Page 3 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 10:12 pm

Quote:
The world is a poorer place without them.

I completely agree.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 11:45 pm

I wish I had a camera about 10 years ago when I was in San Bernardino county (CA) in a rural, area near the mountains. There was this little general store advertizing a sale on beer and jerky. I knew right then what the local demographics of the area were like! :lol:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 9:07 am

ruveyn wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
A friend of mine thinks it's racist to have black hair care products all grouped together in the health and beauty dept of stores. She also thinks it's racist they way our independently owned grocery stores have all the Mexican food products together and a lot of the food products that black people buy grouped together. I do not agree, I think it's simply an easy way of finding what you are looking for.

Whats ya'lls opinion on this and do your grocery stores do this?

Making the stuff easier to find is racist? That is utter madness. The politically correct folk should be trussed up and straight jackets and removed to a safe isolated place.

ruveyn

It may be "racist", but that doesn't make it bad.

Putting the feminine hygiene stuff together could be construed as "sexist." But, that also doesn't make it bad.

I'm guessing that Olive Oil's friend is just pulling her leg.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 12:56 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
A friend of mine thinks it's racist to have black hair care products all grouped together in the health and beauty dept of stores. She also thinks it's racist they way our independently owned grocery stores have all the Mexican food products together and a lot of the food products that black people buy grouped together. I do not agree, I think it's simply an easy way of finding what you are looking for.

Making the stuff easier to find is racist? That is utter madness. The politically correct folk should be trussed up and straight jackets and removed to a safe isolated place.

ruveyn

It may be "racist", but that doesn't make it bad.

Putting the feminine hygiene stuff together could be construed as "sexist." But, that also doesn't make it bad.

I'm guessing that Olive Oil's friend is just pulling her leg.

No, she goes overboard about a lot of things. You wouldn't believe some of the inane things she comes up with. She should actually get a job where she gets paid to be offended on behalf of others because that is really all she does. Sometimes I just lay it on thick just to wind her up.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm

Does your friend think that Toys R Us discriminates against older people, or that Victoria's Secret discriminates against men?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 1:03 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
She should actually get a job where she gets paid to be offended on behalf of others because that is really all she does.

Wait... You want her to run for *Congress*? 8O

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 1:54 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

In the case of food, its not racist, its convenience. Grouping foods commonly used together isn't racist. The same way that you might find cocktail sauce in the seafood section. Yeah, it should logically be over with the other tomato sauces, but since its mostly used in combination with shrimp... That, plus the fact that a lot of people might want to buy ingredients for Mexican food, or for Asian food, and I don't think its racist.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 8:39 pm

The diabetic foods are also grouped together and the baby stuff.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 9:44 pm

And then there's the people that have an issue with Aunt Jemima Pancakes and syrup claiming that it's racist.
:roll:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 11:26 pm

Raptor wrote:
And then there's the people that have an issue with Aunt Jemima Pancakes and syrup claiming that it's racist.

Actually, those who call the Aunt Jemima image racist seem to be making a racist assumption themselves. None of them ever stopped to consider that she may be cooking pancakes for her own family and that's just how she wears her hair when she's cooking. Just because she has a rag on her head like Mammy in GWTW does not make her a caricature of a slave or a housekeeper. Even if those who thought up the ad had that in mind, in this day and age she could be a doctor cooking on the weekend for her family.

In our meat department at the small grocery store they keep the chitlins and pig ears and pig feet and chicken livers and gizzards and head cheese and such all in one area and most people, even the black people, refer to it as "over there by where they keep the black folks meats". Now I can see the pork products grouped together like that because they are cheap cuts and kind of nasty but when they put the livers and gizzards over there when the rest of the chicken is in a whole different case, well.... Nobody around here seems to find it a problem. The manager of the meat department who decides all that stuff about what they order and where everything goes, etc is a black guy.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 6:15 am

Fnord wrote:
Does your friend think that Toys R Us discriminates against older people,

It is the grownups who spend their money there. Some of them may be pretending to buy a toy for a nephew's birthday, but then go home and play with it themselves.

Fnord wrote:
or that Victoria's Secret discriminates against men?

Some men who are thin and who like to wear that type of clothing might shop there.

The store does discriminate against fat broads. Here we are in the midst of an obesity epidemic, and pretty much the only dames who can shop there are the ones for whom the effects of the high fructose corn syrup haven't yet kicked in.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 6:17 am

Raptor wrote:
/\ /\ /\
I don't consider myself an intellectual so I guess I'm off the hook.

Not even a faux intellectual?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 6:31 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Actually, those who call the Aunt Jemima image racist seem to be making a racist assumption themselves. None of them ever stopped to consider that she may be cooking pancakes for her own family and that's just how she wears her hair when she's cooking. Just because she has a rag on her head like Mammy in GWTW does not make her a caricature of a slave or a housekeeper. Even if those who thought up the ad had that in mind, in this day and age she could be a doctor cooking on the weekend for her family.

Actually, Aunt Jemima products are extremely low quality. A doctor wouldn't be using Aunt Jemima products to cook for her family.

Quote:
Here’s why Aunt Jemima thinks you should buy her syrup: "Give your pancakes what they deserve and top them with the classic taste of Aunt Jemima® Original Syrup. Our rich and thick syrup is the perfect way to top your family’s favorite pancakes and waffles."

Classic taste. Rich and thick. Original – sounds like maple syrup, doesn’t it?

What you need to know: Here is the ingredient list of the “original syrup” (you’ll have to look hard to find maple):

CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.

Nope, No maple syrup here. Instead, 10 different chemicals combined to reach the same flavor and texture of the truly original pancake syrup. You can bet that they are much cheaper to procure and mix than maple syrup is. Here are a few highlights:

HFCS – jury is out on whether this is what’s causing obesity rates to skyrocket or not. But whether high fructose corn syrup is the culprit or not, one thing is for sure. Its presence is usually the sign of a highly processed product that does not offer any nutritional benefits, and may actually cause harm.

(By the way, Aunt Jemima is owned by Quaker Oats, which is owned by PepsiCo. They probably get a great price on the high fructose corn syrup.)

Sodium benzoate – a preservative to stop molding, but it has its share of problems. Even Coca Cola stopped using it a few years ago.

Sodium hexametaphosphate – a water softener.

Artificial and Natural flavors - do their best to make the syrup taste original.

A doctor would be wealthy enough to buy the real deal.

rather than high fructose corn syrup combined with a bunch of stupid chemicals to simulate the real deal.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 6:36 am

^^ You have no idea what any given person, doctor or not, would be feeding their family. Plus, it's your opinion that they are low quality. Many doctors here in the Deep South eat the regular, unhealthy things that the rest of us do.

You don't know everything you know. Really.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 7:02 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
^^ You have no idea what any given person, doctor or not, would be feeding their family.

You really think that a doctor, who has had shedloads of education, keeps up with the latest medical research, and is able to read product labels, would be feeding that crap to her family?

OliveOilMom wrote:
Plus, it's your opinion that they are low quality.

My opinion happens to coincide with the facts, at least in this particular case. Aunt Jemima syrup is low-quality garbage: simply high-fructose corn syrup, mixed with some stupid chemicals to simulate maple syrup.

OliveOilMom wrote:
Many doctors here in the Deep South eat the regular, unhealthy things that the rest of us do.

"regular, unhealthy" = "low quality"

Your doctors should really know better. And, they ought to be able to afford the real deal.

OliveOilMom wrote:
You don't know everything you know. Really.

Yes I do.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 8:00 am

By the by, a bit of history about Aunt Jemima:

http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/ ... nt-jemima/

The first woman to portray Aunt Jemima actually was a former slave.

Also

Quote:
The product was originally named “Self-Rising Pancake Flour” and sold in bags. In the fall of 1889, Rutt was inspired to rename the mix after attending a minstrel show, during which a popular song titled “Old Aunt Jemima” was performed by men in blackface, one of whom was depicting a slave mammy of the plantation South. The song, which was written by the African-American singer, dancer and acrobat Billy Kersands in 1875, was a staple of the minstrel circuit and was based on a song sung by field slaves.

I have to agree with the author's conclusions

Quote:
My overarching point, here, is that marketing can be – and often is – used to manipulate the facts. It’s used as a tool to convince you to give me your money and not the other guy. And that’s fine – but as conscious consumers, we like to have all the facts. I can’t say that I’d support Aunt Jemima anyway because (a) I’m pretty sure that syrup isn’t much more than high fructose corn syrup and caramel color anymore, (b) my pancakes taste way better and (c) I’m not interested in paying triple the cost for a poor quality product. However, I couldn’t even tacitly support a company like this.

Just consider this a lesson in “epic whitewashing,” and a polite reminder that marketing is almost always hiding something.