The U.S. conservative movement's authoritarian plans

Page 3 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2023, 6:10 pm

KitLily wrote:
If Trump and co want to put LGBTQ+ people in jail, it will mean that people will have to spy on others and tell the police. It will be a police state with everyone having to keep their lives secret again, like in historical times where people were accused of things and put into jail according to the word of others.

We don't want to go backwards in time.

I don't want to live in another red scare. Except this one will be rainbow colored, I guess. The more people a bigoted mainstream society doesn't want get purged, the closer I am to being their next target.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 8:09 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
I don't want to live in another red scare. Except this one will be rainbow colored, I guess. The more people a bigoted mainstream society doesn't want get purged, the closer I am to being their next target.

the lavender scare occurred concurrently with the red scare. Though that was only really targeting gay men, it seems this new and improved version will target all gender and sexual minorities

Coming soon to a state near you...McCarthyism 2: Return of Carthy

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 2:01 pm

What are all these scares? Red, lavender, rainbow? What does it mean?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 5:58 pm

I really don't see much enthusiasm for this sort of thing on the US right, it's not the 90s anymore.

- Rick Sanchez

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 6:11 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I really don't see much enthusiasm for this sort of thing on the US right, it's not the 90s anymore.

:chin:

Except for all the people that don't care that trump lost the election and want him to have been installed as potus-dictator anyways.. yeah, except for them it's totally non-existent on the political right in the USA.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 8:54 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Except for all the people that don't care that trump lost the election and want him to have been installed as potus-dictator anyways.. yeah, except for them it's totally non-existent on the political right in the USA.

Oh look, another worthless opinion from someone who neither lives here nor has any connections to the US right.

- Rick Sanchez

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 8:58 pm

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Oh look, another worthless opinion from someone who neither lives here nor has any connections to the US right.

You're suggesting that's my mere opinion vs. objective reality.. which is wrong. A whole whack of people on the political right in the USA, ranging from voters to politicians, have gone on the record to say that they don't care that trump lost the election they want him installed as potus, anyways.

That's pretty anti-democratic & pro-authoritarian.

Seeing as the USA acts as Team America World Police and influences ~almost every country, especially it's next door neighbours in Canada and Mexico, everyone's exposed to 'merican political news and is, unfortunately, painfully aware of this nonsense.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 11:55 pm

Now I will grant you there might be more that they are not letting on, but after going through a good chunk of their documents, I don't recall seeing arresting LGBTQ people or other things. Did I see neoconservatism on full display and some other worrying stuff? Yeah. Is most of it weak pandering BS? Yeah. About the only thing that is not BS is the securities regulations. The rest just seem watered down BS. In fairness I dug more into the economic side, but would be willing to look at the social issues as well.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2023, 12:47 am

Dox47 wrote:

Are you in touch with the religious right wingers, or mostly just the gun nuts? These are two very different movements, it seems to me, although there is some overlap.

Also, the Heritage Foundation is a think tank, a different (and more elite, more moneyed, and more powerful, though less conspicuous) set of people from the grassroots "patriots."

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2023, 10:59 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Are you in touch with the religious right wingers, or mostly just the gun nuts? These are two very different movements, it seems to me, although there is some overlap.

The beauty of having guns be my portal into the US right is that it cuts across all the different flavors, from religious fundamentalists to atheist libertarians they're all represented pretty well. In fact, that's part of the fun of the bigger gun forums, you get to see intra-right conflict in a way that you wouldn't on more ideological boards as Trumpsters rub up against Moral Majority remnants and various stripes of libertarians, the only constant is a fondness for firearms and a burning hatred for the left (the real thing that binds the right together).

- Rick Sanchez

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 12:00 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Quote:
Sep 6, 2023
The Heritage Foundation and dozens of other right-wing interest groups have aligned to create a 920-page document intended to guide the next Republican president in his first 180-days in office. It’s called Project 2025, and it aims to drastically expand executive power, dismantle the administrative state, enact nationwide internet censorship, ban adult content, eradicate queer people from public life, and politically imprison LGBTQ people. It’s a document written by 300+ conservatives—many of which would likely serve in the next Republican administration. Trump has already embraced parts of Project 2025 and other GOP presidential contenders are likely to do the same. In this video we’ll give you an overview of Project 2025 and discuss the implications of this insane, authoritarian manifesto.

What we have for a right wing these days is not the least bit Conservative. Not only are they radicals, there is not much difference between them and left wing radicals -- they both want to tear down what we have and they imagine that they can then rebuild it the way they want.

No real Conservative wants to destroy our great institutions. Conservatism is about preserving what we have and the social order, not about destroying them.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 7:54 am

kokopelli wrote:
there is not much difference between them and left wing radicals -- they both want to tear down what we have and they imagine that they can then rebuild it the way they want.

can't say I agree. horseshoe theory has been proven wrong several times. 'radical left' to the right means trans people existing ("transgenderism must be eradicated from public life entirely!" -actual quote from some nutjob). 'radical left' to the left means attempting to make the world a better place for everyone, with force. 'radical right' to right is probably jehovah's witnesses or some other niche cult. 'radical right' to the left is the current state of the right.
left right left right left right. so you're not entirely wrong but you're still not correct

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 1:19 pm

I hate to disappoint people, but the vast majority of conservatives could care less about trans stuff, it's only become a flashpoint due to the aggression with which it has been pushed into the mainstream by the left and the ferocity that even good faith questions about the medical evidence are met. Even religious conservatives would be pretty live and let live if they didn't themselves feel besieged.

- Rick Sanchez

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 1:34 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I hate to disappoint people, but the vast majority of conservatives could care less about trans stuff, it's only become a flashpoint due to the aggression with which it has been pushed into the mainstream by the left and the ferocity that even good faith questions about the medical evidence are met. Even religious conservatives would be pretty live and let live if they didn't themselves feel besieged.

1. nope. conservatism is about preserving what is. recognizing that gender is a social construct and breaking that construct scares conservatives.

2. wrong again. I wonder if people of your worldview would have told civil rights activists in the 60s that maybe if they were a bit quieter no one would have a problem with them. point being, conservatives are reactionary. anything that threatens the status quo is an enemy.

3. guess what? the questions are bad faith. all medical research supports existence, care etc. Conservatives prefer highly biased 'studies' that coincidentally align with the status quo. even in courts, attempts to ban care have been struck down when the defenders reveal that the opposers don't know what the hell they're talking about. it's worth mentioning that generally the more educated you are, the more left wing you are.

4. Loud incorrect buzzer sound. Christianity at its core is about preaching; telling others what to do. When people don't agree with them and their strict foolish narrative, they lose their minds and victimize themselves, raving about how modern society's been overtaken by the devil or whatever. minorities existing and thinking differently than them is a threat. slavery was upheld by the bible. homophobia is upheld by the bible. transphobia is upheld by the bible. i guarantee you religious conservatives would always be angry at minorities, no matter what they did.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 4:47 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Lol

Except the only left wing media talking about trans issues are talking about right wing media’s absurd obsession with it as a culture war issue used to rile up bigots.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 4:49 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

The beauty of having guns be my portal into the US right is that it cuts across all the different flavors, from religious fundamentalists to atheist libertarians they're all represented pretty well. In fact, that's part of the fun of the bigger gun forums, you get to see intra-right conflict in a way that you wouldn't on more ideological boards as Trumpsters rub up against Moral Majority remnants and various stripes of libertarians, the only constant is a fondness for firearms and a burning hatred for the left (the real thing that binds the right together).

Thanks for highlighting what’s wrong with these people. So ridiculous that they’re hyper focused on hating the left instead of doing anything beneficial for the country.