Page 9 of 13 [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 5:57 pm

Cathylynn:

I'd be interested to know:

Did your medical studies ever cause you to doubt your faith?

I'm not a religious person. I would place myself firmly in the agnostic/atheistic camp, in fact.

However, I don't argue religion--because religion is a matter of personal faith. There's really no proof "either way."

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 6:06 pm

white_as_snow wrote:

the trinity can be explanied like this: jesus was god before he came to earth, he was god when he was jesus also, but at the same time he was also a human, after the death he was god, but since that he has a body you can see and touch. he is jehova, he is called son becuse jesus before he died was also a human and not 100 % god aka the father. same person. god can to anything! even comming to earth as a human and still be god at the same time. god in human body is the perfect sacrifice, he died for all humans sins.

You are explaining the incarnation, not the trinity. Just to be clear, Jesus is God the Son and is not the same person as God the Father. That would be a Unitarian view, not a Trinitarian view.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 6:46 pm

Narrator wrote:
This is very different to having wide agreement by Catholic scholars, Jewish scholars, protestant scholars and secular scholars. You don't get wide agreement of that nature, between competing faculties, from an imagined idea.

Saying there is no evidence is only your assumption. I learned about this 39 years ago while studying theology, where I saw and read a decent chunk of the evidence.

The scholars also referenced older works, such as the Epic of Gilgamesh and other writings which go back several hundred years before the Torah was written, many of which influenced Biblical stories.

Some of the things written about in the Pentateuch refer to times and places that came after Moses lifetime. That's not imagination.

And finally, unlike the many who scoff at Bacon's Shakespeare, the only ones who scoff at this are fundamentalist Jews and fundamentalist Christians. The rest of Jewish, Christian and secular scholarship took their time accepting it, but they weighed the evidence and all agreed with it.

You still have no concrete evidence. You have someone's evaluation of a text and supposition of how and why and when it was written, with no external proof from the author or outside documents detailing how/why/when. You cannot prove that older stories "influenced" the Biblical stories. All you can do is say is that experts have assumed that the Pentateuch has been compiled from other sources and influenced by older stories, based on their own interpretations of how the text reads. Those interpretations are coming from a 21st century western viewpoint, not the viewpoint of an Ancient Hebrew.

The ancient Hebrews claimed that Moses wrote the Pentateuch. *This* is what we know for certain. You are saying that today's experts are saying that all of those experts at that time were wrong, though they lived much closer to the time of these writings. They had the same ability to examine the literary qualities of the scriptures, yes? And they were aware of other ancient stories and texts, yes? Yet they said Moses wrote the Pentateuch.

The idea that the OT stories come after older tales does not make sense on the grounds that stories get embellished over time, not simplified. "In the ancient near east, the rule is that simple accounts or traditions may give rise (by accretion and embellishment) to elaborate legends, but not vice versa. In the ancient Orient, legends were not simplified or turned into pseudo-history (historicized) as has been assumed for early Genesis." K.A. Kitchen in "Ancient Orient and the Old Testament"

Moses was a prophet, so it is believable that God revealed to him things about the future. It is also very possible that Moses compiled accounts that had been handed down, acting like an editor. That still makes the compilation his work. (I still would like to know what dating of the Exodus you hold to.)

Your argument that widespread agreement is "proof" of these theses is a fallacy of appealing to authority. It is quite possible for the majority to be wrong. It has happened many times in the past. Let us not forget the time when most thought the sun revolved around the earth, which was believed by both clergy and scientists of the time (widespread agreement), and those who disagreed were even excommunicated from the church.

I am not a fundamentalist. I am a conservative. There's a big difference. I also don't think my conservative Jewish friends would appreciate being called fundamentalist, either.

My husband (a pastor) has tried to explain further things to me regarding how the texts are set up, and at this point it gets a bit over my head since I have not studied this in as much detail as he has. So, from here on out I bow out of this discussion.

Thank-you for arguing civilly.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 7:58 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

the trinity can be explanied like this: jesus was god before he came to earth, he was god when he was jesus also, but at the same time he was also a human, after the death he was god, but since that he has a body you can see and touch. he is jehova, he is called son becuse jesus before he died was also a human and not 100 % god aka the father. same person. god can to anything! even comming to earth as a human and still be god at the same time. god in human body is the perfect sacrifice, he died for all humans sins.

You are explaining the incarnation, not the trinity. Just to be clear, Jesus is God the Son and is not the same person as God the Father. That would be a Unitarian view, not a Trinitarian view.

how can he not be the same person if god is one and jesus said that the he is the word and he was before abrahim and made the heavens and earth and he and the father is one? jesus also said that he was the ruler of earth and haven. there is only one god, and jesus was not a prophet, he was god in human flesh.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 8:13 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
how can he not be the same person if god is one and jesus said that the he is the word and he was before abrahim and made the heavens and earth and he and the father is one? jesus also said that he was the ruler of earth and haven. there is only one god, and jesus was not a prophet, he was god in human flesh.

Did we read completely different Bibles?

Where in the Bible did Jesus make all these claims?

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 8:47 pm

eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

So who is Jesus according to you?

Here you go: http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/jesusgd2.htm

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 9:03 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

We should treat anything in the New Testament written about Jesus as if Jesus said it himself? I don't think so.

Once again, I asked where in the Bible did Jesus make those claims. I did not ask where someone else made statements long those lines.

Let's make it simpler.

Where did Jesus claim to be "the ruler of heaven and earth"?

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 9:08 pm

Here is a copy of a post I made on another forum:

Quote:
I have a copy of the Koran, and I have read it. Perfectly honestly, my response was an overwhelming gratitude that I was not born into a Muslim culture.

Since then I have heard some of Muhammad's little sayings that sum up the ethos.

"Your women are your fields. You can plough them as you wish"

"If you are an anvil you must expect to be struck. If you are the hammer you can do the striking"

In my opinion, the whole thing is a diabolically inspired plagiarism of Judaism and Christianity designed to exploit brutality and concupiscence for his (Muhammad's) own narcissistic ends.

If there is anyone here genuinely interested in seeing Islam dissected look here:

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apo ... /index.htm

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm

eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

"Fear not; I am the first and the last:" Revelation 1:17

"Son, thy sins be forgiven thee." Mark 2:5

I and my Father are one. John 10:30

Jesus saith...he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? John 14:9

[A]ll men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. John 5:23

But unto the Son he [God] saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. Hebrews 1:8

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. John 8:58

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 9:20 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

Jesus saith...he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? John 14:9

[A]ll men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. John 5:23

But unto the Son he [God] saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. Hebrews 1:8

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. John 8:58

In which of those did he claim to be the ruler of heaven and earth?

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 9:26 pm

eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

Since he says that he is god, he is the ruler of earth and heaven.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 10:05 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

You are making an inference.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 7:32 am

white_as_snow wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

If you read Genesis 1 carefully, you will see it says "let us make man in our image." The members of the Trinity worked together. Same "blood line", same essence of being, same character qualities, but different persons. That is why I used the analogy of the Royal Family. The prince is just as much royalty as the king. This carries through many of the other Scriptures where the Father speaks of one day exalting the Son and making him ruler over all. The Father "stayed home" in Heaven, and the Son went forth into the land as an ambassador to the people and became like them in order to communicate with them better and restore their relationship to the royal family. The Holy Spirit is like the authority of the royal family. It is all powerful, is part of the essence of royalty, is in agreement with the royalty, and "does the work", but is not tangible.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 7:44 am

eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

You are making an inference.

A couple of things, here.

First, I don't think Jesus ever claimed to be "ruler of Heaven and earth" specifically (don't have time to read through all the Gospels right now), even though he did equate himself with God. He would never have claimed to have authority OVER his father, which would have been implied had he said he was "ruler of Heaven and earth."

Second, why does this particular phrase matter? Jesus equated himself with God, which white as snow made clear through the quotes. Also, his miracles showed that he had power over the natural world, and his temptation in the desert showed his power over Satan. One particular miracle, when he healed the paralyzed man who had been let down through the ceiling, was done to show that he had the power to forgive sins.

From Luke 5:

"21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to question, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?” 22 When Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answered them, “Why do you question in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise and walk’? 24 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins”—he said to the man who was paralyzed—“I say to you, rise, pick up your bed and go home.” 25 And immediately he rose up before them and picked up what he had been lying on and went home, glorifying God."

Jesus' miracles showed he had authority over both the natural and supernatural/spiritual realms.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 8:56 am

nerdygirl wrote:
You still have no concrete evidence. You have someone's evaluation of a text and supposition of how and why and when it was written, with no external proof from the author or outside documents detailing how/why/when.

As you don't seem to have tackled any of the links given, here's just one bit of concrete evidence from them.

At several points, particularly in Deuteronomy, the writer makes references to towns, events, and other things that occurred long after Moses' time.

nerdygirl wrote:
I am not a fundamentalist. I am a conservative. There's a big difference. I also don't think my conservative Jewish friends would appreciate being called fundamentalist, either.

I hoped I was quite clear in talking about the scholars who were in agreement, not lay people attending Bible study, and not pastors, ministers, priests etc, but scholars, people whose life's work is the study and discovery of history.

Oh... and as an aside, the theology I studied was under a Presbyterian tutor in 1975 - very conservative. And as I also said, the discussion has changed a lot since then but I have tried to stay current on it.

nerdygirl wrote:
Thank-you for arguing civilly.

That's ok. I'll bow out with you too. It's not the sort of thing anyone can get a full picture of overnight. And in a forum like this, it is difficult to do justice to something that took me months of study on this one topic.

Cheers :)

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 10:16 am

What would be interesting, in my estimation, is the ultimate result of any inquiry determining why Trinitarian Christianity, out of all the other Christian theologies, pantheistic religions, etc. of the time and thereafter, was able to acquire such a foothold in the hearts of the majority of European-descended people--and to continue this foothold 2,000 years later!

How this itinerant preacher, out of all the itinerant preachers of his time, was able to instigate this Juggernaut known as Christianity!

Christianity must have been doing something right! Forceful compulsion in Medieval days is not the only answer.

Note: I'm an agnostic/atheist.