New Xbox is called Xbox One, airing live right now.

Page 2 of 10 [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 11:55 am

Agreed... there was really NO need for a new generation of console at this point. While the cutting edge of technology gets duller every day, the curve has not fallen away sufficiently to warrant it...

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 12:18 pm

Me too.

I'm not sure if that would smack of antitrust, but once you buy a copy of a game, it is your right to sell/give that copy to whomever you wish...you just can't keep a copy and sell a copy.

This would be a bad trend in the gaming industry.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 12:20 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Agreed... there was really NO need for a new generation of console at this point. While the cutting edge of technology gets duller every day, the curve has not fallen away sufficiently to warrant it...

I disagree. Certainly video and other hardware is light years ahead of the 360 by now. The problem was always how to make an AIR COOLED gaming console into a small package. The 360 made a (then) revolutionary 3-core parallel processor to produce higher performance without excessive heat, but the problem has never gone away.

A regular PC with somewhat top-notch hardware still cranks out a lot of heat when fully-employed in gaming.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 1:50 pm

The PS4 seems to be more a re-engineering than a whole new level of graphics hardware. Being based on the AMD APU architecture, it's 100% the same as PC, making software creation and porting way easier. Re-engineering for instant-on and ease-of-use is a smart plan too. Being able to start the game without having to load the whole thing? Smart!

I really hope they also make the thing silent... the 1st gen PS3 was like a hairdryer! My 2nd gen still makes a little annoying fan noise... that's just lazy engineering in my books.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 May 2013, 2:07 pm

Speaking of the unreliability of Xbox, my 360 stopped working yesterday. I can't get it to turn on. AT ALL.

I think I might have to replace the power supply. Damn it.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 2:11 pm

I was never really planning to get the new Xbox anyway. This just confirmed my previous decision.

Those exclusives had better be good, or the new Xbox is going to drown in the seas of hell before it gets a single purchase.

MEANWHILE, I'M GOING TO GO PLAY THE PS4.

Author/Writer

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 May 2013, 2:18 pm

:P

I'd still wait on the PS4. Wait until the launch is out of the way and they work out all the bugs.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 2:26 pm

Just requiring an internet connection is enough to make me not buy it. I never even got my wii hooked up to the internet. I don't have wifi and only have 1 internet cord which isn't leaving my computer.

Wolfer
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2013, 3:38 pm

i rather there be more great games to play, not a new system that is a disaster before its even out.

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2013, 4:41 pm

Feralucce wrote:
sixstring wrote:
When you put the game in, you're forced to completely install the game. After which the network will link the game with the system.
So multiple users can use the same game on the same system, but it's not possible to play them on another system.
So say goodbye to borrowing games from friends.

Please give a citation for this. This was a rumor that both MS and Sony have denied... I would like to see a source

Per Wired Magazine (link):

Quote:
Always Online?

There’s one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the console’s hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

This really, really does not look good. I'd comment more about this, but I'm not really sure what to say...other than that with all these crazy restrictions it had better ship at pretty damn low price-point. (And price is the one thing I've not seen discussed anywhere, curiously. Also it sure sounds like an XBLA-Gold type membership is going to be pretty much mandatory, doesn't it?)

At some point I'll have to go over to XBox Fanboi Central a/k/a Ready Up Live's message boards and see what they've got to say...Since it sure seems like they're the folks the people behind the XBox One are turning their backs on. Maybe an overreaction my part, but stuff like this is leaving me agog:

Quote:
Wired editor Peter Rubin spent multiple days at Microsoft’s Redmond campus learning all about Xbox One in advance of the announcement, and most of what the Microsoft execs wanted to talk about was entertainment as a whole, not just games. “The decision wasn’t ‘we need a gamebox,’” Xbox executive Marc Whitten told Wired.

So in the grand scheme of things, Microsoft isn’t any more interested in hardcore gamers than it is any other potential consumer.

Good grief. Who exactly made the XBox what it is, again? 8O

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2013, 5:20 pm

Feralucce wrote:
I guess that's why publishers were begging Sony and Microsoft to bring out new, way more powerful consoles huh.

Feralucce wrote:
sixstring wrote:
When you put the game in, you're forced to completely install the game. After which the network will link the game with the system.
So multiple users can use the same game on the same system, but it's not possible to play them on another system.
So say goodbye to borrowing games from friends.

Please give a citation for this. This was a rumor that both MS and Sony have denied... I would like to see a source
Microsoft has confirmed this themselves.
You can play the games on another system though, but only on your account.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -xbox-one/

Anyway, there are countless of GIF's spreading around the internet, but this is by far the funniest one.

http://i.minus.com/iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

All the greatest games in the world won't save this system from being utter crap.

But after all I'm pretty grateful to Microsoft. I was having a crappy week, their hilariously bad presentation cheered me up.

Last edited by sixstring on 22 May 2013, 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 5:22 pm

I'm not suprised that it was a bad presentation, Microsoft focus on the multimedia side of the Xbox since a while. They don't focus much on games.

Last edited by Tollorin on 22 May 2013, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 5:54 pm

BlueMax wrote:
The PS4 seems to be more a re-engineering than a whole new level of graphics hardware. Being based on the AMD APU architecture, it's 100% the same as PC, making software creation and porting way easier. Re-engineering for instant-on and ease-of-use is a smart plan too. Being able to start the game without having to load the whole thing? Smart!

I really hope they also make the thing silent... the 1st gen PS3 was like a hairdryer! My 2nd gen still makes a little annoying fan noise... that's just lazy engineering in my books.

It only happens with certain PS3s. My 2009 fat model made no sound whatsoever, but the PS3 I just got, a 2009 slim model, does. Sometimes the fans go up to level 5 (where it sounds like a hair dryer) for no reason!

Anyway, I will skip the Xbox One. I mean, think about it.

Most of the features will be either useless, or cost too much money. Xbox TV will be the cost of XBL + your cable bill. It's not worth it. And what use will there be for pinching your fingers together to end a movie? Really now, MS?

They only mentioned certain games too. A new Forza, a new Madden, and a new CoD. Yawn. Not to mention this DRM BS.

MS is trying to go back to their PC roots, I guess. It makes sense because MS has always treated its systems like red-headed stepchildren. The money that the 360 lost them due to repairs had to have eaten at them, especially when it's their operating systems that make them the most money, along with the computer companies paying them for USING their operating systems.

Xbox and 360 just haven't had enough decent varied games for my taste. It's the very definition of excess, in all the wrong ways. It's too geared towards casuals. Look at all the shooters! For me, Xbox (original) had the Otogi games, and Fable. 360 had the HD remaster of Guardian Heroes, Fable 2, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and....that's it. Everything else is either on Wii or PS3 along with 360, or just on Wii and PS3 period. :?

It's distressing to see the Xbox fanboys jump out of the woodwork, defending these awful practices too. *sigh*

AspergerGamer64
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 May 2013, 6:00 pm

Here's some more bad news about the Xbox One:

Indie developers cannot publish their own games. I repeat, INDIE DEVELOPERS CANNOT PUBLISH THEIR OWN GAMES!

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2013, 7:36 pm

And yet again some more bad news. It's not compatible with any existing gaming headsets. So much fun for people who spent 200 dollars on one.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/ ... g-headsets

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 8:18 pm

Hahaha... not getting one now. Not even to replace my stupid 360.

The 360 is 10x better than this piece of crap. I'm not getting Xbox One for anything. It'll just eat up more money than my 360 is already. :x