What game characters do you like that other people hate?

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 4:30 pm

Are there any characters that gets a lot of negative feedback from a lot of other people that you DO like? It seems everyone either loves them or hates them, nothing in between. And the haters are constantly at war with the lovers. Here are a few characters I actually like:

-Most of the Sonic characters (except Big the Cat)
-Yoshi (he's just too cuuuute! :D I have plushies of a pink and a blue Yoshi that my Mario and Luigi plushies can ride).
-Toad (Also have two blue and yellow-spotted Toady plushies).
-Peach. Peach! PEACH!! ! :D
-Mr. Resetti (I think he's funny. Yeah I'm weird).
-The dog from Duck Hunt (even as a kid I thought he was funny).

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 4:45 pm

Pikachu and Raichu, two of my favorite electric types. Also I'm apparently the only person who doesn't hate Axel Almer from Super Robot Wars.

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 6:19 pm

Yoshi's hated? o_o
I know that many like making fat jokes on Wario, and Wario is awesome, so yeah... him.

aliensyndrome
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2012, 6:53 pm

I was a huge Toad fan and used him religiously in Mario Kart and SMB 2, except when it made absolute sense to use someone who could jump higher.

On the contrary, I much dislike Conker's Bad Fur Day, a game that everyone I know who knows it seems to love.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 8:03 pm

i love wario but he must smell terrible with all the garlic and farting. my favorite thing is his "excellent" from wario ware inc/wario land 4

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 10:56 pm

I'm not sure exactly sure about the reputation of some of them, but here's all who I can think of:

Big the cat - From the Sonic series, first introduced in Sonic Adventure. I find him funny and not at all annoying. Also cool that he's just so different from the more recent overly anime or even DBZ inspired characters.

Tingle - From the Zelda series, first seen in Majora's Mask, though his Wind Waker form is my favorite. By extension I also like Purlo, but people don't talk about him anywhere near as much.

Fi - From Zelda: Skyward Sword. I do think there is a problem with her popping in every 2 seconds to tell the obvious, but I feel that's more to do with bad game design than it is her character. Others say she "has no character", but that's really what she's supposed to be; a robot or computer. At the risk of maybe spoiling a bit much, something she says to Link towards the end of the game hints towards this greatly. I also feel it's supposed to contrast Ghirahim's more extreme emotions.

Samus - Well, not exactly. I guess people hated the way they characterized her in Metroid: Other M. I didn't feel much one way or the other, but I found it believable and thought it was their right to make her however they wanted, with no real set character made in any of the previous games. People talk about it being sexist or her being made into a cry baby, and I just can't understand any of those arguments. Her relationship with Adam reminded me of the one between Snake and the Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3, of which, so far as I know, nobody complained about.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2012, 6:56 pm

Voiced protagonists in RPGs.....

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 7:35 pm

Glass Joe from Punchout for the NES!

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 8:13 pm

I always liked the Valkerie from Gauntlet. I think she was the least played of the 4 original classes.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 10:17 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

I agree completely. I love Shepard from Mass Effect and even Hawke from Dragon Age II. I find that the character being fully voiced adds to the game experience a lot.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 10:43 pm

RockDrummer616 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

I agree completely. I love Shepard from Mass Effect and even Hawke from Dragon Age II. I find that the character being fully voiced adds to the game experience a lot.

I think the problem with voiced RPG characters from a purist stand point is it kind of defeats a portion of the purpose of and RPG that is do design and create your own character. I prevoiced character kind of steals that element away from the player. Although I think that the Dentons from the Deus Ex serries kind of worked well.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 2:00 am

RockDrummer616 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

I don't think people hated the male Shepherd, it's just that he sounded so monotone in comparison to the female Shepherd Jennifer Hale. However I liked his voice, it was simple and monotone, there was a seriousness to it. The Mass effect trilogy has a dark, deep tone to it and I thought the male voice actor was perfect for the role.

For instance, I wouldn't have liked it if it had this type of voice acting.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQycMWkZjU[/youtube]

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 2:01 am

I like most of the Sonic characters... Probably mainly because of nostalgia but I still do lol.

xXSeaShellXx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2012, 12:34 pm

I liked Excella Gionne from Resident Evil 5. I mean I thought she was pretty hot and I loved how badass they made her as a playable character for The Mercenaries Reunion. I haven't really met anyone who likes her though, people only want to like the old Resident Evil characters like Chris, Jill, and Wesker.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 4:19 pm

Duke Nukem

InTheLight
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2012, 2:04 am

I thought everybody liked Yoshi.