Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 12:56 am

appletheclown wrote:
Sure, let's make opium, meth, and pcp legal for everyone 16 and up to enjoy at their leisure!
It'll be so much better knowing my kids are going to be meth heads!

that would be going overboard, but countries with treatment rather than jail for addicts have lower abuse rates.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 1:43 am

The "war on drugs" won't end because there are too many powerful empires built around it and too many simpleminded do-gooders with influence supporting it. It is an unwinnable war and anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows it.
It's a simple matter of supply and demand and since there will always be a demand there will be a supply. The value of the commodities in question will be whatever the consumer is willing to pay.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 4:04 am

Fnord wrote:
No.

The War is not yet over. There is no 'defend' option; there is only attack, attack, and attack again and again until we've crushed your enemies, seen them driven before us, and heard the lamentations of their women.

Prepare to fight a many-headed monster who whenever one of its heads is cut off sprouts a new head stronger and fiercer than before.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 May 2015, 8:37 am

appletheclown wrote:
Sure, let's make opium, meth, and pcp legal for everyone 16 and up to enjoy at their leisure!

If the only thing stopping your kids from taking meth is the fear of the law, then someone isn't doing their job properly.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 10:02 am

appletheclown wrote:

Why do you figure meth is the first thing people would jump on? anyways, most people I know have no interest in that and besides as far as I can tell its as if someone pays a rather significant sum of money for a little shard that can only possibly provide a couple 'hits' I could get a sack of weed to last me close to a week for the amount that would cost.

But if drugs where treated as a health issue, there would be no 'rebelling' factor really...which does play into why a lot of younger people start using drugs, and might even be more willing to just try any drug as long as it's illegal. People with substance abuse problems could more easily seek treatment without risking legal penalties or heavy stigma...the effects and risks of drugs would likely be better understood and treated if they become problematic. Treating it as a criminal issue sure does not appear to be solving anything...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 10:07 am

cathylynn wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

that would be going overboard, but countries with treatment rather than jail for addicts have lower abuse rates.

^this

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 10:10 am

appletheclown wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

"Meth" is already legal for children if Ritalin doesn't work:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm088582.pdf

I am willing to bet the cooks don't bother to try to separate the racemic mixture if you make it haphazardly (the freebase and salt versions have the same properties).

A lot of people won't try the hard stuff due to stable family and personal environments - the more a user thinks it is hopeless in real life, the more willing they'll try it (like the fetanyl-heroin epidemic rashes in the Midwest or Krokodil). So if housing discrimination is eliminated or reduced, etc., it would go a lot farther in reducing drug crime and incarceration rates (although throwing all the users out of prison doesn't do much for them - a lot go back to the same environment that got them in the trouble the first time around).

Sorry charlie, but I take an amphetamine and it sure doesn't do to me what meth does to others.
You've got your chemicals mixed up.

Yeah Ritalin is more like cocaine, its not...but more similar in effects, adderall on the other hand or amphetamine would be much closer to meth. But there is a pharmaceutical version of meth that comes in a pill, though not sure they give it to children with ADHD/ADD might be more for adults but not sure.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 11:00 am

Nebogipfel wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

There are ways to mitigate the deleterious effects of prohibition short of total legalisation. Something like cutting dealers out of the equation completely by providing drugs to addicts under government medicare, but under restricted circumstances.

Treating Drug addiction like a mental health issue and government controlling every facet of it, instead of a criminal one, would help to resolve the following:

-The corrupting influence of illicit drugs on law enforcement.
-The coercive power of drugs used by pimps to enslave women.
-The spread of Aids and Hepatitis from sharing needles.
-The dangers that dropped needles pose to the public.
-The fact that addicts often need to steal or prostitute themselves to support their habit.
-Addicts not feeling as though they have any stake in in their communities and hence acting in an irresponsible manner.

It would also give aid groups more information and access to addicts in order to provide rehabilitation opportunities.

Various arrangements could be set up to make addicts pay for this, lets call it medicine, and this could provide a lot of government revenue. Or not. Whatever works.

All of this could be accompanied by sincere and honest anti drug campaigns...

That is a little to soviet like for my liking....the government is never that sincere and honest with anything they have that much control over. Also addicts should not have to pay for medical care any differently than anyone else...if they happen to qualify for government assistance in that area they still have a right to it, if they do not qualify then they have to pay/go in debt or have insurance like anyone else(at least in the current system)...they should not be forced into say labor or anything meant as a legal 'punishment' or be treated any differently in that regard when it comes to treatment.

Also I certainly do not think drug addiction is an excuse to commit crimes against others, for instance if someonene with an addiction kills someone they shouldn't get a lesser sentence just for being an addict...though if that condition somehow plays into it/effects it then it has to be considered just like with mental illness, but that doesn't mean people ought to just get away with hurting people just because they have a mental health issue or an addiction. I do certainly agree with treating it more like a health issue than a legal issue however.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 May 2015, 9:03 am

All drugs should be legal, it isn't the government's business to protect ourselves from ourselves. They are not our parents. Legalized and regulated drugs would save lives, money, and communities. Freedom shouldn't scare you, there isn't anything stopping you from doing these illegal drugs now except words on paper so is that the only thing preventing you from getting strung out on heroin? The worst thing about these drugs isn't the drug itself but rather the environment in which it was made/transported/sold, what it was cut with, and then of course the cops. Its much cheaper and more compassionate to treat drug addiction as the medical problem that it is, doing it by force has been nothing but an abject failure that has made things worst and nobody can argue otherwise The War on Drugs is the modern moral equivalent of slavery for this country and it needs to end now, it might be the single most destructive aspect of our society today.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 10:25 am

The only thing that came from legalizing pot was a new wave of potheads.
The only thing that can come from the legalization of meth ('the hard stuff', for people who don't understand chemistry) is a new wave of meth heads.
I see no good in legalizing meth. Nothing.
You don't legalize murder to make homicides stop do you?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 10:35 am

appletheclown wrote:

Oh really because medical marijuana legalization has brought many people a much needed treatment option for various conditions. As for recreational legalization no it did not magically create a new wave of potheads, rather made it so potheads, stoners and occasional users aren't committing a crime when they smoke marijuana....we already existed.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 10:46 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

Oh really because medical marijuana legalization has brought many people a much needed treatment option for various conditions. As for recreational legalization no it did not magically create a new wave of potheads, rather made it so potheads, stoners and occasional users aren't committing a crime when they smoke marijuana....we already existed.

Then you were breaking the law, and got a get out of jail free card, yay......
And yes it did make new potheads. Just because you were already breaking the law, doesn't mean new people aren't exercising their new unsound right to smoke it.
There were already treatments for all such 'pot cured me' ailments.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 May 2015, 11:57 am

appletheclown wrote:
The only thing that can come from the legalization of meth ('the hard stuff', for people who don't understand chemistry) is a new wave of meth heads.

Legalising a drug has no association with its usage. Portugal made all drugs legal and saw a drop in usage; the Czech Republic did the same and saw an increase; overall, there is no correlation and no reason to suppose that making meth legal would lead to significantly more people becoming addicted to it.

So, the advantages of keeping meth illegal:

- None

Disadvantages:

- More money spent imprisoning people
- More people with criminal records
- More money funnelled to drug smugglers

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 May 2015, 12:08 pm

appletheclown wrote:
You don't legalize murder to make homicides stop do you?

non sequitur

Drugs aren't hard to find, more people use drugs now than they did before the War on Drugs. If you really want meth or crack or heroin or whatever then you'll probably find it eventually so hopefully that isn't the only thing preventing you from doing them. I don't need anybody to tell me the stove is hot, its in my interest to know not to stick my hand on the burner. For the people that are so inclined they risk their health from what the drug was made/cut with, contact with criminals, ostacization from friends/family/school/work and society in general, arrest and imprisonment by cops and judiciary that do not care much for human rights. You legalize and regulate the market then treat it as a health problem, it solves most of the issues with illicit drug use and makes life a lot more peaceful.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 12:37 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

Then you were breaking the law, and got a get out of jail free card, yay......
And yes it did make new potheads. Just because you were already breaking the law, doesn't mean new people aren't exercising their new unsound right to smoke it.
There were already treatments for all such 'pot cured me' ailments.

Many people where breaking the law then, hell they even threw out a lot of peoples sentences who had been arrested for cannabis when it was legalized. But it was an archaic law, waiting to be broken cigarettes and alcohol are legal and they both carry more health risks than marijuana...so it was silly to have a even less harmful drug illegal.

And sure perhaps people that didn't smoke before due to legal restrictions will now...some people have expressed now that cannabis is legal they've either cut out alcohol or prefer to smoke, but where drinking instead before because of laws and drug tests...but now a lot of places don't care so much now. If anything that is likely a good thing since alcohol is so unhealthy.

Also I have not heard a lot of people say 'pot cured me' however there is documented evidence it helps significantly with a lot of conditions while causing minimal negative side effects. Some people cannot tolerate those other treatments, or might not be able to handle the side effects of harder drugs either. In addition, people with chronic pain are able to minimize or eliminate use of opiate pain killers by using cannabis instead, but I suppose you'd feel they are better off just sticking with oxy's right? Or numerous people with epilepsy that were taking multiple medications and still experiencing symptoms as well as unpleasant side effects/health risks of meds who find relief in heavy CBD strains of cannabis and switch to that. There is an influx of people coming here for that reason, since they can legally get their treatment.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 1:01 pm

appletheclown wrote:
So shooting drug lords in the head doesn't put the brakes on anything?
Wow, you learn something everyday...

Does it? Put the brakes on anything? That's news to me.

Dont have a dog in this fight, and I don't shed tears over drug lords being shot in the head, but...

I never heard any evidence that ANY thing that law enforcement does (destroy drug labs, seize and destroy tons of

contraband, arrest drug lords, kill drugs lord with due process, kill drug lords without due process, etc) ever has ANY

effect on the drug traffic.

They shot Pablo Escobar in the head, and it didnt even cause a momentary spike in the price of coke!