Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2012, 4:34 pm

I am wondering if i should get this portable system...

I tried it out the other day, i like the screen and all the tech. Still miffed by the whole propriety memory card but Sony is not easily forgiven on that front.

For this system, i am gonna go all downloads on the games and go for physical media

Anyone else going for the vita?

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 4:37 pm

The 3ds had to drop the price 80 dollars immediately, and if the saels of the vita are the same in the us as in Japan than it will probably have to do something similar. So if you plan to buy it waiting a month or so could save you a good amount of money

Last edited by Alexender on 19 Feb 2012, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KoffSyrup
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2012, 5:50 pm

I got mine the other day, it's not a bad little system, and the screen is even better than I imagined, on certain games (wipeout 2048) in particular the graphics are very good. The system is comfortable to hold, the analog sticks are of much greater comfort/ usability than the slider on the 3ds. One thing that annoys me about the system is the way some of the games use the touch screen controls. In certain wituations it is very practical and a better way of doing things, but some of the games I've played for it, they unnecessarily try to shoehorn them in. For instance in uncharted, you have to draw along lines that pop up pn the screen in order to cut stuff with a machete. It just isn't fun. That's one of my biggest peeves in the gaming industry, sometimes instead of working on just delivering a quality, fun game, developers want to reinvent the wheel. I'm all for originality where it counts, but dont throw in touch controls etc where it makes no sense to do so.

Aside from that however, it's quite a good little system and theres already a few good (good not great) titles for it with some great ones in the pipeline for the near future. I had a 3DS for a while but I just couldn't get used to it. It didn't really matter to me how good the games were because I hated the system itself.The screens were too small, the physical build of the system felt cheap, it cramped my hands to use it, and I absolutely hate using a stylus. Thankfully the vita doesn't do any of those things. I just hope that most developers will have the common sense to only use the alternative conteol methods in a meaningful way, or at very leadt make them optional. If they do that then I can see the vita doing quite well.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 11:12 pm

TBH if the Vita isn't selling well there's not much incentive to get it. Developers will stop making games for it. Right now it looks good and the games are good. It's up to you whether the current list of upcoming games justifies a purchase. If it does, it may be worth the risk of buying it and seeing how it holds out in the future.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 3DS. Too much like the DS, too much of a gimmick.

Endinglignt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Feb 2012, 12:53 am

I love Sony. Their Tech always blows my mind and I will always be a play station guy.
Sony has had bad luck in hand held systems. The psp was hacked on day 1. The analog stick hurts my thumb after 5 minutes and paying for memory sticks are nuts. The only reason I picked up the psp was FTP play the persona games and even then they ruined persona 3.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 8:59 am

Get the Nintendo 3DS instead along with "Super Mario 3D Land" and "Kid Icarus Uprising" when it comes out in a month or so. The PS Vita sounds too expensive at $300.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:31 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
TBH if the Vita isn't selling well there's not much incentive to get it. Developers will stop making games for it. Right now it looks good and the games are good. It's up to you whether the current list of upcoming games justifies a purchase. If it does, it may be worth the risk of buying it and seeing how it holds out in the future.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 3DS. Too much like the DS, too much of a gimmick.

A little doom and gloom isn't it? The consoles that had awful support over here (The Saturn, Master System, PSP and Gamecube) had excellent libraries that had little to no shovelware so this system maybe worth obtaining for those one off great titles which will likely never be ported to another system for years.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:54 pm

I'll get it in a few years. Not now though. The price is too high for a handheld.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2012, 7:00 pm

I got it, the oled screen is amazing for Netflix!! ! Much better than my professional monitor for my pc; though it is much smaller.
The whites and the blacks...amazing contrast for movies.

I only have lumines and Rayman though to play. Lumines is a fun tetris type game.

Rayman is a pc port. 2d platformer, it is fun too.

So I don't have any games to interact online. Or that uses a touch screen. I don't usually play 2d fighter games; but was thinking on getting Blazblue. What would people recommend?

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 7:07 pm

I would get Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, instead. I found Blazblue really frustrating.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2012, 7:13 pm

I've tried playing Marvel Vs Capcom on consoles, and I always find too much happening at once in a fight for me to process it all. ^^;
Maybe its because I don't give the game much of a chance.
I would have a lot of time to practice if I get it for the handheld. I doubt anyone will want to borrow a fighting game; should I buy it via the PSN network?

Last edited by Infoseeker on 27 Feb 2012, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 4:40 am

Given the choice I'd always go with a physical copy.
Best price I've seen is at Amazon.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 11:59 am

1. too expensive right now
2. does not have a decent library of titles yet
3. ipod/iphones make most of the vita's functions obsolete
4. the original psp still has plenty of life in it

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 12:36 pm

minervx wrote:

My main issue is the price of storage media. I have an iTouch and PSP and still want one. Anyone I know who's got one is very impressed and I'm finding it difficult to say no.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 4:23 pm

minervx wrote:

Eh? It has rear touch and buttons, something the ipod/phone doesn't have.

The rest I agree with.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 5:47 pm

PS Vita is a bunch of BS IMHO, I'd rather wait for the PS4 instead.

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie