For those against abortion, are you against spraying Lysol?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:31 pm

For those against abortion, are you against spraying Lysol? Lysol kills bacteria. That's murder, right? Those poor bacteria suffer, don't they?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:33 pm

You strawman argument can simply be countered by extending the principle and assuming it is of equal irrelevance if someone kills you too.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:36 pm

A bacteria is a prokaryotic life cell with no inner organs, no brain or anything like that. Premature babies have survived at 22 weeks. I'm not against abortion at early stages (I don't identify as neither pro-life, nor pro-choice), but every time the most radical pro-life activists are presented with evidence of this, they either change the subject or pretend it's never happened.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2012, 4:39 pm

One of the worst arguments I've seen on here. Few people care about killing bacteria or insects, but many have a problem killing animals and humans.

As somebody already pointed out. Why is your life worth more than bacteria?

TM
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:39 pm

TallyMan wrote:
You strawman argument can simply be countered by extending the principle and assuming it is of equal irrelevance if someone kills you too.

Then again, the argument that life begins at conception can also be extended to that life beings when you're just thinking of f*****g someone. If god is the Otto Klemperer of life, he would know that the woman would be pregnant at exactly that time and that she would be getting an abortion, before she ever had sex, he even made her in such a way that she would be likely to take that option. Furthermore, Jesus said that merely lusting after someone was equivalent to commuting adultery, I.E. thinking of having sex with someone, is as bad as actually having sex with them. So on that principle, if you're thinking of having a kid with someone, then don't sleep with them, that's the equivalent of an abortion.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited by TM on 04 Nov 2012, 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2012, 4:43 pm

TM wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Then again, the argument that life begins at conception can also be extended to that life beings when you're just thinking of f***ing someone. If god is the Otto Klemperer of life, he would know that the woman would be pregnant at exactly that time and that she would be getting an abortion, before she ever had sex, he even made her in such a way that she would be likely to take that option. Furthermore, Jesus said that merely lusting after someone was equivalent to commuting adultery, I.E. thinking of having sex with someone, is as bad as actually having sex with them. So on that principle, if you're thinking of having a kid with someone, then don't sleep with them, that's the equivalent of an abortion.

Even bringing God into this is a straw man. Anyone who argues from the pro life position because of God is an idiot and shouldn't be taken seriously. Let's have a real discussion here.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:45 pm

TM wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Then again, the argument that life begins at conception can also be extended to that life beings when you're just thinking of f***ing someone. If god is the Otto Klemperer of life, he would know that the woman would be pregnant at exactly that time and that she would be getting an abortion, before she ever had sex, he even made her in such a way that she would be likely to take that option. Furthermore, Jesus said that merely lusting after someone was equivalent to commuting adultery, I.E. thinking of having sex with someone, is as bad as actually having sex with them. So on that principle, if you're thinking of having a kid with someone, then don't sleep with them, that's the equivalent of an abortion.

Who in this thread said that life began at conception?

TM
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

*makes note to self about exaggeration and sarcasm*

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

Kurgan wrote:
I'm not against abortion at early stages (I don't identify as neither pro-life, nor pro-choice).

Ditto the above, just for the record.

@TM what have sky fairies got to do with it anyway?

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2012, 4:48 pm

Kurgan wrote:
TM wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Who in this thread said that life began at conception?

I did, and the scientific community.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 8:11 pm

Jitro wrote:
For those against abortion, are you against spraying Lysol? Lysol kills bacteria. That's murder, right? Those poor bacteria suffer, don't they?

Killing your own species is murder.

Killing members of nonhuman species (whether it is moral or not) is not murder.
Killing cows for food is not actually murder.

Nor is killing microbes.

Bacteria are farther removed from humans than are heads of lettuce.