Games you love that everyone else hates.

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 3:18 pm

There are games out there that are reviewed harshly by critics and/or hated by fans but people like me find them still enjoyable.

I've stated before that I love Megaman Starforce. I only found out a few months ago that Megaman fans hated the series and claimed it ruined Megaman. I didn't have a problem with most of what fans complained about. The fact that it's Battle Network lite makes easier for me since I never got the hang of Battle Network and I only played 2 and 4.

Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed - People complain about the graphics, the voices, the dirty puns, etc. I only complain about its departure from the havok engine but is it worth driving a destructive fast food mascot through town? The answer is f*** YES!! !

Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon reviews were really negative. I never played this one because I don't own a 360 and the PS3 port is available only in the UK. I only saw this game through a Walkthrough on YouTube. It didn't look that bad nor did I find it as bad as the critics made it out to be.

Serious Sam 2 - People say this is their least favorite in the series but I thought it was nice for Croteam to experiment with something light-hearted and cartoonish for the series. I finished Serious Sam 3 and I thought it was a nice touch to make fun of how every FPS shooter HAS to be like Call of Duty or Battlefield. Why can't more FPS shooters be more like Serious Sam 2?

The Simpson's Road Rage - I read that this one was terrible yet it sold surprisingly well. I thought the Crazy Taxi gameplay was kind of fun and as long as the graphics are decent, I don't care how a game looks. At least it wasn't as bad as The Simpson's Skateboarding.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 10:34 pm

I don't know if I see graphics like others do. people all seem to be complaining about how stuff isn't 1080p or 4k. I don't see a big difference from sd to hd so meh. so games that people say suck due to graphics dont' bother me.

I loved the conflict series games, but not many did. there were some others but I don't remember their name

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 2:53 pm

Geist for Gamecube. I love the game...yes, it's awkward at times and it's way harder than it should be and not how it was initially described but still an enjoyable game. And hey, it was only the 2nd M rated game Nintendo ever made ( the first was Eternal Darkness ). I'm personally hoping to see a sequel along the lines of the original pitch released for Wii U....originally the game would allow you to possess an enemy, attack, leave the body and watch the infighting but we ended up with a linear FPS with specific individuals you could possess and had to do so in sequence to beat a level.

Saints Row 3 & 4...well reviewed, but a lot of fans just complain about them and hate them purely because they aren't Saints Row 2. I loved 2, but 3 & 4 are simply more fun to play imo....smoother controls, crazy weapons, superpowers ( though I hope Saints Row 5 goes back to normal, as much as I loved the powers ) and jumping though the window to jack a car just made the games fun. It doesn't hurt that I 100% both 3 & 4 but can't do the same for the first 2...

Resident Evil 6...yes, I'm serious. I have never been able to play Resident Evil before, due to the awkward tank controls but I beat 6 in both Chris & Leon's campaigns. I hate the setpiece moments ( that snowmobile sequence in Jake's campaign was where I quit & sent the game back to Gamefly ), but I loved the controls enough that I bought a brand new copy for only $10 a couple months ago. Can't wait to give it another go :)

Dynasty Warriors...I love those games, they're fun. Well, except Dynasty Warriors 6 that one sucked. Samurai Warriors 3 would have been better without the awkward Wii controls...my favorite is Hyrule Warriors, which is at least getting good reviews and people seem to like it unlike most DW games

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 4:07 pm

newageretrohippie wrote:
Dynasty Warriors...I love those games, they're fun. Well, except Dynasty Warriors 6 that one sucked.

Dynasty Warriors 6 was the first Dynasty Warriors game I played and I liked it, also got Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires because it also intrigued me.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2015, 4:57 pm

DRIV3R - An underrated precursor to GTA IV-V.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm

NHL.

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 7:22 am

Jurassic Park: Trespasser, has a bit of a cult following though, but it's a pretty obscure basket of good ideas. You know halo's two-weapons system and regenerating health? Half-life 2's physics? All of these ideas were implemented within trespasser (although poorly and rather rushed) way before either of those games

I still love playing the game every now and then fills me with good ole 90's nostalgia.

TheBraveSirRobin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2015, 10:46 pm

DayZ.

It's an awful game by its own standards but for some reason its brand of zombie survival just appeals to me more than any other game within the multiplayer survival "genre". Perhaps I haven't played enough of it's competition, but I can't tell your for sure that there are some very bad apples that tried to rip off DayZ and failed terribly that I really want to avoid wasting my time with, Nether being the specific one that, despite being free, my friend convinced me to spend money on it, despite the ludicrous s**t that it has that are instant turn-offs for me.

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2015, 11:49 pm

Fatal Labyrinth for DS was critically panned, but I enjoyed it anyway. It's a first person dungeon crawler where you attack monsters in real time, by stroking the touchscreen. I thought it had an intriguing plot, nice graphics and easy gameplay.

Phantasy Star III is often described as the black sheep of the Phantasy Star franchise. For me, the appeal was the generational saga, that the choices made by the player actually had an impact on the story, the fantasyish (but really sci-fi) setting, and the easy gameplay. I also have a soft spot for the android characters.

Black Sigil: Blade of the Exile was a pastiche of Snes rpgs eventually released for the DS. People complained about the graphics and for the difficult gameplay, but as my videogame diet largely consists of handheld ports of classic rpgs I was right at home. The characterisation and plot were excellent. Plus, there was a glitch which granted you unlimited money and stats two-thirds of the way in.

I think that if you like something, and learn that everyone else hates it, you're going to like it a lot more. There's a certain pride in having a more discerning taste than the masses, or at least that's what you tell yourself. I call it the Prince of Persia Effect, after the financially unsuccessful film which I personally thought was good fun. The negative hype also makes any good points of the work surprising, and therefore more enjoyable. That's probably why I got so emotionally invested in the Three Stooge movie.

Muzical
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jan 2015, 6:00 pm

Dragon Age 2. It has the best soundtrack, IMHO, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. HATED the newest game, so at this point, DA2 is the high point of the franchise for me :(

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 7:45 pm

newageretrohippie wrote:
Geist for Gamecube. I love the game...yes, it's awkward at times and it's way harder than it should be and not how it was initially described but still an enjoyable game. And hey, it was only the 2nd M rated game Nintendo ever made ( the first was Eternal Darkness ). I'm personally hoping to see a sequel along the lines of the original pitch released for Wii U....originally the game would allow you to possess an enemy, attack, leave the body and watch the infighting but we ended up with a linear FPS with specific individuals you could possess and had to do so in sequence to beat a level.

Actually Nintendo didn't develop either of these games.
Silicon Knights did Eternal Darkness and N-Space did Geist.

Nintendo did fund them, publish them, and have a small hand in development.

Nintendo did publish many violent games on NES and SNES before the ESRB rating system (1994).

I bought Eternal Darkness, it was fun, though to get the full ending you had to beat the game on all three colors paths.
Geist was fun, especially in multiplayer mode, though it was panned in reviews.

To date Geist is the lowest selling game ever publish by Nintendo (<50k worldwide).
Eternal Darkness sold less than 260k worldwide.

Sadly Dennis Dyack refused to work with Nintendo again, because he hated their strict management style.
Silicon Knights has folded since then.

TL;DR: Nintendo has never developed an M-rated game to date.

---

I love Sonic Lost World (Wii U), I found it to be a decent Sonic platformer.
The Nights level and the Yoshi and Zelda DLC levels were quite a nice add-on

I also love 007 Legends (Wii U). Despite being an odd ball 007 game, it had decent controls and levels.
Though everyone hated it as a bad Call of Duty.
Sadly it bankrupted Eurocom.

I loved Pokemon Colloseum (GC). People hated the snagging concept and the slowness of the battle system.
Orre was great for money, items and EXP. Since you could upload your Pokemon from R/S/E and train them there as well.

Battalion wars (GC) is decent game with janky controls. Though I found it to be a decent RTS and spin off from Advance Wars.

Flingsmash (Wii) was a great new IP from Nintendo's second party Artoon. You played as a Super ball hero, you fling with the Wii remote to complete each stage. You had to break blocks, defeat baddies and bosses by flinging.

Other notable games:
Hyrule Warriors
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros Wii U

These are all hated by NeoGaf, who are the up most authority on all things gaming.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 8:00 pm

I still enjoy the old tabletop RPGs, such as AD&D, Traveller, and Rifts - games played with dice and miniature figures, with the character attributes listed on paper, and the rules written down in books.

Or rather, I would enjoy these games if I could still find other players who still enjoy them too, and who live within a dozen miles or so of my home.

Occasionally, I can get a group together for two or three sessions (at one session per month), but the group usually dissolves due to job and family priorities.

Somehow, playing on-line with a Skype connection and players in different states just isn't the same.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

I don't understand why so many people disliked Never Alone on the XBox One. It was overly simplistic in terms of gameplay, but the atmosphere and the soundtrace were perfect.

stonejcartman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

I absolutely loved shadow the hedgehog for the Gamecube. The game was panned from critics for begin a unconventionaL with the guns, vehicles(that is quite stupid) and swearing and the sloppy gameplay. However it was different which is why I adored it.

Also starfox adventure is my favourite game in the series by far. Look at those graphics. They are so pretty!

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 12:10 am

xenocity wrote:
newageretrohippie wrote:

Nintendo did publish many violent games on NES and SNES before the ESRB rating system (1994).

I bought Eternal Darkness, it was fun, though to get the full ending you had to beat the game on all three colors paths.

To date Geist is the lowest selling game ever publish by Nintendo (<50k worldwide).

Sadly Dennis Dyack refused to work with Nintendo again, because he hated their strict management style.

I knew all that already, I merely phrased it wrong. All I meant was that Geist and Eternal Darkness were the first 2 Nintendo owned M rated games, with the Fatal Frame/Project Zero franchise adding another 4 ( 4, 5, the Wii-make of 2 and Spirit Camera...5 better get a US release ). As for Dennis Dyack, it's funny how he hated Nintendo's management style yet his own style is largely responsible for Silicon Knights going under ( which kind of sucks as I wanted the Too Human sequels ). I still hope we see Eternal Darkness 2 someday...and no, while Shadow of the Eternals would have been awesome a spiritual successor is not a sequel.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:14 am

newageretrohippie wrote:
xenocity wrote:
newageretrohippie wrote:

I knew all that already, I merely phrased it wrong. All I meant was that Geist and Eternal Darkness were the first 2 Nintendo owned M rated games, with the Fatal Frame/Project Zero franchise adding another 4 ( 4, 5, the Wii-make of 2 and Spirit Camera...5 better get a US release ). As for Dennis Dyack, it's funny how he hated Nintendo's management style yet his own style is largely responsible for Silicon Knights going under ( which kind of sucks as I wanted the Too Human sequels ). I still hope we see Eternal Darkness 2 someday...and no, while Shadow of the Eternals would have been awesome a spiritual successor is not a sequel.

Actually that's not true either.

Dyack claims he/SK/whatever owns Eternal Darkness and not Nintendo.
Geist is supposedly owned by Nintendo.

Nintendo has ownership in plenty of violent games from the 80s and early 90s before the ESRB rating came into force in 1994.
Many of these games could receive an M-rating if re-released today.

If you were lucky, you may have owned one of the early M-rated copies of Goldeneye on N64 (This would technically be the first).
I'll never forget my aunt flipping out about my copy of Goldeneye having an M rating on it and she banned it from their house in early 98.

Goldeneye N64 has never been ported due to legalities regarding the copy rights.

It was also the first Nintendo published and co-funded game to be banned in Germany as well.