Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ConfusedDude
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2015, 4:21 pm

For all those who are curious about the title, Playtonic Games is a British indie game studio composed of ex-Rare employees. Yes, former Rare employees. These guys used to make big 3D platforming games back in the Nintendo 64 glory days, like the Banjo Kazooie series, Conker's Bad Fur Day, the Donkey Kong SNES and Game Boy series, and Donkey Kong 64.

And do you wanna know what these guys are making right now in 2015? Considering that they're indie, and they can finally do whatever they want, they're making a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie dubbed "Project Ukulele".

If you don't believe me, here's the news article from the game site, Gamnesia.

According to what they said, they plan on releasing the game for computers first, to see how sucessful it becomes, and then they will later on release it for the Nintendo Wii U.

They said that they plan to unveil their project at this event called EGX Rezzed, in March 14th, at 4:00 pm, London Time.

The best part about all this is that, the legendary music and sound masters from the old Rare, Grant Kirkhope and David Wise, are working with their old pals again, on this really important game project.

Here's a poster of "Project Ukulele," their upcoming game:

And finally here's their official site: Playtonic Games

I was thinking that it was about time, people would bring back the dormant genre known as 3D platformer.

So what do you guys think?

ConfusedDude
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2015, 3:43 pm

Here's is their forum site from Playtonic Games. Here you can actually post your ideas about Playtonic Games' first and upcoming 3D platformer game titled, "Project Ukulele."

If anybody's interested.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 7:03 pm

Never got around to the Banjo Kazooie games, but I really liked DK64. Should be interesting to see the genre revived in the world of higher resolutions.

ConfusedDude
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2015, 8:59 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Never got around to the Banjo Kazooie games, but I really liked DK64. Should be interesting to see the genre revived in the world of higher resolutions.

Exactly. Because appareantly, the video game market is highly saturated in fps/3ps shooters, and rpg-related video games (that also includes mmo's and moba's), that you don't normally see any 3D "collect-a-thon" platformers nowadays.

Companies, especially Naughty Dog (initially famous for the Crash Bandicoot series), said that they don't want to do it because the generation that used to play games from this forgotten genre, seemed to have grown and moved on to shooters. Luckily, Nintendo is the only one that doesn't think that.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 9:07 pm

ConfusedDude wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

Exactly. Because appareantly, the video game market is highly saturated in fps/3ps shooters, and rpg-related video games (that also includes mmo's and moba's), that you don't normally see any 3D "collect-a-thon" platformers nowadays.

Companies, especially Naughty Dog (initially famous for the Crash Bandicoot series), said that they don't want to do it because the generation that used to play games from this forgotten genre, seemed to have grown and moved on to shooters. Luckily, Nintendo is the only one that doesn't think that.

*grown up*, bah. I just blame it on the neverending, bloody stupid gun-obsession that WAY too many people have now. Just... ugh. I hate it, so much.

Far as I'm concerned, Naughty Dog died many years ago; the idea of them currently still making games is but a myth and/or hallucination, take your pick. I refuse to acknowledge their continued existence.

ConfusedDude
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2015, 9:16 pm

Misery wrote:
ConfusedDude wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

*grown up*, bah. I just blame it on the neverending, bloody stupid gun-obsession that WAY too many people have now. Just... ugh. I hate it, so much.

Far as I'm concerned, Naughty Dog died many years ago; the idea of them currently still making games is but a myth and/or hallucination, take your pick. I refuse to acknowledge their continued existence.

Sorta like the common argument in whenever a young person likes Pokemon, and then another young person tells that said person that Pokemon is for little kids, when clearly Pokemon is directed for all ages.

Am I right?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 9:49 pm

ConfusedDude wrote:
Sorta like the common argument in whenever a young person likes Pokemon, and then another young person tells that said person that Pokemon is for little kids, when clearly Pokemon is directed for all ages.

Am I right?

People still say that about that series? Even with the game's community being what it is?

....fascinating.

Though yes, the whole divide between "kiddy" and "mature" with game design does get a TAD old.