Page 2 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 3:03 pm

PLA wrote:
That's quite an impressive prediction.

More of a report, I believe, of something foretold in earlier writings.

PLA wrote:
I certainly don't know enough about people to guess that some of them would eventually begin to doubt that an indefinitely postponed event will ever take place.

Where did you get the idea the destruction of evil had been postponed?

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2010, 5:06 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
This would seem to be applicable to the internet in particular. Peter predicted militant atheist internet trolls:

First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 2nd Peter 3:3-4 NIV

Agreed! Though it could be anywhere where people communicate together.

And also this: 2 Timothy 2:14-16
"14 Remind them (the faithful) of these things, and charge them before God [1] not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. 15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, [2] a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. 16 But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness..."

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 9:15 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
This would seem to be applicable to the internet in particular. Peter predicted militant atheist internet trolls:

First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 2nd Peter 3:3-4 NIV

0dayz can has scoffers. Dey sez "wer is ur Ceiling Cat? Ded kittehs bonse iz dryd up. Nufin not dryd up!" An sez "when can has coming?" 2nd Peter 3:3-4 LCB <--(clickable)

i was never a big fan of NIV.

it's as if this verse was written to combat the criticism of itself... an excellent strategy.

here, i'll try it out. i am going to eat the entire planet, someday, and no one will see it coming. one day, out of the blue, CHOMP! planet in tummy. now, people might scoff at this, following their own evil desires. they might say "when is he gonna eat the whole planet? it's been generations since this dude keeled over, there's no way he's gonna come back to life and eat the whole planet!"

...who wants to subscribe to my new religion? it's not too much more refutable than the rest.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 11:16 pm

waltur wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

0dayz can has scoffers. Dey sez "wer is ur Ceiling Cat? Ded kittehs bonse iz dryd up. Nufin not dryd up!" An sez "when can has coming?" 2nd Peter 3:3-4 LCB <--(clickable)

i was never a big fan of NIV.

it's as if this verse was written to combat the criticism of itself... an excellent strategy.

here, i'll try it out. i am going to eat the entire planet, someday, and no one will see it coming. one day, out of the blue, CHOMP! planet in tummy. now, people might scoff at this, following their own evil desires. they might say "when is he gonna eat the whole planet? it's been generations since this dude keeled over, there's no way he's gonna come back to life and eat the whole planet!"

...who wants to subscribe to my new religion? it's not too much more refutable than the rest.

I have an interstellar battlefleet in orbit. Please give me your longitude and latitude so that saturation bombardment may commence starting at your location.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 11:17 pm

Seriously though, the particular thing which people will mock and otherwise be willfully ignorant of is listed in the text of the scripture, namely the Creation account and the Flood.

Last edited by iamnotaparakeet on 08 Apr 2010, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 11:22 pm

Tetraquartz wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Agreed! Though it could be anywhere where people communicate together.

And also this: 2 Timothy 2:14-16
"14 Remind them (the faithful) of these things, and charge them before God [1] not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. 15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, [2] a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. 16 But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness..."

Yeah, the internet's only existed for a few decades, yet idle communication is ubiquitous even without computer monitors, keyboards, and networking systems.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 7:39 am

leejosepho wrote:
PLA wrote:
I certainly don't know enough about people to guess that some of them would eventually begin to doubt that an indefinitely postponed event will ever take place.

Quote:
They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.

I suppose I could have wildly misinterpreted "everything goes on as it has", though. Maybe it doesn't mean that everything goes on as it has.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 6:02 pm

PLA wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
PLA wrote:

Quote:
They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.

I suppose I could have wildly misinterpreted "everything goes on as it has", though. Maybe it doesn't mean that everything goes on as it has.

Ah, I see. I think the folks asking the question were simply saying they see no evidence suggesting anything will really ever change.

PrisonerZero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2010, 6:44 pm

I assume that I am the "troll" you speak of?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 6:52 pm

PrisonerZero wrote:

No, Sand has currently been the one ticking me off. I just didn't like your idea to "prohibit all religion (if possible)" in the dictator thread.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 8:26 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
PrisonerZero wrote:

No, Sand has currently been the one ticking me off. I just didn't like your idea to "prohibit all religion (if possible)" in the dictator thread.

Oh well... Sand has a right to his opinions, too. Besides, if it weren't for them, things wouldn't be very interesting for us. ;)

I actually accept it, though. These wannabe pseudo-intellectuals are adept at finding the "holes" in our faith, as they have been for decades. For those of us who manage to persist in holding on to our beliefs, these opinions only serve to help us examine our own beliefs. That works to strengthen us, not make us weaker.

I say take 'em on, any time, anywhere.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 8:36 am

AngelRho wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
PrisonerZero wrote:

Oh well... Sand has a right to his opinions, too. Besides, if it weren't for them, things wouldn't be very interesting for us. ;)

I actually accept it, though. These wannabe pseudo-intellectuals are adept at finding the "holes" in our faith, as they have been for decades. For those of us who manage to persist in holding on to our beliefs, these opinions only serve to help us examine our own beliefs. That works to strengthen us, not make us weaker.

That's a thought that needs encouraging. Show the doubters that the holes don't destroy the faith but make you question them and discover how the faith either justifies them or finds them irrelevant. But if they are real then they must be dealt with. That's all I request.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 9:27 am

Sand wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
PrisonerZero wrote:

That's a thought that needs encouraging. Show the doubters that the holes don't destroy the faith but make you question them and discover how the faith either justifies them or finds them irrelevant. But if they are real then they must be dealt with. That's all I request.

Finding holes in logic is one thing, but insinuated insults is entirely different. More of the former and not anymore of the latter, okay?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 9:35 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
PrisonerZero wrote:

Finding holes in logic is one thing, but insinuated insults is entirely different. More of the former and not anymore of the latter, okay?

Quote me an insult and I'll apologize if it is required.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 9:41 am

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
PrisonerZero wrote:

They are by implication, insult by insinuation, so just listing them wouldn't mean anything as you'd just explain them away or claim you meant something else.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 9:46 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
PrisonerZero wrote:

They are by implication, insult by insinuation, so just listing them wouldn't mean anything as you'd just explain them away or claim you meant something else.

Put up or shut up.