Why do people think that Republicans promote obesity?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

AutisticFollower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2010, 10:49 pm

That people like myself do not support the war on obesity?

First off, I am a republican, but I honestly do believe we need to help too.
I even am starting to think most republicans/conservatives besides me are ignorant towards obesity. I envy Europe so much. The liberals are right. I honestly do believe the fact that they have a better life than us.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 11:04 pm

id rather be a fat american than a smelly european.

oh and uhh... the war on obesity is dealt how? slim fasts? new programs in schools?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 11:06 pm

I'm not sure about promoting obesity but I think their support of farm subsidies which results in the corn overstock that results in high fructose corn syrup being so cheap doesn't help weight issues. HFCS is a complex sugar that is much harder for the body to break down and is more readily stored as fat than simple sugars.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 11:18 pm

skafather84 wrote:
I'm not sure about promoting obesity but I think their support of farm subsidies which results in the corn overstock that results in high fructose corn syrup being so cheap doesn't help weight issues. HFCS is a complex sugar that is much harder for the body to break down and is more readily stored as fat than simple sugars.

i just wish more sodas came out as "throwbacks". :shrug:

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 11:21 pm

oscuria wrote:

What are you talking about? fat americans are smelly.

Quote:
oh and uhh... the war on obesity is dealt how? slim fasts? new programs in schools?

By starving you.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 11:24 pm

The Right opposes measures to inform people of the content of food as well as to encourage food processors not to put so much salt in things and so forth. This is supposed to be an interference, an anti-liberty action. Strange thing is that the same folk on the Right suggest forcing obese people to pay the totality of their medical bills to punish them for their so-called lifestyle choices.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 11:27 pm

OT: i dont think it has much about being ignorant of obesity. im sure some of it is about being uncaring of the issue due to monetary interests. being fat isnt all that bad, however being too fat creates a problematic situation that society must handle.

greenblue wrote:
oscuria wrote:

What are you talking about? fat americans are smelly.

Quote:

By starving you.

1) i thought i inserted "smelly american".

2) :(

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 11:28 pm

RINO!! !! Someone call the Palin Patrol, we have a Class 4 RINO on the loose here!! !

j/k

Now that that's out of the way, I think you're confusing being against what's being marketed as a "war on obesity" as being somehow in favor of obesity. Now I'm no Republican, but I'm very much against this whole idea and I'll tell you why; it's a cardboard box disguising a massive expansion in government regulation. WOO is being pushed so that the government can claim to have a financial interest in what Americans are allowed to eat and thus justify regulations to control that such as sin taxes on chips and soda or control over the marketing of candy. In other words:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Sep 2010, 11:51 pm

It's not promoting obesity. It's not wanting the government telling what I can and can not eat. It's none of their damn business. I don't want them in my bedroom and I sure as hell don't want them on my dinner table either.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 12:48 am

On a certain level I can say that "fat taxes" are a good idea, like other excise taxes. On another it's just another regressive tax, which is why it's being proposed in the first place, and the Republicans whilst favouring regressive taxes in general and wanting the lower classes to pay the entire bill, can curry favour with them by rallying opposition to this but never actually succeeding - just create another sore with which to win votes, and railing against the elitists who run the Democratic Party who just don't understand the common folk.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 4:47 pm

I lay a great deal of blame on the Nixon administration and the cheap food policy that it enunciated, and that has continued to this day.

From the moment that these policies were initiated, the systematic control of the agriculture and food production industries in a relatively small number of hands was all but inevitable. The supermarket shelves are now lined with processed products that promise a quick hit of calories for a minimum of effort.

HFCS was originally conceived as a replacement for the sugar in the north american diet. Instead, it has supplemented it. We continue to consume just as much sucrose, per capita as we did before the introduction of HFCS (glucose-fructose in Canada).

I don't think that it's a case of Republicans promoting obesity, I think that obesity is a side effect of Republicans promoting cheap food.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 10:38 am

visagrunt wrote:
I lay a great deal of blame on the Nixon administration and the cheap food policy that it enunciated, and that has continued to this day.

From the moment that these policies were initiated, the systematic control of the agriculture and food production industries in a relatively small number of hands was all but inevitable. The supermarket shelves are now lined with processed products that promise a quick hit of calories for a minimum of effort.

HFCS was originally conceived as a replacement for the sugar in the north american diet. Instead, it has supplemented it. We continue to consume just as much sucrose, per capita as we did before the introduction of HFCS (glucose-fructose in Canada).
I don't think that it's a case of Republicans promoting obesity, I think that obesity is a side effect of Republicans promoting cheap food.

Bold and enlightened topic

Now I know what HFCS is known as in Canada. :eew:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 10:46 am

Why do people think that Republicans promote obesity?

Because they've never heard the Republican Party motto saying that:

You can never be too rich or too thin.

? ?? ???

number5
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 12:24 pm

Quote:

Totally agree and will add their policies for supporting big business and the privitazation of everything by the means of deregulation have led to not just fat Americans but sick ones as well.

The term "food" is used very loosely today. The crap on the shelves is so full chemical additives and and the marketing of these products is so overwhelming, smart and sly that most folks really have no idea what they're really eating. Processed foods have such little nutritional value and instead of turning towards natural and organic sources (way too expensive), companies artificially fortify everything and advertise "now with 12 vitamins" and other such absurdities. People are essentially just popping pills and stuffing their faces with twinkies all day without even knowing it.

That doesn't even scratch the surface either. Our meats, dairy, and even crops (via seeds) are run by a handful of gigantic corporations who clearly need to improve their safety, sanitation, and employee relation practices. The farmers can't afford Monsanto prices and how many recalls do we really need to understand just how eff'd our "food" supply really is?

There's no way the free market can fix this disaster.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 12:49 pm

visagrunt wrote:
side effect of Republicans promoting cheap food.

At least as far as HFCS goes, it's cheap because of government subsidies. Sucrose could be much cheaper if some of that money were given to the domestic cane growers instead.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 5:54 pm

Its not only Republicans who appear to promote obesity, it seems from the map overlays of the US, and several studies, that fundamental religion also plays a role.

http://bigthink.com/ideas/18731

[img][800:643]http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/movabletype/archives/church_bodies.gif[/img] Image

Kind of ironic really as these people bang on about deadly sins, drug use, fornication etc. and yet they are committing gluttony and not treating their body as a temple for god to reside.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx