Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 3:00 am

I just bought this game, and it is a very good game (but frustrating in places!). It's a puzzler where you have to highlight squares on a grid via a process of elimination. It is a logic puzzle - but I need some improvement.

It also have 5-player online, which I have tried and is challenging (although I only tried 2-player).

What do you think of this game, and can we exchange friend codes? I thought that since this is an Aspergers forum that people could play logical games like this.

My friend code for Picross DS is: 008 691 329 831

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 1:28 pm

I love picross. I've been playing the old Gameboy version before I go to sleep for about a month now.

The game doesn't come out untill july here, so I'll have to wait to pick it up. But I'll try to buy it first thing.

When I get it I would like to exchange friend codes and play against people.

Is the online multiplayer fun?

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 2:34 pm

The online play is certainly a good challenge, and it is enjoyable. I'm not sure how you can get up to 5 players on Wi-Fi though. One other cool thing is - you can make your own puzzles and exchange them online! I did one of a Wii!

I'd certainly recommend it. It got 87% in Official Nintendo Magazine (UK).

Do you have any tips on how to play it? Because I do make a few errors which gives me penalties and sometimes I end up guessing.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 4:15 pm

There is basically 3 or so logic steps I go off of.

First, I scan for any large numbers. In a grid of 15x15, any number of 8 or greater is going to have some in the middle. Lets say you have a row of 9, you can compare the most extreme left blocks with the most extreme right blocks and see that the middle 3 blocks are filled.

Then I start looking at the edges, if there is a block 3 spaces in that is filled and the number on the edge is a 2 I know that the fatherst block can't be filled so I check it. Much of the game is figureing out where can't be a block, as much as figuering out where all the blocks go.

Also with blocks towards the edge, lets say a block is 3 spaces in and the number on that edge is a 5... you then can tell with the most extreme positioning that the 2 more spaces out will have to be filled.

This wikipedia article explains what I am trying to say better... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picross

It's really cool that you can make your own puzzles, that ups the replay dramatically.

I can't wait for this game, but I have to wait... it was released in Europe before the US. Now I know how the Europeans feel having to wait so long for all of these great games...