.E.:Patrick Stewart) and phone it in with the rest.

Scrollin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Dec 2010, 3:37 am

As long as TES 5 isn't just a re-hash of Oblivion I'll be happy, of course TES 5 shouldn't be a re-invention of the series... If you have a good basis why change it? Although, there are a few things that I would appreciate being changed.

1. Combat.
Combat in Oblivion was satisfying but could've been ALOT more.

2. Spells.
Two Worlds 2 is currently holding the guiness world record for the "Most spells in a video game". Two Worlds 2 has SO many spells I doubt TES 5 could match this however a few more would be nice.

3. Graphics/Visuals
Oblivion made my eyes bleed (in the best way possible) but with new tech I believe TES 5 could make it even better (or worse for my eyes).

4. A.I. Character schedules in Oblivion werea awesome but outside those schedules A.I. often messed up.

I didn't mind the leveling system or anything in Oblivion but although Oblivion had HUGE replay value and amount of quests... I still want MOAR!! ! (in the words of /b/).

Scrollin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Dec 2010, 3:38 am

As long as TES 5 isn't just a re-hash of Oblivion I'll be happy, of course TES 5 shouldn't be a re-invention of the series... If you have a good basis why change it? Although, there are a few things that I would appreciate being changed.

1. Combat.

2. Spells.
Two Worlds 2 is currently holding the guiness world record for the "Most spells in a video game". Two Worlds 2 has SO many spells I doubt TES 5 could match this however a few more would be nice.

3. Graphics/Visuals
Oblivion made my eyes bleed (in the best way possible) but with new tech I believe TES 5 could make it even better (or worse for my eyes).

4. A.I. Character schedules in Oblivion werea awesome but outside those schedules A.I. often messed up.

I didn't mind the leveling system or anything in Oblivion but although Oblivion had HUGE replay value and amount of quests... I still want MOAR!! ! (in the words of /b/).

Scrollin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Dec 2010, 3:39 am

1. Combat.

2. Spells.

3. Graphics/Visuals

Scrollin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Dec 2010, 3:41 am

Oh, soz for the multiple posts, my internet was screwing up.

Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 6:33 am

Multiplayer coop.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 6:26 am

That I'll have the time to play it.

91 wrote:
Multiplayer coop.

If they did this, I would make the time to play it.

Fehndrix
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2010, 12:03 pm

TES:V won't be a rehash of Oblivion. Bethesda's developing it with a whole new engine.

As for my wishes:

Dual wielding would be nice if they balance it against using a shield. Not being able to block, etc.

Co-Op would be great if they don't turn it into an MMO.

Make it a bit more challenging.

More variety in weapons. Spears should make a return. Give us a dragoon-like class.

When you reach the head of a guild, they should make it feel like you're the head of the guild. Weekly check-ins with your second-in-command just don't cut it.

Maybe some execution-style kills if you're an assassin?

Also the werewolf deal should return. Being a vampire in Oblivion was cool, but I missed being a werewolf as well.

More ranged weapons than bows. Crossbows, throwing stars perhaps.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:34 am

Can I say "Real Time Upgradeable Towns and Fortresses?" Oh well I tried. More stable game engine. Mod friendly too =/

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 4:39 pm

A better way to manage your backpack items would be nice. Also, a more interesting leveling system. I would like to see online game play similar to White Knight Chronicles on PS3, but I know it won't happen.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 8:53 pm

I would prefer it to be more to it's ES:3 Morrowind ways, but with more features.. Oblivion to me is like Morrowind-lite, so I am hoping with this new Elder scrolls release will not be even more quote on quote "Gamer Friendly"... Morrowind was the best and easy enough to get a handle on as a noob.

I would really like it if the caves were not all the same and not very similar looking.. It's got to be hard to make different looking caves though.

More interactive experience, lots more extra things to do when u get bored of quests and all. The poison apple in oblivion guard tower for example... Frikkin' Hilarious and fun! I would like more things to put in the house, maybe get a room mate, or more.

some less reppitition in quests... I have lots of hopes.. Dunno if they are rational, but I can still dream!...

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 1:07 am

Random Dungeon generators?