Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Ostemaden
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2014, 6:32 pm

Am i the only one here that find Portal 2 to be extremely overrated? I'm not saying i hate the game. In fact, i like it. But everytime someone doesn't like the game, the fanbase immediately acts like PewDiePie's moronic fanbrats. Only slightly more mature and rational. Slightly.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 6:40 pm

Ostemaden wrote:
Am i the only one here that find Portal 2 to be extremely overrated? I'm not saying i hate the game. In fact, i like it. But everytime someone doesn't like the game, the fanbase immediately acts like PewDiePie's moronic fanbrats. Only slightly more mature and rational. Slightly.

That goes along side any video game fanbase in my opinion. Yes there are a lot of good games out there but the fanbase will always make a game seem overrated.

Last edited by dcj123 on 01 Jan 2014, 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 7:15 pm

Ostemaden wrote:

Not really sure how the word "overrated" applies here. Sounds more like a matter of personal taste. If the game were incredibly buggy or had gaping plot holes or were in some way offensive or had really unpractical mechanics or in some way measurably poor level design or bad voice acting or something, I guess you could make a case for a game being overrated based on people's denial of its obvious flaws, but if your whole argument is "it's good, but some people are jerks about it", that could apply to anything and doesn't really say anything about the game itself. You're going to find dogmatic fanatics in every fanbase.

My view on Portal 2: I enjoyed it enough to immediately want to replay it. Personally, I find the story engaging, the details enjoyable, the humor funny and the level design and game mechanics very pleasant and just the right kind of challenging for me. That's personal experience. I consider it one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. If it's not one of the most enjoyable games you've ever played, that's perfectly fine with me. It doesn't change my experience of the game, and it doesn't in any way challenge my view of it, just as my view of it shouldn't challenge yours. Only your experience can define your experience. If everyone were way into sci-fi comedy first person 3D puzzle platform games, that'd be pretty weird, and the market would look pretty different. The game speaks to my sensibilities. To expect it to speak to everyone's sensibilities would be silly. To me, the game isn't overrated, because the only flaw I experienced as I was playing it was that it was a bit short. If the game simply didn't speak to you, or if you saw flaws in it that I didn't, that doesn't change my experience.

"Overrated", as a concept, implies that there's some kind of objective rating the game "should have" and that the widely given (higher) rating is somehow "wrong". Given the experience I and many others had of the game, it's pretty safe to say that "overrated" isn't a concept that applies. I think the phrase you're looking for is "not my cup of tea", unless you have some specific and more or less objective-ish critiques of the game rather than of some people you may have spoken to, whom I've never come in contact with.

I only have a vague notion of who PewDiePie is (he's a Youtube guy who does "let's plays", right?), so I have no idea what his moronic fanbrats are like or what similarities they have with the Portal fanbrats I've never heard of before either, so...yeah, no idea what you're talking about there.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 7:19 pm

I think it's just right for what people say about it.

It's not meant to be a Skyrim - with beautiful, massive worlds, or hours upon hours of play time - it's meant to be a shorter experience. But, above all, the experience is fun all the way through - as long as they succeeded with that, I have no issues with it. And they did an excellent job with it too.

Author/Writer

Ostemaden
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2014, 5:15 pm

Vince wrote:
Ostemaden wrote:

Not really sure how the word "overrated" applies here. Sounds more like a matter of personal taste. If the game were incredibly buggy or had gaping plot holes or were in some way offensive or had really unpractical mechanics or in some way measurably poor level design or bad voice acting or something, I guess you could make a case for a game being overrated based on people's denial of its obvious flaws, but if your whole argument is "it's good, but some people are jerks about it", that could apply to anything and doesn't really say anything about the game itself. You're going to find dogmatic fanatics in every fanbase.

My view on Portal 2: I enjoyed it enough to immediately want to replay it. Personally, I find the story engaging, the details enjoyable, the humor funny and the level design and game mechanics very pleasant and just the right kind of challenging for me. That's personal experience. I consider it one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. If it's not one of the most enjoyable games you've ever played, that's perfectly fine with me. It doesn't change my experience of the game, and it doesn't in any way challenge my view of it, just as my view of it shouldn't challenge yours. Only your experience can define your experience. If everyone were way into sci-fi comedy first person 3D puzzle platform games, that'd be pretty weird, and the market would look pretty different. The game speaks to my sensibilities. To expect it to speak to everyone's sensibilities would be silly. To me, the game isn't overrated, because the only flaw I experienced as I was playing it was that it was a bit short. If the game simply didn't speak to you, or if you saw flaws in it that I didn't, that doesn't change my experience.

"Overrated", as a concept, implies that there's some kind of objective rating the game "should have" and that the widely given (higher) rating is somehow "wrong". Given the experience I and many others had of the game, it's pretty safe to say that "overrated" isn't a concept that applies. I think the phrase you're looking for is "not my cup of tea", unless you have some specific and more or less objective-ish critiques of the game rather than of some people you may have spoken to, whom I've never come in contact with.

I only have a vague notion of who PewDiePie is (he's a Youtube guy who does "let's plays", right?), so I have no idea what his moronic fanbrats are like or what similarities they have with the Portal fanbrats I've never heard of before either, so...yeah, no idea what you're talking about there.

PewDiePie's fans usually send messages of death, pain, and rape to those who simply doesn't like him. And when i say a game is overrated, it does not mean i hate these games. In fact, most of the overrated ones, i like. I just feel these games get way more attention than they deserve, hence the term overrated. Portal 2, is one of my favorite games of all time. It's on my top 3 in fact. And you know what? A lot of people agree with me. But seriously people, i think you need to calm the heck down. Today, players attack anyone that simply doesn't like Portal 2 (HOW DARE THESE REVIEWERS AN OPINION?) Now that happen alot of times with games these days, but here's a thing that tips Portal 2 in it's favour. Kotaku, one of the most opinion-friendly websites i know, publicly insulted people that didn't like the game. Very respectful.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 10:39 pm

The game is nice and I don't see a reason for me to not like it. It's okay if other people don't like the game. They just have to say they don't like the game and give a reasonable explanation but keep it brief and respectful. You start a lot of flamewars going beyond that. The worst is the "CoD is better than everything" crowd. I hate those people. I know because my littlest brother (14) is within that crowd.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 3:02 am

it was too easy compared to portal 1

all you had to do was put portals on the white spots to win

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 4:42 am

Ostemaden wrote:
Am i the only one here that find Portal 2 to be extremely overrated?

I haven't played much of #2 yet, but the only thing I thought was overrated was the...what would you call it? Fan service? of the first game.

So much hype, at the time, of the Companion Cube, and "the cake is a lie!", and then I played the game and said "Oh, that's all?"

Did not spend nearly enough time with the cube to form any sort of attachment, as was intended. I only hesitated because I wasn't sure that the answer to that "puzzle" was really that simple, I figured it was a trick.

Also, there was a cake, stop being silly everyone.

Ostemaden
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2014, 1:38 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
The game is nice and I don't see a reason for me to not like it. It's okay if other people don't like the game. They just have to say they don't like the game and give a reasonable explanation but keep it brief and respectful. You start a lot of flamewars going beyond that. The worst is the "CoD is better than everything" crowd. I hate those people. I know because my littlest brother (14) is within that crowd.

They don't really have to give a reasonable explanation for the game. They just simply doesn't like the game, and we should let them be, instead of acting like a flock of ret*ds. Also, respect is a feeling of admiring the quality of a thing or person. So saying that they should be respectful to the game makes you a hypocrite. ''It's okay if other people don't like the game.''

Ostemaden
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2014, 1:40 pm

chris5000 wrote:

I guess you haven't played much of the game then. It becomes very difficult and mind-bending later. You gotta do much more than ''Putting portals on white spots to win''

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 3:10 pm

Ostemaden wrote:
chris5000 wrote:

I guess you haven't played much of the game then. It becomes very difficult and mind-bending later. You gotta do much more than ''Putting portals on white spots to win''

I beat the single player and online day one of launch

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 7:53 pm

Ostemaden wrote:
PewDiePie's fans usually send messages of death, pain, and rape to those who simply doesn't like him. And when i say a game is overrated, it does not mean i hate these games. In fact, most of the overrated ones, i like. I just feel these games get way more attention than they deserve, hence the term overrated. Portal 2, is one of my favorite games of all time. It's on my top 3 in fact. And you know what? A lot of people agree with me. But seriously people, i think you need to calm the heck down. Today, players attack anyone that simply doesn't like Portal 2 (HOW DARE THESE REVIEWERS AN OPINION?) Now that happen alot of times with games these days, but here's a thing that tips Portal 2 in it's favour. Kotaku, one of the most opinion-friendly websites i know, publicly insulted people that didn't like the game. Very respectful.

Still not sure "overrated" is the word you're looking for. This has nothing to do with the game itself. Not even with how highly people rate the game. This has everything to do with people being dicks, and I think we can all agree that being a dick is overrated.

chris5000 wrote:

It's kind of set up so that the game teaches you how to play it while you play it and gets progressively more difficult as you learn. The same goes for the first one. They talked about this on the commentary mode. The sequel just seems easier because you've already played the first game, so the basics you're being taught in the beginning of Portal 2 are already old news. To new players, they're essential. It's like an experimental tutorial in which the game gives you limited information and expects you to figure out the rest by doing it, all while the game is in progress. If you've never played Portal, and you get thrown in near the end of Portal 2, you're going to have a lot of difficulty. That's the point of the game. It lets you learn as you play, so by the time you get to the end, if you've been paying good enough attention and are generally good at problem solving and have good reflexes, et.c., it'll seem a lot easier than if you hadn't learned stuff on the way there. .

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2014, 11:39 pm

I love everything about Portal and Portal 2, citing the latter as one of my favorite games. However, I totally get how people think it is overrated, and it is definitely over-marketed to the point where it feels like some forced cultural thing. With some people the game clicks just right, and with a lot of people it isn't even a blip on the radar.

Earlier today I was wearing an Aperture Laboratories work shirt. I am part of the problem. I'm sorry.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2014, 5:10 am

I liked the humour in both games (for the most part - I wouldn't actually parrot any of these jokes over the internet, though!) but I think that the length of Portal 2 wasn't justified by the actual puzzles, which were mostly simple despite the gradual introduction of new gimmicks. Half of the time the difficulty was in perspective and finding all the surfaces rather than actual logical difficulty, then even more would be solved before you finished the long-winded process of go here, do that... which reduced it to a sort of busywork.