New Xbox is called Xbox One, airing live right now.

Page 3 of 10 [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 8:22 pm

AspergerGamer64 wrote:
Here's some more bad news about the Xbox One:

Indie developers cannot publish their own games. I repeat, INDIE DEVELOPERS CANNOT PUBLISH THEIR OWN GAMES!

It seem that indie games will still be there, but not on a separate channel. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124246-Microsoft-Dropping-Xbox-Live-Arcade-and-Indie-Games-Channels

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2013, 8:30 pm

Tollorin wrote:
AspergerGamer64 wrote:

Indie developers cannot publish their own games. I repeat, INDIE DEVELOPERS CANNOT PUBLISH THEIR OWN GAMES!

It seem that indie games will still be there, but not on a separate channel. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124246-Microsoft-Dropping-Xbox-Live-Arcade-and-Indie-Games-Channels
They will still be there, but they'll be forced to work either with publishers, losing money to them, or to work with Microsoft, which treats Indie developers almost as badly as they're treating their loyal customers now.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 9:00 pm

:lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-dEy6XSlyY&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2013, 9:28 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDvXPr1-Hz4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT4vJY5JpDo[/youtube]

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 9:57 pm

And people used to complain about DLC... This is the next level of doom. I'll eat cat turds before I buy this thing...

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 10:57 pm

sixstring wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
AspergerGamer64 wrote:

They will still be there, but they'll be forced to work either with publishers, losing money to them, or to work with Microsoft, which treats Indie developers almost as badly as they're treating their loyal customers now.

Um... that's the current model...

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 10:59 pm

hblu1992 wrote:
yeah.... there is no way I'm going to blow $400 on a supped up Xbox 360 thats more annoying to use and tracks me so that its creators can make me spend more on their products.

Microsoft go screw yourself :x

They will track you in more ways than one, though!

www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-micro ... r-the-mpaa

They will even check how many people are in the room at the same time! O.o Better keep your clothes on at all times, if you want an Xbox One!

Seriously, what garbage.... =_=; but it is of course Microsoft we're talking about. I suppose only EA could've come up with an idea of a console as brilliant as this!

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 11:01 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
Agreed... there was really NO need for a new generation of console at this point. While the cutting edge of technology gets duller every day, the curve has not fallen away sufficiently to warrant it...

I disagree. Certainly video and other hardware is light years ahead of the 360 by now. The problem was always how to make an AIR COOLED gaming console into a small package. The 360 made a (then) revolutionary 3-core parallel processor to produce higher performance without excessive heat, but the problem has never gone away.

A regular PC with somewhat top-notch hardware still cranks out a lot of heat when fully-employed in gaming.

Yes, they are... but with the target display being 1080p 30 or 60 (what the tvs can handle) frames a second, the current hardware is MORE than adequate...

That and, honestly, the developers are finally mastering the system... Upping the system graphics capabilities does nothing when the developers are behind the curve or insist on turning out crap games

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 11:04 pm

sixstring wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
Agreed... there was really NO need for a new generation of console at this point. While the cutting edge of technology gets duller every day, the curve has not fallen away sufficiently to warrant it...
I guess that's why publishers were begging Sony and Microsoft to bring out new, way more powerful consoles huh.

Odd... several industry magazines have stated otherwise...

sixstring wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
sixstring wrote:
When you put the game in, you're forced to completely install the game. After which the network will link the game with the system.
So multiple users can use the same game on the same system, but it's not possible to play them on another system.
So say goodbye to borrowing games from friends.

Please give a citation for this. This was a rumor that both MS and Sony have denied... I would like to see a source
Microsoft has confirmed this themselves.
You can play the games on another system though, but only on your account.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -xbox-one/

Anyway, there are countless of GIF's spreading around the internet, but this is by far the funniest one.

http://i.minus.com/iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

All the greatest games in the world won't save this system from being utter crap.

But after all I'm pretty grateful to Microsoft. I was having a crappy week, their hilariously bad presentation cheered me up.

And thank you for the citation. Up til then, they had been denying it.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2013, 11:46 pm

Feralucce wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

I disagree. Certainly video and other hardware is light years ahead of the 360 by now. The problem was always how to make an AIR COOLED gaming console into a small package. The 360 made a (then) revolutionary 3-core parallel processor to produce higher performance without excessive heat, but the problem has never gone away.

A regular PC with somewhat top-notch hardware still cranks out a lot of heat when fully-employed in gaming.

Yes, they are... but with the target display being 1080p 30 or 60 (what the tvs can handle) frames a second, the current hardware is MORE than adequate...

That and, honestly, the developers are finally mastering the system... Upping the system graphics capabilities does nothing when the developers are behind the curve or insist on turning out crap games
PS3 and Xbox 360 do provide 1080p output, but all the games on those systems run at 720p max. Also, they run at 30FPS. All full HD tv's support 60 FPS.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 12:18 am

sixstring wrote:
PS3 and Xbox 360 do provide 1080p output, but all the games on those systems run at 720p max. Also, they run at 30FPS. All full HD tv's support 60 FPS.

I know... That is what I was saying about target resolution and framerate.

I hate to say it, but you are wrong about your statement about 720p max. The list is short, but there are games that play at 1080p on both consoles.

This list is in no way comprehensive
PS3 games that are native 1080p:
Cars Mater-National = 1280x720 (QAA), 1920x1080 (QAA)
Fifa Street 3 = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Full Auto 2 (demo) = 1920x1080 (4x AA)
GT5 Prologue (demo) = 1080p mode is 1280x1080 (2xAA) in-game while the garage/pit/showrooms are 1920x1080 with no AA. 720p mode is 1280x720 (4xAA)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance = 1280x720 & 1920x1080 (no AA)
MLB09: The Show = 1280x720 (2xAA) or 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA07 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA08 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA Street Home court (screenshot) = 1920x1080 (no AA
Ridge Racer 7 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel = 1280x720 when sub-HD output selected, 1920x1080 for any HD output (no AA)
Virtua Tennis 3 = 1920x1080 (2x AA)
World Series Of Poker 2008 = 1920x1080 (2xAA)

PSN games:
Blast Factor = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Calling All Cars (screenshot) = 1920x1080 (4x AA)
Commando 3 = 1280x720 (4xAA) or 1920x1080 (2xAA)
Echochrome = 1920x1080 (2xAA)
Elefunk = 1920x1080 (4xAA)
Fat Princess = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Go Puzzle = 1920x1080
High Velocity Bowling = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Locoroco Cocoreccho = 1920x1080 (2x AA)
Pixel Junk Monsters/Racers/Eden = 1920x1080
Rocketmen = 1920x1080 (2xAA)
Sudoku = 1920x1080
Wipeout HD = dynamic-framerate-dependent 1080p framebuffer (1280x1080 to 1920x1080)

XBOX 360 games:
Fifa Street 3 = 1920x1080 (4xAA)
NBA Street Home court (demo) = 1920x1080 (4xAA)
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel = 1920x1080 for any HD output (including PC res), 1280x960 for 4:3 output, 1376x768 for 480p widescreen (no AA)
Virtua Tennis 3 = 1920x1080 (2xAA)

XBLA games:
Boogie Bunnies = 1920x1080 (4xAA)

What is often confused for output resolution is actually asset resolution and management.

That being said... My point remains... why move on to NEW tech when most of the current developers don't take advantage of the capabilities OLD tech. And if they are taking advantage the capabilities of OLD tech, why do so many games look like crap.

For the record, eventually, game manufacturers will realize something that we video producers have known for a couple years... frame rates above 30 fps can cause discomfort to a statistically significant portion of the population... headaches, nausea, aching eyes...

Either way... I stand by my opinion... the latest gears of war and halo entries showed us what the console was capable of... and now, they are moving on, with a completely different architecture that is forcing devs to start from ground one.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2013, 12:26 am

Those games that run at "1080p" are simply running at 720p with digital upscaling. It's not true 1080p.

"Why move on to NEW tech when most of the current developers don't take advantage of the capabilities OLD tech. And if they are taking advantage the capabilities of OLD tech, why do so many games look like crap."
8O Dafuq are you talking about. Currently developers are squeezing every last bit of performance the current generation of consoles is capable off.
They look like crap, because you're so used to watching games that your eyes have been adapting to what PC's are capable off. Our current gen is enormously lagging behind on PC, and this is why the games look much worse on our current consoles than on PC.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 12:38 am

sixstring wrote:
Those games that run at "1080p" are simply running at 720p with digital upscaling. It's not true 1080p.

"Why move on to NEW tech when most of the current developers don't take advantage of the capabilities OLD tech. And if they are taking advantage the capabilities of OLD tech, why do so many games look like crap."
8O Dafuq are you talking about. Currently developers are squeezing every last bit of performance the current generation of consoles is capable off.
They look like crap, because you're so used to watching games that your eyes have been adapting to what PC's are capable off. Our current gen is enormously lagging behind on PC, and this is why the games look much worse on our current consoles than on PC.

Um...I'm not a PC gamer... I have an 8 core monster... but that is because i need it for the Non-linear editing software I use for my films...

Though... resolution RARELY has ANYTHING to do with how a game looks... Metroid Other M... absolutely beautiful.
Halo 4... visually breathtaking...
Latest Gears of War Game... GORGEOUS...
720p, 30fps.

They look like crap in comparison to games of the same year and month on the same console...

Odd that the benchmark mods that have been run on a great deal of games don't show that they are squeezing much at all...

And "dafuq" I am talking about is documented studies that show issues with frame rates over 30fps due to the way that the images are rendered and how the brain processes imagery...

Either way, I am sure we can agree that the XB1 is NOT the way to proceed

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 12:52 am

Quote:
Update: Jon Hicks, the editor of Official Xbox magazine, has claimed that pre-owned games will be un-installed from the previous owner's system and installed onto another's. It is not clear if this process would negate a pre-owned fee.

source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -xbox-one/

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 2:15 am

This console, just.... ugh.

I remember when I first heard all the stuff about it, the first line that came to my mind was "Wow.... it's like they REALLY hate money! They sure as heck dont want mine, anyway"

Just.... bloody amazing.

Not that I consider any of this a PROBLEM, mind you. I've already dropped all of the damn consoles in favor of PC gaming, and holy hell am I glad I did.

Still hilarious though. I wont buy even a single product shown there, but I will be watching E3 with great, great interest this time, mostly because I'm expecting great, great hilarity.

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2013, 8:14 am

Being a previous xbox 360 owner I can't say I'll be giving MS any more of my money. I enjoyed playing on it and made some friends through it but I hate the fact I have to pay to play online or to watch certain Tv apps, it's pretty much the cost of an extra game I could be buying. I switched to PS3 a while ago and haven't looked back since. I'm hoping the PS4 will be free to play online just like PS3 is, I can't see why it would change but who knows. It'll be interesting to see what else comes out for these next-gen consoles over the next few months. I still find it pretty funny that MS have only just put in a BD in the year 2013.