Page 5 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 9:16 am

Sand wrote:
You're right on the first part but Hitlers Germany did not improve economic possibilities in the world but manufactured goods that were made to be destroyed and to destroy other economies. The Tennessee Valley project is a better comparison.

In any case, using the fiscal stimulus quick enough to be effective and still using it for a grand project would be difficult. Not only that, but as I stated, not all people agree on what the useful projects would be, and what the fools errands would be.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 9:25 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Sand wrote:
You're right on the first part but Hitlers Germany did not improve economic possibilities in the world but manufactured goods that were made to be destroyed and to destroy other economies. The Tennessee Valley project is a better comparison.

In any case, using the fiscal stimulus quick enough to be effective and still using it for a grand project would be difficult. Not only that, but as I stated, not all people agree on what the useful projects would be, and what the fools errands would be.

The political end is a matter of leadership. Although Kennedy's project to put a man on the Moon was disguised as an effort for all mankind the obvious intentional armature of the project was to perfect rocketry for military purposes. Nevertheless the idealistic end proved far more useful in the matter of satellite structures and economic bounty for communications and many other technical ends. Civilization is in dire need of total planetary control as standard food supplies and procedures for fisheries and agriculture are rapidly proving inadequate. It may be seen initially as an economic black hole but it is probably a basic requirement for the survival of life on Earth in the long run. It's not as crazy as it might first appear.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 9:34 am

Sand wrote:
The political end is a matter of leadership. Although Kennedy's project to put a man on the Moon was disguised as an effort for all mankind the obvious intentional armature of the project was to perfect rocketry for military purposes. Nevertheless the idealistic end proved far more useful in the matter of satellite structures and economic bounty for communications and many other technical ends. Civilization is in dire need of total planetary control as standard food supplies and procedures for fisheries and agriculture are rapidly proving inadequate. It may be seen initially as an economic black hole but it is probably a basic requirement for the survival of life on Earth in the long run. It's not as crazy as it might first appear.

No, the political end is a matter of utility. Our project to put a man on the moon was significantly also our desire to show that we were better than the hated soviets, who had already started moving into space. It seems a sure mistake to think that the political process is a wonderful thing, and will lead to better leadership than our other processes.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 10:24 am

There is no doubt the element of national pride was a factor in Kennedy's Moon promise but the Russians scared hell out of the US military with Sputnik and the Russian dog Laika that was shot into space. Everybody was disheartened when it was learned the dog could not be brought back alive and I remember an ad in the NY Times showing a dog in a parachute with people welcoming it back to Earth. The first US attempt with Vanguard rocket fizzled on the ground and a Redstone rocket, an adaptation of the German V2 was sent up to re-establish US capability. But the impetus behind all this first rocketry was the development of an effective ICBM and the Moon thing was part of that.

There are many useful emerging technologies that could employ the economy and keep the US as a prime technological nation. The first inhabitants from Earth on the planets will no doubt be robots and Japan seems to be pushing way ahead here. A robot work force will have a major effect on the basic way the economy functions since worker remuneration will become divorced from consumer capability and major adjustments will have to be made. These things cannot be put off too long.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 7:03 pm

Worst US Presidents

1.} George W. Bush

2.} James Buchanan

3.} Richard Nixon

4.} Harry Truman

5.} Franklin Pierce

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 7:42 pm

falcorn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2009, 2:41 pm

kennedy he sucked really bad

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 3:44 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Worst US Presidents

1.} George W. Bush

2.} James Buchanan

3.} Richard Nixon

4.} Harry Truman

5.} Franklin Pierce

I would say

1) Ronald Reagan
2) Richard Nixon
3) Lyndon B Johnson
4) Herbert Hoover
5) Tie between W and Jimmy Carter (although the latter I'm only considering time spent in office not after he got out...)

MissConstrue wrote:

Comparisons to Hitler are dumb... compare him to Mussolini for the proper desired effect... (i.e. totalitarian control, suppression of free speech/press, etc.)

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 4:55 pm

Bush Sr, Bush Jr, Carter, Taft, and Nixon.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 5:59 pm

falcorn wrote:
kennedy he sucked really bad

Actually spite the Bay of Pigs mess up. He stood his ground against the Soviets and the Cuban Missile Crisis prove spite being inexperienced he was good at diplomacy. Plus he got the US to get in gear for the space race.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 12:14 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
I don't know about THE worst, but G.W Bush would rank pretty high.

People said that about Ronald Reagan too, seriously, G.W. Bush did pretty well for the hand he was dealt.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:33 pm

Woodrow Wilson. Most would at first react very intensely against this, but it was Wilson who:

1. began the state interference in the citizens' lives in the USA for real and

2. laid the foundation for a new World War by first interfering in European affairs and then not taking his responsibility for what happened in Europe. He let the frog eaters dictate the peace treaty of Versailles and he let the new nations in Europe start anew with new unjustice against minorities.

'Tis munny in my purse.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 10:44 pm

I wonder why eating frogs is supposed to be disreputable. Frog's legs is quite a popular dish in parts of the USA.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 7:09 am

I mean the French of course. 8)

'Tis munny in my purse.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 10:17 pm

Orwell wrote:
I see AG beat me to the FDR-bashing. That's what we get for putting a cripple in power.

Hey Orwell, Guess who is on the list by historians as one of the three greatest presidents. Yes, That cripple Roosevelt saved our butts big time. Notice that the economy got to its lowest point in March 1933. Then after Roosevelt got into office the economy started to slowly improve up into WWII.

FDR was a brilliant politician. Packing the Supreme Court was a grand idea because it put in a bunch of fresh, new members who where more educated. Knew what Civil Rights where and that every man is equal. Members that didn't have the Pro-Business agenda the former court had.

The Supreme Court of the 20's and early 30's was also quite prejudice. Often executing innocent minorties with no prove & a very fine hint of corruption.

FDR along with another 2 great presidents, Harry Truman & Dwight Eisenhower. [ Both Moderately-Liberal in modern since & Keynesian supporters.] Drafted what was the Civil-Rights movement. Something most Classic Liberals didn't push for in the 1900's. Resulting in the Escalation of the K.K.K in the 1920's

Having the right to form Labor Unions as a part of the Constitution was also another great idea. Yes, being able to get a fair wage for a hard days work and great benefits are the many great benefits of a Labor Union. Something the Harding & Coolidge Administrations called stupid. Yes, way to let CEO's stomp on average joes. [Yellow-Dog Contract anyone.]

Oh FDIC, Social Security, More land for National Park System, TVA & so many other programs are a benefit from FDR. Roosevelt restored confidence in a nation tattered by a recant World War. Global Economic Depression & a corrupt government. Gave hope to all ethnic minorities and hope for a brighter future.

Roosevelt had confidence, was an excellent public speaker as seen with his weekly radio Fireside Chats. Cared for America as a whole & gave hope back to the country. It takes a man to break away from a Polio outbreak that literally paralyzes you. If FDR isn't a Great Politician as well as a Great Man & True American I don't know what to say.

You can kiss my butt for saying that Roosevelt being paralyzed makes him a horrible politican.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 10:30 pm

gamefreak wrote:
Hey Orwell, Guess who is on the list by historians as one of the three greatest presidents.

Thank god for historians. I mean, it's not like we have people who engage in some kind of empirical study of how economies run to help us understand what impacts a person's policies actually had on the economy.

PS: Am I the only one who doesn't regard history in and of itself as a particularly, IDK, decent scholarly pursuit? Or is there just something about how it operates that I'm missing and there's secretly some pretense of rigour?