Page 2 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Would you obey an evil god?
Yes, corrupt the innocent, sacrifice the children and so on for hell is too terrible 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
No, for evil has to be resisted even if it leads to my damnation 33%  33%  [ 21 ]
I wouldn't care about god even if god were evil 41%  41%  [ 26 ]
Let me see the results 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 64

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 3:38 pm

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Good and Evil are more matters of alignment to God's way of doing things than they are matters of the concepts of "right" or "wrong." Right is what God says it is.

I think that's possibly the most dangerous idea in the history of religion. You could justify absolutely any atrocity that way. And in fact, that's how the idea has usually been used.

'Because I say so' isn't a good reason for any act even on the human level.

We're talking God here. God is (for the sake of debate), all powerful, all knowing, and all seeing. There is nothing above or besides God. God is sovereign over ALL.

What you or I think is "right" or "wrong" is irrelevant. God is the authority. What God says is "right" not because of its own value but because the all-powerful creator of everything says so. No debate. Have a nice day.

If God was to suddenly say "evil" was now "good," it would be a moot point because now "evil" is "good."

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 4:58 pm

thats what always confused me about worship. People would be weeping and singing about how good God is, but, (if real) he's the only one we've got.. Weve got no other gods to compare him too...if there was a load of other planets with other gods which were really messed up and violent, and our word was really good, I could understand..

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

25 Aug 2009, 10:07 am

Tom wrote:
Weve got no other gods to compare him too...if there was a load of other planets with other gods which were really messed up and violent, and our word was really good, I could understand..

Yes, but would we necessarily have a comparison?

Historically, on this planet, the big organized religions have hated the idea of anyone having a choice. So they've tended to try and destroy other religions and their followers where possible. If that can't be done, they've done their best to spread disinformation about those other religions and isolate their own followers so they don't trust anything beyond their own little circle.

Note that the First Commandment does not say 'I'm the only God'; it says 'You shall not worship any other gods except me'. It's actually acknowledging that other gods were out there. We get this picture of good, moral, upright Hebrews with their One God, and vile, depraved Canaanites and other tribes with their many 'idols', but we've only heard one side of the story, and recent archeology suggests that it wasn't that clear-cut at all.

It's possible that the situation could be the opposite of what you suggest. Our world being messed up because of having an evil God, and there being lots of planets out there with good Gods, whose intelligent beings were having a way better time than we were. If that were the case, we can speculate that our evil God would do everything possible to stop us having contact with those worlds, and he'd make himself out to be 'good' and the other Gods to be 'evil'.

Then again, maybe all the little Gods would do that to their followers to keep them in line, so there'd be no way of telling if any of them were better than any of the others. And none of them would be the Supreme Being, so it's a different issue. (Where's C. S. Lewis when you need him?)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 10:18 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Often times in theological discourse, it is assumed that god is good. However, what would we think if it turned out that god existed, but wasn't good?

Are you proposing that we investigate the Cthulu mythos in more detail?

Edit: Actually, a comic I'm reading has a main plot point that involves something similar to the Cthulu myth. Look up Doktor Sleepless.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 10:30 am

C'Thun > C'thulu :P (C'Thun is an Old God inspired by C'thulu and Lovecraftian stories in world of Warcraft, and so are the Forgotten Ones).

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 11:01 am

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
C’thulu is coming to town
He's making a list,
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice
He see you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!
O! you better watch out!
You better not cry.
You better not pout, I'm telling you why
With big sharp horns
And automatic guns
Rooty toot toot and rummy tum tum
The kids and girls and boys land
Will have a jubilee
He's goona build quick sand
All arould the christmas tree
So you better not pout
Better not shout
Better not cry
Better not sigh
Tellin' you why
C’thulu is coming
Better not pout
Better not shout
Better not cry
Better not sigh
Tellin' you why
C’thulu is coming
I mean the great beast to keep you scared

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 11:11 am

God is evil because alpha men made him up to put people in their so-called places.

So when I hear the word god, I automatically think of men not a divinity.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 3:24 am

Maybe God is like us, flawed, neither good or evil. Or maybe evil is just the people and bits of the world without God.

EC
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2009, 4:19 am

Tom wrote:
Maybe God is like us, flawed, neither good or evil. Or maybe evil is just the people and bits of the world without God.

If God is like the rest of us, he is by modern standards an egomaniacle, megalomaniacle mass-murdering psychopath. We put those people away in prison for life, and some people execute them. As for good and evil, we know truly religious people destroy the meaning of "good". Ahmadinejad wants his country to be "good", a beacon of light, all while his country hangs gay people from cranes and has militias and agents to enforce dark-age customs and Islamic values on Iran's citizens. That's just one example. Also, religion's ultimate desire is the destruction of the knowledge of mankind, I'd call that evil.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 4:43 am

zer0netgain wrote:
ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Good and Evil are more matters of alignment to God's way of doing things than they are matters of the concepts of "right" or "wrong." Right is what God says it is.

I think that's possibly the most dangerous idea in the history of religion. You could justify absolutely any atrocity that way. And in fact, that's how the idea has usually been used.

'Because I say so' isn't a good reason for any act even on the human level.

We're talking God here. God is (for the sake of debate), all powerful, all knowing, and all seeing. There is nothing above or besides God. God is sovereign over ALL.

What you or I think is "right" or "wrong" is irrelevant. God is the authority. What God says is "right" not because of its own value but because the all-powerful creator of everything says so. No debate. Have a nice day.

If God was to suddenly say "evil" was now "good," it would be a moot point because now "evil" is "good."

God is (for the sake of debate) a square circle.

EDIT: Anyway, my kitten is all-powerful, all-knowing and all-seeing. Only I can communicate with him, though. What he says, through my flawless interpretation, is Right.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 1:28 pm

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Note that the First Commandment does not say 'I'm the only God'; it says 'You shall not worship any other gods except me'. It's actually acknowledging that other gods were out there. We get this picture of good, moral, upright Hebrews with their One God, and vile, depraved Canaanites and other tribes with their many 'idols', but we've only heard one side of the story, and recent archeology suggests that it wasn't that clear-cut at all.

I know that Seventh Day Adventism doesn't interpret "Thou shalt not worship any other gods before me" as an acknowledgment of other anthropomorphic deities along the lines of God, but rather that your highest priority in life should be to serve God, not to anyone or anything else. I'm not saying that what you said is incorrect, but it's not the typical thought of at least one Protestant denomination, and I'd say not among most Christian denominations overall.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 1:36 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Often times in theological discourse, it is assumed that god is good. However, what would we think if it turned out that god existed, but wasn't good?

Is this possible that god wouldn't be good?

Not only that, but what if god were evil and omnipotent? Would you obey god, torment the good, corrupt the innocent, and receive his dark rewards and go to an evil heaven? Or would you resist him, and suffer the consequences of eternal torment? Why would you make the choice you would make? Would your choice matter to anyone but you?

Given that some theologies claim that goodness only refers to whatever god wills, then how is this hypothetical different than some actual theologies? For if good lacks an ontology independent of god, then couldn't what god calls good be exactly what we call evil?

Some interesting links about the idea of an evil god:
http://www.jesusandmo.net/2008/10/08/world/
http://stephenlaw.blogspot.com/2007/03/god-of-eth.html
http://lawpapers.blogspot.com/2009/06/e ... ng-in.html
http://www.fredvanlente.com/cthulhutract/
http://rubbersuitstudios.com/ptcct.htm (contains the F-word)

You forgot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulu

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

durentu
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Sep 2009, 1:52 pm

Paul Erdos, one of history's finest mathematicians has an interesting take on God, to which he calls the SF - supreme facist.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qeWugmiGt4[/youtube]

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

24 Sep 2009, 3:17 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
I know that Seventh Day Adventism doesn't interpret "Thou shalt not worship any other gods before me" as an acknowledgment of other anthropomorphic deities along the lines of God, but rather that your highest priority in life should be to serve God, not to anyone or anything else. I'm not saying that what you said is incorrect, but it's not the typical thought of at least one Protestant denomination, and I'd say not among most Christian denominations overall.

True, and I believe what you say is also much closer to the modern Jewish interpretation. But those are modern interpretations of something that was probably taken very differently in the time the words were written. I have no qualms with any religion admitting that their interpretation of their scriptures has changed over the centuries - surely ideas about God, like any other ideas, should be allowed to progress as human society progresses - but I wish they would admit to the fact.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 10:32 am

NTs made God in thair image. Is God a science oriented creater of the universe, who need doesn't need song dance or merryment to get recruits. Nore would we need the most romantic story of all, when a father sends his only son down to earth that lead to unfortunate circumstances. Like the many Christian stories that woo my heart but unfortunately do not do the same for my mind.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 10:47 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
NTs made God in thair image. Is God a science oriented creater of the universe, who need doesn't need song dance or merryment to get recruits. Nore would we need the most romantic story of all, when a father sends his only son down to earth that lead to unfortunate circumstances. Like the many Christian stories that woo my heart but unfortunately do not do the same for my mind.

I'm unsure why you excluded aspies there.