More low wage jobs or fewer better paying ones?

Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Which is better for the economy/society?
More jobs paying less money each 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
Fewer jobs paying more money each 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
Unsure 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Other (please elaborate) 32%  32%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 25

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm

CoMF wrote:
How about a third option: Alleviating high costs of living by eliminating the cronyism rife within government? Get corporations out of bed with agencies like the FDA and EPA. That sort of thing.

Nah... "Haves versus have nots" arguments are so much more emotionally satisfying...

Forget I said anything. Carry on...

Voices of reason are not near as interesting

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Europe's "high" quality of life is a myth and their economies are all collapsing. You'll be seeing a lot more of what you're seeing in Greece play out over that whole continent. America's finances aren't any better, we just allocate our monopoly money to other things.

Greece's elections next month should be a real hoot. They have been so robbed of their democracy that they'll go out and vote for hardline Stalinists, Trotskyites, and literal Nazis to save them. That's not even a joke, Golden Dawn is poised to enter parliament.

Which is due to the massive failure that is the Euro. Shame, that.

But, if you really want to argue that the European quality of life is a myth, just look up some surveys. Show us, don't tell us.

You will reap what you've sown.

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2012, 12:20 pm

Alexender wrote:
Voices of reason are not near as interesting

Yeah, seems to have always been true in my experience. :(

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm

CoMF wrote:
How about a third option: Alleviating high costs of living by eliminating the cronyism rife within government? Get corporations out of bed with agencies like the FDA and EPA. That sort of thing.

Diogenes walked around with a lantern for decodes trying to find a way to do that. He failed.

You may as well pray for Goodness to Prevail On The Earth. It won't.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 12:28 pm

abacacus wrote:

That is an emotional argument. You are lying to yourself if you honestly believe your arguments should be taken as anything else.

Show us facts. Real facts. Show us how much money trickle down economics have put in to the economy and not saved in a bank. Show us what it's done instead of relying on a single argument that means exactly nothing.

It is a statistical fact. The per capita income of American poor is higher than the per capita income of Haitian poor or African poor. Look it up. American poor, on average, are better off than Haitian Poor or African Poor. Try proving that it isn't so.

And if you had to be Poor would you rather be poor in the U.S. or poor in Haiti or Uganda (for example). Would you like to be poor in North Korea? At least our poor are eating regularly. Our poor can be better fed out of dumpsters than the North Korea poor, although it is not necessary to go dumpster diving.

ruveyn

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2012, 12:31 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Diogenes walked around with a lantern for decodes trying to find a way to do that. He failed.

I'm not looking for an honest man so much as I'm hoping for someone with the chutzpah to transform the political enviornment so that it's hostile to parasites, even if that means challenging or, if necessary, demolishing institutions considered sacrosanct by the public.

But I do see your point.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 1:06 pm

CoMF wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

I'm not looking for an honest man so much as I'm hoping for someone with the chutzpah to transform the political enviornment so that it's hostile to parasites, even if that means challenging or, if necessary, demolishing institutions considered sacrosanct by the public.

But I do see your point.

Follow the money> once the government gets the money the people in government will use it to gain more power. It is as inevitable as the sunrise.

ruveyn

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 1:20 pm

other.

more high paid jobs, more equality on wealth, and no "rich" people.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Apr 2012, 1:26 pm

peebo wrote:
other.

What of people whose labor is worth more than others? What reason do they have to contribute more than others when they are not compensated for it?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 1:37 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Europe's "high" quality of life is a myth and their economies are all collapsing. You'll be seeing a lot more of what you're seeing in Greece play out over that whole continent. America's finances aren't any better, we just allocate our monopoly money to other things.

Greece's elections next month should be a real hoot. They have been so robbed of their democracy that they'll go out and vote for hardline Stalinists, Trotskyites, and literal Nazis to save them. That's not even a joke, Golden Dawn is poised to enter parliament.

How about Canada? Is their quality of life a myth? Is their economy collapsing?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 1:41 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Do you ever intend to make an actual argument and just play on peoples emotions?

I am an Aspie. I do not understand or believe in emotions. I just ask questions.

And I will make a statement. I would rather be poor in the U.S. than poor in Haitii or Africa. Is that plain enough for you.

ruveyn

Why do you assume if someone says they think the european poor are better off that indicates they think they feel the same about Haitii or Africa.?

Also that's no excuse, lots of aspies here understand and believe in emotions.

They do? How about that?

ruveyn

I hope you didn't seriously think autism or aspergers is defined as having no emotions.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 1:44 pm

ruveyn wrote:
abacacus wrote:

That is an emotional argument. You are lying to yourself if you honestly believe your arguments should be taken as anything else.

Show us facts. Real facts. Show us how much money trickle down economics have put in to the economy and not saved in a bank. Show us what it's done instead of relying on a single argument that means exactly nothing.

It is a statistical fact. The per capita income of American poor is higher than the per capita income of Haitian poor or African poor. Look it up. American poor, on average, are better off than Haitian Poor or African Poor. Try proving that it isn't so.

And if you had to be Poor would you rather be poor in the U.S. or poor in Haiti or Uganda (for example). Would you like to be poor in North Korea? At least our poor are eating regularly. Our poor can be better fed out of dumpsters than the North Korea poor, although it is not necessary to go dumpster diving.

ruveyn

And who exactly is aruging that the poor in those countries have higher per capita income than those in the U.S? I believe the argument was that the european poor might have it better in some ways. Not that the Haitian or African poor do, I imagine they are probably worse off than both the american and european poor.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 1:46 pm

Jacoby wrote:
peebo wrote:
other.

What of people whose labor is worth more than others? What reason do they have to contribute more than others when they are not compensated for it?

Having more money then someone else is not the only way to be compensated for what work you put in, the sooner people get out of that mindset the better.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Apr 2012, 1:48 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

How about Canada? Is their quality of life a myth? Is their economy collapsing?

It's all coming down eventually. Whole world is going to get dragged down with Europe.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 1:48 pm

ruveyn wrote:
abacacus wrote:

ruveyn

It's quite telling that the only countries you're willing to stack up against are third world nations.

You will reap what you've sown.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 1:58 pm

How about jobs that pay decently and allow a comfortable standard of living, while not being exceedingly high or low.

If you accept low paying jobs, you'll get even lower paying jobs eventually, and if you accept high paying jobs, there will be a big divide among those that make a lot of money and those that make hardly anything.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"