Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 7:30 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Would you volunteer to serve and die because the west and east Ukraine can't get a long? It's easy to be a hawk when it doesn't involve you directly, we call that a chicken hawk. Unless you're personally willing to serve then I don't think you have a right to advocate for war.

The chickenhawk fallacy.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

03 Sep 2014, 7:33 pm

Humanaut wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Would you volunteer to serve and die because the west and east Ukraine can't get a long? It's easy to be a hawk when it doesn't involve you directly, we call that a chicken hawk. Unless you're personally willing to serve then I don't think you have a right to advocate for war.

The chickenhawk fallacy.
how is it a fallacy?

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 8:08 pm

Forgive me for thinking you had rational thought out response to that. I don't care for neoconservative arguments which you linked to, I find them dishonest and sociopathic. I don't see foreign policy and the lives it effects as a grand chess game, I believe in right & wrong not realpolitik or the moral relativism that lies within. The only just war is a defensive war. History hath shown what the true consequences for our adventurism, it isn't a net positive.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 9:15 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I feel sympathy for the people there, but I'd rather not have US involvement .As soon as they drop off a "few" soldiers,then they send more.
As for sending them medical and humanitarian supplies,that's fine with me.

it won't turn into a mass war. Obama won't do that. plus do you really think the Russians will risk ww3 and nukes by attacking us troops? or will the presence of NATO troops force the Russians to move their troops back. same reason we didn't want to bomb syriathere were Russian bases there, if we made a mistake and bombed Russian's the'd be hail to pay

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 9:16 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Forgive me for thinking you had rational thought out response to that. I don't care for neoconservative arguments which you linked to, I find them dishonest and sociopathic. I don't see foreign policy and the lives it effects as a grand chess game, I believe in right & wrong not realpolitik or the moral relativism that lies within. The only just war is a defensive war. History hath shown what the true consequences for our adventurism, it isn't a net positive.

ww2 wasn't defensive. korea wasn't defensive. yet both of these are consider good and needed wars. should we have waited for Hitler to finish off Europe and attacked the us before we acted?

is a offensive war to stop genocide wrong?

also he made valid points you saying people can only talk about wars or military stuff if they are in the military is silly. obama never served so what right does he have to tell the military what to do. we need to elect a military general from no on I guess.

I would gladly serve my nation if it called. would you?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 9:38 pm

sly279 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I feel sympathy for the people there, but I'd rather not have US involvement .As soon as they drop off a "few" soldiers,then they send more.
As for sending them medical and humanitarian supplies,that's fine with me.

it won't turn into a mass war. Obama won't do that. plus do you really think the Russians will risk ww3 and nukes by attacking us troops? or will the presence of NATO troops force the Russians to move their troops back. same reason we didn't want to bomb syriathere were Russian bases there, if we made a mistake and bombed Russian's the'd be hail to pay

Maybe not,IMO Putin is bat s**t crazy,so who knows?As for serving my country,the way it pans out now you give them your all,and then if you need help,wait for weeks for the VA to see you.
If some force actually landed on our shores that's a different story.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 10:04 pm

sly279 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

ww2 wasn't defensive. korea wasn't defensive. yet both of these are consider good and needed wars. should we have waited for Hitler to finish off Europe and attacked the us before we acted?

also he made valid points you saying people can only talk about wars or military stuff if they are in the military is silly. obama never served so what right does he have to tell the military what to do. we need to elect a military general from no on I guess.

I would defend my family and my home, not the private interests some greedy corporation or power-lusting politician. I believe that interventionism breeds violence, that it perpetuates it and creates more suffering and blood shed in the long run than it would without. If you look at all the problems we have today, you can trace the origin of them back to our creation. I believe in neutrality, I believe America should be like Switzerland. That is what our founders wanted, Thomas Jefferson said that was should have "peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all; entangling alliances with none".

WWII is good example of blowback, if the US didn't interfere in WWI does it even happen? It's easy to point out WWII as the "good war" but it ignores how that situation came about in the first place.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 10:45 pm

sly279 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

ww2 wasn't defensive.

Ever hear of Pearl Harbor?

The Axis powers attacked US first.

Remember?

You need to be called out for including the one, and only, of the MANY American wars of the 20th Century that REALLY WAS DEFENSIVE as an example of a war that was "not defensive".

Not debating your point. There might be justifications for entering wars that dont spread to us first. But you cant use a war that DID spread to our shores first as an example of that.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 2:23 am

1024 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
So you believe that Kosovo is rightfully part of Serbia correct?

Yes. It's right that the NATO protected the people of Kosovo, who (unlike Russians in Ukraine) were being massacred. But after the nationalist governtment fell in Serbia, it should've been returned to Serbia, with appropriate guarantees that they won't be targeted again.

Why would the Kosovars want that? They are generally ethnic Albanians and not Serbians. What's so bad about changing the borders when it's clear that it's not working the way it is now? If people want their own state, just give it to them. It's strange the Kurds have no state of their own when there are 30+ million of them. Even the Luxemburgians and the Icelanders got their own state.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 3:04 am

naturalplastic wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

ww2 wasn't defensive.

Ever hear of Pearl Harbor?

The Axis powers attacked US first.

Remember?

You need to be called out for including the one, and only, of the MANY American wars of the 20th Century that REALLY WAS DEFENSIVE as an example of a war that was "not defensive".

Not debating your point. There might be justifications for entering wars that dont spread to us first. But you cant use a war that DID spread to our shores first as an example of that.

japan attacked us, yet we attacked german first. also defensive wars are defensive and stop at the borders . we went offensive and contrated most our effort on the nation that didn't attack us.
we wanted involved in the european war, japan gave us a reason its why we attacked germany first rather then going after the japanese with all we had then getting around to germany. we could have negotiated a peace with germany. their treaty said they didn't have to declare on us if japan attacked. I think the whole war was justified. but if we fought it as just a defensive war we only would have gone after japan. we wouldn't have aided england provoking germany. most people back then did not want war with germany which is why our president had to do hidden deals and manipulate. he even gave orders not to fire on japanese ships first. when doing so could have avoided death, now he had no idea it would be such a massive attack. and we needed the japanese to attack first to get the public on the side of the war effort.

every war we've been in has either been us attacked or an ally. that's how we roll. we always try to make it seem like we were attacked. its good for public support. even still public support for a war last 2-3 years then people just want out. I can't imagine us fighting a serious long term war on our soil. we just don't have the will for it as a nation. we'd fight for 4 years then people would want to get peace or surrender.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 3:05 am

trollcatman wrote:
1024 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
So you believe that Kosovo is rightfully part of Serbia correct?

Yes. It's right that the NATO protected the people of Kosovo, who (unlike Russians in Ukraine) were being massacred. But after the nationalist governtment fell in Serbia, it should've been returned to Serbia, with appropriate guarantees that they won't be targeted again.

Why would the Kosovars want that? They are generally ethnic Albanians and not Serbians. What's so bad about changing the borders when it's clear that it's not working the way it is now? If people want their own state, just give it to them. It's strange the Kurds have no state of their own when there are 30+ million of them. Even the Luxemburgians and the Icelanders got their own state.

what about the people in the us who want a new state(mind you just a state not a nation) we won't even give them that. so yeah the us is generally opposed to changing borders.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 3:13 am

Jacoby wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I would defend my family and my home, not the private interests some greedy corporation or power-lusting politician. I believe that interventionism breeds violence, that it perpetuates it and creates more suffering and blood shed in the long run than it would without. If you look at all the problems we have today, you can trace the origin of them back to our creation. I believe in neutrality, I believe America should be like Switzerland. That is what our founders wanted, Thomas Jefferson said that was should have "peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all; entangling alliances with none".

WWII is good example of blowback, if the US didn't interfere in WWI does it even happen? It's easy to point out WWII as the "good war" but it ignores how that situation came about in the first place.

what about my family? others?
I would gladly defend any human's life regardless of blood or citizenship.
violence doesn't need to be bread it already exists and self replicates. ignoring it won't stop it but allow it to spread. all that is needed for evil to succeed is good men to do nothing. this is the problem with our world. if a person sees a woman be stabbed he does nothing, its not his family its not his problem.
is switzerland neutral? they do so many bad money deals, they bank roll bad people, they accept blood money, they support evil and violence as long as it makes them money. I wouldn't call that neutral. if they were they would not do any deals outside their nation. how did we get into ww1. we were neutral and sold to both sides, turns out people don't like you seelling weapons to their enemies. greed is the provider of violence. we were greedy to sell to both sides when to be neutral we should have sold to no on.
but we did and got attacked for it. ever war comes down to greed, wanting money, wanting power, wanting land. we humans are never happy with what we have, always wanting more. so sooner or later we'd get attacked, and Id rather have allies at that time to help us.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 7:20 am

Quote:
apan attacked us, yet we attacked german first. also defensive wars are defensive and stop at the borders . we went offensive and contrated most our effort on the nation that didn't attack us.

Germany declared war on the United States a few days after Pearl Harbor.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 9:55 pm

yes but if we wanted to we could have started peace talks. Germany wanted us as friends and likely would have been up to it. not saying we should have.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 9:17 am

Humanaut wrote:
I don't think they would retaliate if Sevastopol got nuked. It's worth the risk. Get ready.

That is the most fool hardy thing I have heard in a long time.

Obviously not grasping the whole point of nuclear deterrent.

If someone makes a strike on you strike back. This is why no side wishes to.

Worth the risk my arse. Right now we have a worrying but local conflict. We need people who can make sound tactical decisions, not stupid ones.