What is happening in American universities?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 1:16 am

I heard that some students were arrested because they're marching.But what will happens if don't arrest?They're not trying to overthrow the government, so why are the police so nervous?

I guess it's something I don't know, so I ask.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 1:23 am

Nothing will happen if the protests aren't interfered with, but the students are protesting for a cause that is being misrepresented as evil and all that misrepresentation encourages fear and anger towards them.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 1:52 am

The students are protesting because of what the Israelis are doing to the Palestinians in Gaza. Innocent Gaza civilians are being killed because the Israelis are bent on destroying HAMAS regardless of the civilian casualties. I feel this protest is similar to the Vietnam protests in the 60s as it was widespread on college campuses also (except our President called out the National Guard in one state and they fired upon the protesters and killed 4 students)

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 2:15 am

Aspinator wrote:
The students are protesting because of what the Israelis are doing to the Palestinians in Gaza. Innocent Gaza civilians are being killed because the Israelis are bent on destroying HAMAS regardless of the civilian casualties. I feel this protest is similar to the Vietnam protests in the 60s as it was widespread on college campuses also (except our President called out the National Guard in one state and they fired upon the protesters and killed 4 students)

Yes, this is the purpose of the students, but what is the purpose of the police?Marches seem to be common in the United States. Why arrest people this time?Or is it common to arrest people?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 3:38 am

I was listening to Anthony Scaramucci talk about this. He was saying that US universities are in a difficult position here because they take a lot in donor funding from Jewish alumni and other Israeli-linked sources.

When Jewish students are saying that the pro-Palestine demonstrations are making them feel unsafe on campus, the universities have to listen, which means taking stronger action against the protests than they might otherwise, suspending students etc. Protests then escalate into non-peaceful demonstrations (throw in a few troublemakers who want this to happen anyway) and before long you have police arresting people.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 9:01 am

The administration has felt they have lost control of the situation. The US speaker of the house spoke at Columbia Univ. last week calling for the resignation of the president of Columbia for failing to maintain control. The students feel the US government is partly to blame since we are giving billions each year of military aid to the Israelis.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 9:24 am

Aspinator wrote:
The administration has felt they have lost control of the situation. The US speaker of the house spoke at Columbia Univ. last week calling for the resignation of the president of Columbia for failing to maintain control. The students feel the US government is partly to blame since we are giving billions each year of military aid to the Israelis.

Mike Johnson seems like he'd love to see another Kent State.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 10:54 am

Putting aside justification of the cause, and whether fears are justified depending on the particular protest they can disrupt learning due to the noise of people chanting, access to certain areas being made more difficult or blocked etc. Sometimes the code of conduct students agreed to when they accepted the invitation to attend the university are being violated. By not enforcing the code of conduct it is felt that protesters will become more emboldened to go further leading to a complete breakdown in order.

IMHO they never had control of the situation in the first place through fault of their own and factors they can’t control. They had nothing to do with the plethora of horrific images coming from Gaza on students devices. It very well may be that there was nothing anybody could have done to minimize it, and can do now to prevent the situation from getting a lot worse.

Off Topic
Some commencement ceremonies will be seriously disrupted if not canceled. It has been pointed out that the university class of 2024 was the high school class of 2020 when commencements were seriously disrupted by COVID lockdowns. To me the ceremony and the piece of paper known as a diploma are not important. What is important is the accomplishments they symbolize. I vaguely remember parts of my ceremonies and have no memory of walking up on stage and being handed my diploma. Knowing what I did not know at the time, that I am autistic the accomplishments mean more to me now then they did then. That said to many the graduation ceremonies are considered major life milestones. While fully acknowledging there are and were more important things going on to miss out what practically every other class got to experience falls under the category of it really sucks but s**t happens if it happens one, twice is really f****d up.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman