funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 1:16 pm

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 2:45 pm

This is against the 1st amendment that guarantees our right to free speech.I am not going to listen to a government tell me what I can and can not say.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 3:14 pm

Turns out the GOP can really get behind anti-hate speech legislation, but only if it protects one of the few minorities they actually sometimes care about.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 7:07 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Turns out the GOP can really get behind anti-hate speech legislation, but only if it protects one of the few minorities they actually sometimes care about.

They only care about the Jews for the news cameras. They only care about end times prophesies.

I guarantee that once those cameras are turned off, they're saying they "killed Jesus", and talking about how George Soros controls this and that.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 8:27 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:

They only care about the Jews for the news cameras. They only care about end times prophesies.

I guarantee that once those cameras are turned off, they're saying they "killed Jesus", and talking about how George Soros controls this and that.

I have seen multiple conservatives suggest that Jews deserve the "anti-semitism" they're getting now from the left, because Jews voted Democrat and contributed to "wokeness" in academia and the media. I've seen multiple conservatives suggest that this is what Jews get for being critical of white people. Many of them hope this will finally make Jews vote Republican, but they also seem to think most Jews (like all minorities who vote Democrat) are too stupid/brainwashed to vote Republican.

- Thucydides

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2024, 9:57 am

roronoa79 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:

I have seen multiple conservatives suggest that Jews deserve the "anti-semitism" they're getting now from the left, because Jews voted Democrat and contributed to "wokeness" in academia and the media. I've seen multiple conservatives suggest that this is what Jews get for being critical of white people. Many of them hope this will finally make Jews vote Republican, but they also seem to think most Jews (like all minorities who vote Democrat) are too stupid/brainwashed to vote Republican.

I have seen that. I would suggest that Jews as with people we label moderates or neoliberals in general incorrectly saw “wokeness” as an extreme version of what they believe and expected “SJW’s” to grow out of it like hippies became yuppies. With a few exceptions until recently antisemitism in America was the purview of the right. Even in recent times “wokes” are not the ones shooting up synagogues, chanting “Jews will not replace us” and becoming President. A bunch of “deluded” young people seemed easy to dismiss.

Needless to say nobody deserves it just because they are a member of a group. The Jews they attack just because they are Jews might be Trump voters.

Getting back on topic Republicans see votes which in a close election could be a difference maker. A lot of talk about young voters disaffected with Biden’s support of Israel. IMHO a bigger factor that will hurt Biden is the appearance of anarchy. “Law and Order” is a tried and true campaign message.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2024, 12:50 pm

Needless assault on free speech AFAI can see.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2024, 9:36 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/05/02/mtg-votes-against-antisemitism-awareness-act-antisemitic-trope/73539622007/

Proof of what I said earlier in this thread.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2024, 6:51 am

Yes, this is definitely against free speech laws
A wiki entry about discriminatory conspiracy theories
Trying to reply to this thread with a sarcastic joke without triggering the site's racial slur ban is extremely challenging.

edit:I haven’t read the text of the law carefully, and if it is to oppose verbal violence and physical attacks on Jews, then it is good; but the timing makes it difficult not to connect it with the ongoing student protests. It would be terrible if the police could use this law to deal with students.

Last edited by belijojo on 04 May 2024, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2024, 7:33 am

You have the right to express antisemitic views in America (or racist views or any views), but even if you didnt ...criticizing the government of Israel is not the same thing as "expressing antisemitic views".

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2024, 2:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

From the article:
Quote:
"U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Georgia), most recently in the news for her move to oust Speaker Mike Johnson (R-Louisiana), has come under fire for citing a classic form of antisemitism in her vote against the "Antisemitism Awareness Act," which passed the House on Wednesday in a 320 to 91 vote. The bill pushes for the adoption of a definition of antisemitism in line with that of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance.

"Antisemitism is wrong, but I will not be voting for the Antisemitism Awareness Act of 2023 (H.R. 6090) today that could convict Christians of antisemitism for believing the Gospel that Jesus was handed over to Herod to be crucified by the Jews," Greene wrote in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter."

Marjorie is just standing up for the long-held Judeo?-Christian belief that tolerance for anti-Semitism is necessary to maintain the Christ-Killer narrative. Can you imagine what these people would be saying about Jews if the Holocaust never happened? Can you imagine what these people would be saying if the Germans hadn't made hatred of Jews gauche to most of the historically Jew-hating Christian right? Scream about supporting Israel and you can get away with saying just about anything about Jews, it seems.

Also indicative of Israel's willingness to ally with and enable anti-Semites who agree to support Israel diplomatically or militarily. Hence Bibi's cordial relationship with Viktor " Commie Jews and want to replace Hungarians with Brown People" Órban, or Donald "Jews who don't support Israel are untrustworthy" Trump.

- Thucydides

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2024, 3:25 pm

^

MTG is saying that "we American Christian Evangelists support the right of Christ-killers to have their own homeland! So ya cant take away our right talk about Christ-killers because it would interfere with us helping our friends and allies...the said Christ-killers, to keep their homeland !".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2024, 3:38 pm

The government does not have endless money so it constantly is making decisions on who gets funded. Already it is mandatory that open discrimination does not get funded. This law expands the definition of discrimination to include saying Jews do not have a right to a state. Police and courts do not decide if the law has been broken and enforce this law, bureaucrats do.

The opponents of the law say it chills speech just as if a court sentenced you to prison or fined you for saying Jews do not have a right to self determination. Yes it does, that is the whole point of the law. If we accept this, we on a slippery slope to who knows what. Probably true.

The purpose of this post is to note that this law is not going into completely unchartered territory. If a owner of a company said it is too bad Hitler did finish not the job there would no controversy about defunding that company.

As far as the Christian Right agreeing with a lot of liberal zionist Jews, politics does make for strange bedfellows, often for nefarious reasons. Nothing new.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2024, 6:02 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
This is against the 1st amendment that guarantees our right to free speech.I am not going to listen to a government tell me what I can and can not say.

Well in that case it will be unenforceable. Criticise Israel all you want. If it goes to court, you'll win.

roronoa79 wrote:

The right loves curtailing free speech.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2024, 6:39 pm

interestingly that anyone might suppose that people whom engage our society through and or control mass media
assets , That may or maynot be of the Jewish faith ...would even vote anything but Republican....because of absolute Capitolistic business interests . Not that there is anything really going on here, other than trying to control the population through devisiveness,snd creating hysteria and antagonizing situations to effect this same ending , of creating devisiveness. .... So prople are not paying attn. to their rights being eroded ..
BTW: before all this hapoened, why wasn't there effective anti hate laws against Aspies and ND people very long ago , that should have been enforced . Long ago.... And people getting the same treatment as those committing fillicide
against these same ND people....ADA protections were never afforded me. When I was in court. Even after I called them

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2024, 9:30 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The government does not have endless money so it constantly is making decisions on who gets funded. Already it is mandatory that open discrimination does not get funded. This law expands the definition of discrimination to include saying Jews do not have a right to a state. Police and courts do not decide if the law has been broken and enforce this law, bureaucrats do.

The opponents of the law say it chills speech just as if a court sentenced you to prison or fined you for saying Jews do not have a right to self determination. Yes it does, that is the whole point of the law. If we accept this, we on a slippery slope to who knows what. Probably true.

The purpose of this post is to note that this law is not going into completely unchartered territory. If a owner of a company said it is too bad Hitler did finish not the job there would no controversy about defunding that company.

As far as the Christian Right agreeing with a lot of liberal zionist Jews, politics does make for strange bedfellows, often for nefarious reasons. Nothing new.

you're missing your own point.

Its not "the Christian Right agrees with zionist Jews who may or may not be liberal".

Its that anti Semites are allied to Jews...to support Zionism.

Which is an even a stranger alliance.

Though that actually isnt exactly "new" either. In the early days when Hitler was struggling to achieve power he was often allied to Zionist Jews too (they wanted to move out of Europe, and he and his Nazi follwers wanted Jews out of Europe too).