Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I think it has a lot of great points.

You're wrong.

You're in denial.

And the parts about how religious people are selective in what they want to follow is valid. If you can't see that, I can understand why you can't appreciate this work.

this. all of this.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 5:22 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
@CaptainTrips222: The article asserts that Christians are still under the Old Covenant, when it has quite clearly been superseded. Superseding the Old Covenant was most of the point of the New Covenant, not some obscure issue. It's like saying that because we had an amendment to the U.S. constitution prohibiting alcohol, alcohol is still illegal, completely ignoring the other amendment that revoked the first. The article not understanding this means that they are unlikely to be able to make any other decent points.

again, if the old covenant is being tossed to the side, why the condemnation of homosexuality in the new testament, did god still decide he hates gays?

also, if the old testament is diregarded, why the praise for the 'ten' commandments? they are OLD LAW. move on.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 5:23 pm

simon_says wrote:
The divorce issue has nothing to do with the old testament. It's spelled out in the NT as the blog notes. The Catholics appear to be right on this one, yet southern christian states have the highest divorce rates.

The prayer in school one is also based on the words of Jesus. The longer list includes some OT but also NT passages from the apostles and Corinthians. Funny, if old, stuff.

Of course most christian mumblers will just say something like, "we are all sinners". You can't really shame them with hypocricy when they will just claim that Jesus redeems them anyway. It's magical thinking from top to bottom.

THIS! preach it.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 5:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
Christianity means whatever any individual "Christian" wants it to mean at the moment. This is called "Situational Doctrine". It means that if the "Christian" can find a Bible verse that speaks against something that he or she doesn't like, then he or she will swear that it is foundational doctrine.

But if the same Bible verse is quoted against the "Christian", then he or she will find some excuse (possibly another Bible verse) that mitigates the application of the first verse against him or her.

Or they just say something like "That's different", and with a smirk and a smile, they go on their merry way.

this, too. nothing like a christian trying to cover his or her tracks. it really is quite entertaining.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 5:26 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
@CaptainTrips222: The article asserts that Christians are still under the Old Covenant, when it has quite clearly been superseded. Superseding the Old Covenant was most of the point of the New Covenant, not some obscure issue. It's like saying that because we had an amendment to the U.S. constitution prohibiting alcohol, alcohol is still illegal, completely ignoring the other amendment that revoked the first. The article not understanding this means that they are unlikely to be able to make any other decent points.

Don't believe in the old testament anymore? Great! Drop this garden of eden bull s**t and start living in reality.

yes, let's drop this garden of eden inherent sin of man BS.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 5:33 pm

Philologos wrote:
And the neat thing about Jesus talking to sinners, is repenting and working toward sinning no more is what he asks.

that's like apologizing everytime you do something wrong, but continuing to do something wrong, knowing Jesus will save you if you say 'I promise this will hopefully be my last mistake. I'LL TRY! I SWEAR!'

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 5:35 pm

shrox wrote:
Many do not understand that the Old Testament is the old covenant, and The New Testament is the new covenant.

When someone brings up something from the Old Testament and tries to apply it to today, you might as well and try to apply 17th century English law to modern day America.

If you don't want to understand, you never will understand...

Does anyone want to understand?

again, I ask why, if the OT law is cast aside, why is paul spouting off condemnations of homosexuals? and why, then, is reverence surrounding ten commandments found in the OT? isn't that old s**t? then why is it still a sin to have a god before the granddaddy of all gods?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 5:36 pm

Dude, you can reply to multiple posts in a single post ...

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 5:37 pm

@ dopplercb

many little posts < one big post

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 5:38 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Dude, you can reply to multiple posts in a single post ...

sorry, was just replying as I read.

I'll try to remember this in the future :oops:

Last edited by dopplercb on 30 Aug 2011, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 5:39 pm

shrox wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
shrox wrote:
Many do not understand that the Old Testament is the old covenant, and The New Testament is the new covenant.

When someone brings up something from the Old Testament and tries to apply it to today, you might as well and try to apply 17th century English law to modern day America.

If you don't want to understand, you never will understand...

Does anyone want to understand?
Why is it then that the old covenant gets to be ignored whenever is most convenient for Christians? Wouldn't that be enough proof that they are freaking hypocrites?

Plus the new covenant is not so much better anyway: http://www.evilbible.com/Jesus_Lied.htm

So, why do you call me a hypocrite?

Did you miss the entire point of what I said? Once a law is superseded by a new law, the old law is no longer referred to. There is nothing convenient about it. Do you even know "what" the new covenant is? Actually do you know "who" the new covenant is?

Did I address you specifically?
No.

So, could you stop avoiding the question? First of all, it is untrue that your view represents xtians as a whole. It doesn't. There are plenty of them out there still using the old testament and it is still included in many sects' bibles. And when they do , they do cherry pick, so it is simply not true to claim that xtians are not hypocrites just because you specifically don't use the OT.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 5:54 pm

I fully understand why so many Christians follow the New Testament more closely. The Old Testament is told by a small nation of people surrounded by enemies. The New Testament is told by people at the lowest stratum of an evil empire. Which is more like our world?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 6:12 pm

dopplercb wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

You're wrong.

It says this:
Quote:
All of these rules are part of the Old Covenant and of equal import.

If you can say this with a straight face, you don't understand Christianity. I looked at bits and pieces of the rant, but after I saw that, I just stopped. There's no point taking something that far off seriously.

if it's a new covenant, with christianity, then why is the 'old' condemnation of homosexuality paraded around by that piece of trash, Paul?

Yeah, I know, right. The old testament (the law especially) is referenced through out the new testament. And this "old covenant / new covenant" line seems like just one more desperate rationalization.

I wouldn't mind this so much if Christians (especially the evangelical crowd) weren't such rampant hypocrites. And they're so rude and conniving, so many of them. I have Christian friends that kinda keep their religion to themselves, so I in turn never criticize it, and it works out, but man, then I've met the ones that bring it up every few hours, and let me tell you, those are the MAJOR jerks and hypocrites. It's like, they think as long as you believe it you're okay. You just don't have to practice it.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 6:17 pm

dopplercb wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

You're wrong.

It says this:
Quote:
All of these rules are part of the Old Covenant and of equal import.

If you can say this with a straight face, you don't understand Christianity. I looked at bits and pieces of the rant, but after I saw that, I just stopped. There's no point taking something that far off seriously.

if it's a new covenant, with christianity, then why is the 'old' condemnation of homosexuality paraded around by that piece of trash, Paul?

Yeah, I know, right. The old testament (the law especially) is referenced through out the new testament. And this "old covenant / new covenant" line seems like just one more desperate rationalization.

I wouldn't mind this so much if Christians (especially the evangelical crowd) weren't such rampant hypocrites. And they're so rude and conniving, so many of them. I have Christian friends that kinda keep their religion to themselves, so I in turn never criticize it, and it works out, but man, then I've met the ones that bring it up every few hours, and let me tell you, those are the MAJOR jerks and hypocrites. It's like, they think as long as you believe it you're okay. You just don't have to practice it.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 6:22 pm

dopplercb wrote:
again, I ask why, if the OT law is cast aside, why is paul spouting off condemnations of homosexuals? and why, then, is reverence surrounding ten commandments found in the OT?

It's my understanding that the NT verses that are often taken to condemn homosexuality are not unambiguous. They do clearly condemn homosexual shrine prostitution, but shrine prostitution would have been condemned anyway.

You also have a misconception of what 'superseded' means. It means that old laws are no longer binding. It doesn't mean that moral principles evaporate for no reason. It doesn't mean the OT doesn't have anything good in it. The ten commandments have a lot of good stuff in them. I don't think atheists will appreciate them all, but I think even most atheists will agree that 'don't murder' or 'don't steal' are reasonable moral imperatives.

@Vexcalibur: Please stop misspelling my religion in that silly way.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 6:28 pm

dopplercb wrote:
Philologos wrote:
And the neat thing about Jesus talking to sinners, is repenting and working toward sinning no more is what he asks.

that's like apologizing everytime you do something wrong, but continuing to do something wrong, knowing Jesus will save you if you say 'I promise this will hopefully be my last mistake. I'LL TRY! I SWEAR!'

I am just so sorry. I was not born perfect - like you - knowing RIGHT from WRONG by instinct without needing God or a conscience, and able to do right always and only.

Those of us, Bunky, who are NOT infallible inflexible automata DO - check out Simpson and Sampson - fall. And thank God we are not killed by our parents when we do notr walk perfectly first try.

Who was calling whom hypocritical?