Christians Fight Back in the War Against Christmas

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 3:25 am

Christmas doesn't have anything to do with Christianity. According to the history books I read, it started 4,000 years ago as a celebration of the winter solstice. The Romans called it Saturnalia. It was a very popular holiday that everyone celebrated. People partied, got drunk, had sex, and worshipped the Sun. From what I understand, the Catholic Church condemned the holiday as immoral. They wanted to increase membership but people didn't want to give up celebrating the holiday so they basically created an identical holiday with a different name called Christmas (which means mass of Christ, a Catholic mass to celebrate Christ's birth). They prohibited the most sinful parts (drunkenness and adultery) and gave new meanings to the pagan customs. People debated then whether the Church did the right thing. Eventually everyone joined the Church and Christmas replaced the winter solstice celebration. When the Puritans came to America, they actually made it illegal to celebrate Christmas because they said it is an immoral holiday. After the Civil War, Sears and other companies commercialized Christmas and make it more civilized and acceptable as a family holiday. I don't think it became a national holiday until the 1900s.

It's funny for me to hear Christians fighting to put Christ back into Christmas because before it was commercialized it was more like a large party that most Christians condemned as immoral.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 3:39 am

I hope my post above doesn't offend anybody. Someone told me of the origins and I had to research the history to see if he was right and I think it's interesting where it came from.

If your whole family celebrates Christmas and you don't, then you feel left out. I think the Church wanted to allow people to continue celebrating so they would have one less obstacle to joining the church. They could celebrate most of the holiday so they wouldn't feel left out. They'd just have different meanings behind what they were doing. I'm not saying it's immoral. I'm not God so I really don't know.

For the person who asked about Xmas, I think X is the first letter in Christ's name when it's spelled in Greek. I don't know why people shorten it or when the Xmas abbreviation started.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 9:55 am

Merry Yuletide everyone, and a Happy Hogmanay (even though I'm not Scots, but I go along with the Celtic part of it).

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2007, 11:11 am

Did no one else even notice the most amazing part of the OP's story? A solitary Muslim saved 4 Jews from a horde of violent Christians. I for one believe most religions beget intolerance, and so while the first part of the story is sad but typical of religion, the second part is hopeful. But then again, I bet none of the people involved had an epiphany as to how divisive and intolerant religion is, and they all still believe their faith is "right" and the others are all doomed to some sort of hell for believing something slightly different.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 11:18 am

zendell wrote:
Christmas doesn't have anything to do with Christianity. According to the history books I read, it started 4,000 years ago as a celebration of the winter solstice. The Romans called it Saturnalia. It was a very popular holiday that everyone celebrated. People partied, got drunk, had sex, and worshipped the Sun. From what I understand, the Catholic Church condemned the holiday as immoral. They wanted to increase membership but people didn't want to give up celebrating the holiday so they basically created an identical holiday with a different name called Christmas (which means mass of Christ, a Catholic mass to celebrate Christ's birth). They prohibited the most sinful parts (drunkenness and adultery) and gave new meanings to the pagan customs. People debated then whether the Church did the right thing. Eventually everyone joined the Church and Christmas replaced the winter solstice celebration. When the Puritans came to America, they actually made it illegal to celebrate Christmas because they said it is an immoral holiday. After the Civil War, Sears and other companies commercialized Christmas and make it more civilized and acceptable as a family holiday. I don't think it became a national holiday until the 1900s.

It's funny for me to hear Christians fighting to put Christ back into Christmas because before it was commercialized it was more like a large party that most Christians condemned as immoral.

Which further supports that religion is a control tool created by the wealthy elites who run this matrix through big business and banking schemes.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 11:03 pm

To the point:

If you are offended by someone saying "Happy holidays," you are an idiot.

If you are offended by someone saying "Happy Hanukkah," you are a bigoted idiot.

If you are offended by someone saying "Merry Christmas," you are also an idiot.

If you are willing to start an enormous fight with words or fists over a simple seasonal greeting, you are an humongous, apocalyptically stupid idiot who presumably has no life.

OMG, there are more important things in life! :thumbdown:

jfrmeister
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2007, 11:29 pm

xyzyxx wrote:
jfrmeister wrote:
pandabear wrote:
That's true. Let's return to the TRUE origin of Christmas, which is the Saturnalia.

QFT
Please don't use the abbreviation "QFT" without proper context. Did you mean "Quoted For Truth" or "Quit Frickin Talking" ?

Read my posts and tell me what you think.

BTW, what is someone from Iowa, using a nick, that is a road in California?

Prince_of_Dorkness
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2007, 1:43 am

zendell wrote:
Christmas doesn't have anything to do with Christianity. According to the history books I read, it started 4,000 years ago as a celebration of the winter solstice...

Hear, hear! Oliver Cromwell tried to ban celebration of Christmas in England in 1646 and 1647 for the same reasons that the Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate Christmas now: its roots aren't Christian. (Anti-Catholicism was also a factor as well, though, in the case of the Puritan Cromwell and Parliament.) Its prohibition sparked riots which strongly encouraged a bit more tolerance on Parliament's part.

I'm thinking that the desire to revive Yuletide's pagan roots has something to do with the new interest in the Krampus outside of Germany and eastern Europe. Ho ho ho indeed!

Anubis wrote:
Intolerant morons. Whatever happened to the christmas spirit?

It's in the liquor cabinet next to the Jim Beam! 3;^)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 1:52 am

monty wrote:
Quote:

New York police have arrested 10 people following a vicious subway attack that began with a Christmas greeting.

Witnesses say the group of young men and women wished everyone on board a "Merry Christmas".

When four Jewish subway riders responded by adding their own "Happy Hanukkah" they were pelted with anti-Semitic remarks before being beaten, police and prosecutors said.

Another passenger, a young Muslim man from Bangladesh, then jumped in and helped pull the four victims away.

http://www.wrex.com/News/index.php?ID=24603

I guess the Christian right-wing extremist noise from FOX and friends is starting to bear fruit. People should be on notice that when someone wishes you a Merry Christmas, you should reply the same way.

One things for certain, I sure as hell wouldn't blame FOX, FOX and friends, or anything republican affiliated with that - that's not their message, its sure as hell not what they're about, its douchebags being douchebags - much like people blowing up buildings or trying to exterminate certain races or religions is douchebags being douchebags. Hating on FOX though is the easy card, the cool thing to do, and it comes from people who really just can't handle conservative TV or radio so they find some need to emotionally link it and just cross their fingers to hope that other people buy into it because they say it all breezily in one sentence. That sort of hate is religious in its own sense because its not only based on a misconception, its a deliberately held and kept one that some people seem to need in order to keep their own internal realities congruent.

Yeah, what happened is f'd up, but if we want people to sit there and hate on Christians or conservatives and spout leftist Koolaid - we should just bring manalitwist or whatever his name is back in here.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 4:13 am

Isn't it funny how Fox, amidst all it's networks and publishing, the news is the only conservative facet of it's medium..? It's seems to be pandering to the public with guile.

If you ask me...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 5:20 am

True enough, you have talk radio all across the board as well as a few one hour conservative talk show hosts now on other networks after the market was forced opened and they felt they needed to stay relevant (Glenn Beck on MSNBC for example). On the other hand have you ever heard of the 'fairness' doctrine? Its creepy the extent some people are trying to go to in order to squash that for their own special version of free speech.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 3:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
One things for certain, I sure as hell wouldn't blame FOX, FOX and friends, or anything republican affiliated with that - that's not their message, its sure as hell not what they're about, its douchebags being douchebags - much like people blowing up buildings or trying to exterminate certain races or religions is douchebags being douchebags. Hating on FOX though is the easy card, the cool thing to do, and it comes from people who really just can't handle conservative TV or radio so they find some need to emotionally link it and just cross their fingers to hope that other people buy into it because they say it all breezily in one sentence. That sort of hate is religious in its own sense because its not only based on a misconception, its a deliberately held and kept one that some people seem to need in order to keep their own internal realities congruent.

Yeah, what happened is f'd up, but if we want people to sit there and hate on Christians or conservatives and spout leftist Koolaid - we should just bring manalitwist or whatever his name is back in here.

The whole "war on Christmas" myth is an attempt to make Christians feel persecuted - not to make Christians feel more tolerant or Christ-like. Fox (O'Reilly in particular) have played a key role in amplifying the idea that if department stores try to become inclusive by calling it the holidays (ie, both Christian and Jewish), that is in fact an Attack on Christianity. According to their Christian Identity Movement philosophy, people who wish others "happy holidays" are trying to bring down Christmas, and deserve scorn and hatred.

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 3:38 pm

monty wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

The whole "war on Christmas" myth is an attempt to make Christians feel persecuted - not to make Christians feel more tolerant or Christ-like. Fox (O'Reilly in particular) have played a key role in amplifying the idea that if department stores try to become inclusive by calling it the holidays (ie, both Christian and Jewish), that is in fact an Attack on Christianity. According to their Christian Identity Movement philosophy, people who wish each other "happy holidays" are trying to bring down Christmas, and deserve scorn and hatred.

forgive me if I'm rong but aren't the christians the one that have in their bible that Jesus Christ will only return if everybody in the world believes. Which seems to mean that its perfectly ok to force your beliefs on others because they are in fact holding you back from the ultimate divine moment ? I see alot of things in christianity that use things like that to advance that agenda.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 4:14 pm

Abangyarudo wrote:
forgive me if I'm rong but aren't the christians the one that have in their bible that Jesus Christ will only return if everybody in the world believes. Which seems to mean that its perfectly ok to force your beliefs on others because they are in fact holding you back from the ultimate divine moment ? I see alot of things in christianity that use things like that to advance that agenda.

U R rong, methinks.

Some Christians believe that Israel has to be destroyed before Christ can return.

Last edited by monty on 16 Dec 2007, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 4:19 pm

monty wrote:
Abangyarudo wrote:
The whole "war on Christmas" myth is an attempt to make Christians feel persecuted - not to make Christians feel more tolerant or Christ-like. Fox (O'Reilly in particular) have played a key role in amplifying the idea that if department stores try to become inclusive by calling it the holidays (ie, both Christian and Jewish), that is in fact an Attack on Christianity. According to their Christian Identity Movement philosophy, people who wish each other "happy holidays" are trying to bring down Christmas, and deserve scorn and hatred.

U R rong, methinks.

Some Christians believe that Israel has to be destroyed before Christ can return.[/quote]

I thought it was a popular religion in which the main text said something to that effect. Maybe I'm wrong cause I'm not a big religious buff. My Apologies for my wrong assumption or bad memory whichever it is then.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 6:58 pm

Abangyarudo wrote:
I thought it was a popular religion in which the main text said something to that effect. Maybe I'm wrong cause I'm not a big religious buff. My Apologies for my wrong assumption or bad memory whichever it is then.

Some might interpret the Book of Revelations that way - it is kind of like a big Roscharch test or cloud - pretty much anything can be read from it.

One common interpretation (millenialism) is that Christ will rule the Earth for 1000 years before the final battle with Satan (or maybe before the final judgement of all souls, opinions differ).

Another common interpretation of the Book of Revelations is that the Anti-Christ will take over, and the only real Christians will fly up to heaven in the rapture. Then a final world war will break out, and Jesus will step in to straighten things out and dispense justice.

Here's a nice Christian end-times video game in case anyone is looking for that last minute gift:

Quote:
Imagine: you are a foot soldier in a paramilitary group whose purpose is to remake America as a Christian theocracy, and establish its worldly vision of the dominion of Christ over all aspects of life. You are issued high-tech military weaponry, and instructed to engage the infidel on the streets of New York City. You are on a mission - both a religious mission and a military mission -- to convert or kill Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, gays, and anyone who advocates the separation of church and state - especially moderate, mainstream Christians. Your mission is "to conduct physical and spiritual warfare"; all who resist must be taken out with extreme prejudice. You have never felt so powerful, so driven by a purpose: you are 13 years old. You are playing a real-time strategy video game whose creators are linked to the empire of mega-church pastor Rick Warren, best selling author of The Purpose Driven Life.

http://www.talk2action.org/story/2006/5/29/195855/959

Last edited by monty on 16 Dec 2007, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.