Page 15 of 26 [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:48 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
the police do the best they can with limited recources.there are just not enough cops to patrol these high crime areas.i personaly dont question that the police want to help

I'm not questioning the motivations of the police (in this thread, anyway), but rather making the observation that they rarely prevent crime through no fault of their own. I would not *want* a cop on every corner even if it was monetarily feasible, because that would be a police state I wouldn't want to live in, thus the need for people to be willing and able to take responsibility for their own protection.

- Rick Sanchez

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:54 pm

Dox47 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
the police do the best they can with limited recources.there are just not enough cops to patrol these high crime areas.i personaly dont question that the police want to help

I'm not questioning the motivations of the police (in this thread, anyway), but rather making the observation that they rarely prevent crime through no fault of their own. I would not *want* a cop on every corner even if it was monetarily feasible, because that would be a police state I wouldn't want to live in, thus the need for people to be willing and able to take responsibility for their own protection.
true

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:57 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Trigger locks might have helped. What can you do if you have a lot of guns and kids is the question? How do you keep a kid away from a gun?
a heavy steel safe with heavy doors and a combination code would be good

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:15 pm

I keep a safe bolted to the concrete in my basement, and my .380 is usually on me or in my immediate vicinity within the house. It's light enough that I don't even notice it if I put it in the front pouch of my lounging sweatshirt, and it's never safer than when it's on my person.

- Rick Sanchez

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:19 pm

I don't get how somebody could look at a cute little kid and SHOOT THEM! This is just unfathomable to me! :cry:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:23 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Trigger locks might have helped. What can you do if you have a lot of guns and kids is the question? How do you keep a kid away from a gun?

That's excellent advice for a gun collection. What about people who have guns for personal protection which sounds like the case here? How can you use a gun for protection while it's locked away? Presents a dilemma.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:24 pm

Odin wrote:
I don't get how somebody could look at a cute little kid and SHOOT THEM! This is just unfathomable to me! :cry:

A truly unhinged person might see children as demons or monsters.

ruveyn

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:08 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

That's excellent advice for a gun collection. What about people who have guns for personal protection which sounds like the case here? How can you use a gun for protection while it's locked away? Presents a dilemma.
im mainly into hunting and im not an expert on guns in general.i dont own any hand guns or anything for protection.ask maybe one other guys.im not sure how to answer that

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:14 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Odin wrote:

ruveyn

Or he was expressing his all consuming, incomprehensible hatred in his soul by such a despicable act.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Some people use a smaller lock box type of safe with a quick action keypad mounted near the bed, others just keep a gun on the nightstand or under the bed and lock their bedroom door at night. I keep the bulk of my guns locked in my safe, but I always have at least one handgun on the nightstand when I go to bed at night. Out in the world my guns simply never leave their holsters, they're pretty hard to steal when they're on me.

- Rick Sanchez

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:48 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Odin wrote:

ruveyn

This is kind of off-the-wall but his mother is being reported as a doomsday prepper type. What if he was convinced the world will really end soon so he decided to just go crazy and do this? What if the motive is he believed the world is about to end?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:53 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Odin wrote:

ruveyn

This is kind of off-the-wall but his mother is being reported as a doomsday prepper type. What if he was convinced the world will really end soon so he decided to just go crazy and do this? What if the motive is he believed the world is about to end?

Being that the FBI is taking a look at Lanza's computer in order to find a motive, we may very well discover you're right.

matchalatte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 9:58 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Odin wrote:

ruveyn

I was thinking the same thing. If he imprinted on her really deeply and took what she said literally, he could've seriously been convinced the world was going to end. I've never been convinced of that before but I imagine it's a terrifying thing to be convinced of. Perhaps him killing others had something to do with that idea of the world ending -- either to save them or to kill them to stop the world ending.

Every aspect of what happened is a tragedy. I can't help thinking if she were more responsible about what she was telling a son who probably took things literally, maybe this all wouldn't have happened. :(

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 10:54 pm

So what if his mother had been a "prepper"?
So what if he had easy access to guns?
He was 20 years old and therefor legally responsible for himself.
The bottom line is if someone who worked at that school (teacher, principal, janitor, cook, secretary, or whoever) had been armed they could have put a few holes in him before it got as far as it did. It's a gun free zone so it was a soft target. Soft targets are weakness and weakness invites attack for the obvious reasons.
Chances are he wouldn't have gone there had not not been a gun free zone and if he had he would have very likely met resistance.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 11:08 pm

Raptor wrote:
The bottom line is if someone who worked at that school (teacher, principal, janitor, cook, secretary, or whoever) had been armed they could have put a few holes in him before it got as far as it did. It's a gun free zone so it was a soft target. Soft targets are weakness and weakness invites attack for the obvious reasons.
Chances are he wouldn't have gone there had not not been a gun free zone and if he had he would have very likely met resistance.

I would prefer to have the lunatics stopped by security before they can get inside the school. After all, with teachers or janitors shooting back, I'd think that alone could cause the body count to rise just by accident of friendly fire.

matchalatte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 11:09 pm

Raptor wrote:

I'm not trying to get into an argument, here. I'm just presenting possible ideas of what happened. The truth is we can't see inside this kid's mind or ask him what his motivation was because he's dead. Even looking at his computer will only give us information he wanted to write down -- which isn't necessarily everything that was going on in his mind. We can only try to see where there might have been holes in the system that made accomplishing this heinous act more easy. My aim was to look at the greater picture critically and try to see, with consideration to my experience in psychology and security, where we could potentially prevent this from happening again.

After all, if there were nothing wrong with the systems in place, it's hard to imagine how something could go so wrong...