Does anyone here actually make their own games?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Does anyone here make their own games?
No! Too Boring/Time Consuming! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but I've never published. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
No, no interest in doing so whatsoever. 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
No, and I only play professionally made games. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, and I have published. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Other (explain in a comment) 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 2:52 pm

Any games, not just video games.

Personally I create my own video games when I have time to, though I have yet to publish any of them with one exception:

Spoiler wrote:
The Secrets Of Kankara

I use an engine for it (who doesn't use an engine these days?), but so far it's becoming something quite cool. It's been in the works for 3 years now and has gone through 4 primary versions, the last being the one I'm doing now.
I'd post a video of it's previous version if anyone wanted to see it, but since that's not specifically what the topic is about, I won't unless requested.

So, does anyone else here do it?

[Edit: Made into poll]

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 3:00 pm

Making a good game is time consuming, and requires a team that can cooperate well. Furthermore, you need something that's original (or you need to just be extremely lucky, as was the case with Flappy Bird).

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 3:23 pm

When I was a kid I used to create my own mazes. I drew an entire book of mazes. I made them as difficult as possible and was delighted when people found them too hard to solve. Of course, I was very good at solving mazes. I also made up my own word jumbles and crossword puzzles.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 4:55 pm

i only play them, but i do understand how much work goes into making them. (a lot of work)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 4:59 pm

What if the game(s) has only been self-published?

I did work briefly on a game that got remade for consoles, published by THQ, that's the closest I've been to being professionally published.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 9:54 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
What if the game(s) has only been self-published?

I did work briefly on a game that got remade for consoles, published by THQ, that's the closest I've been to being professionally published.

Self-publishing counts too :lol:

Cool, I'm curious, which game was it?

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 10:00 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Making a good game is time consuming, and requires a team that can cooperate well. Furthermore, you need something that's original (or you need to just be extremely lucky, as was the case with Flappy Bird).

Most of the time yes, it would require a team, but I suppose it depends on what you're using to make it. Some games (mostly indie games) have only one person teams that spend a lot of time of them, though it depends on the kind of game it is.

Flappy Birds is an example of the kind of game that is generally made because nothing better could be produced (in terms of originality), and yes I think they were also lucky :lol:

Creating an original game can be difficult, though that's never been a problem for me personally. Finding resources is tough though.

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 3:28 am

I'd love to make video games... it's one of the few things I want to do with my life.
I have so many good and original ideas too...

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:00 am

Jaden wrote:

Nexuiz. It was originally planned to be the first MMOFPS, but I guess that was a little over-ambitious of us.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 1:16 pm

transformingcar wrote:
I'd love to make video games... it's one of the few things I want to do with my life.
I have so many good and original ideas too...

Me too, and these days it's actually pretty easy to get started, there's a lot of engines out there that are user friendly.
I think the biggest misconception about making games is; "you have to use an expensive, hard-to-use engine to make games before they're considered legitimate games", but in reality that's far from true.

To list a few that you could start with:

RPG Maker VX Ace (can be used to make more than RPG's through scripts, scripting knowledge not necessary but it provides the option, uses Ruby)

Game Maker (no scripting knowledge necessary, but an option, uses GML)

IG Maker (makes just about any kind of game, can also upload to XML/Xbox 360)

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 1:18 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Jaden wrote:

Nexuiz. It was originally planned to be the first MMOFPS, but I guess that was a little over-ambitious of us.

An MMOFPS would've been awesome. Sometimes really ambitious ideas make revolutionary results ;)

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Mar 2014, 10:36 pm

I've made a few video games, they're somewhere on the internet. My problem is that I have little-to-no interest in making graphics, but I need graphics in order to be inspired to continue development. I made a few board games when I was a little kid, out of the insides of cereal boxes.
I also like to make custom programs for project development. I've made a few image editors, experimenting with various draw tool types.
I like to make my own game engines as well, but lately I've been too stressed out to write a single line of code.
I mostly used game maker, but I made some multi-threading and framerate control experiments in C++ on linux.
I used to run a server and host my game ideas on it, but that made my room too hot in the summer, so I shut it down.

Some day, when someone saves me from my stress and gets me the treatment I deserve, I will make the most amazing video games the world has ever seen.

sanahasacat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2014, 4:38 pm

i'm actually working on a visual novel atm, though i'm pretty sure it'll be quite a while until i can even publish a demo; there's a lot of work involved, especially with drawing all the backgrounds and sprites (i don't like reusing the same images more than i have to; it looks lazy and unprofessional). its not exactly difficult in the way i found designing websites, but its certainly time consuming. oh well, all worth it to have a kickass game in the end, i guess.

(i use the novelty engine for the most part, with occasional ren'py for what novelty won't do.)

Not autistic at all, but brainweird in a lot of different ways and, besides, I like it here.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 5:54 pm

sanahasacat wrote:
i'm actually working on a visual novel atm, though i'm pretty sure it'll be quite a while until i can even publish a demo; there's a lot of work involved, especially with drawing all the backgrounds and sprites (i don't like reusing the same images more than i have to; it looks lazy and unprofessional). its not exactly difficult in the way i found designing websites, but its certainly time consuming. oh well, all worth it to have a kickass game in the end, i guess.

(i use the novelty engine for the most part, with occasional ren'py for what novelty won't do.)

I've toyed around with the visual novel (or mostly interactive novel) idea myself, and it is indeed time consuming, though I think that's with just about any game, especially made from scratch. I've looked into engines such as AGS (which isn't really much for interactive novels unless you make it a certain way), SUDS, Quest (one of my favs), as well as the two you mentioned. Quest is probably the best one because it allows the user to learn javascript, but in my experience SUDS is the most user friendly.

There's a certain feel when making interactive/visual novels that is a bit different when making other kinds of games, it allows the user to let their imagination build the overall image of the game environment. I've always found that fascinating. Although the constant reading can be tiring.