Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 9:23 am

Quote:
There is one group today which is experiencing more persecution worldwide than any other group. And at the same time this seems to be one of the most ignored stories by the mainstream media. If you had only the MSM to rely on, you would for the most part not even be aware of all this.

Yet this global persecution of Christians needs to be made widely known. This website regularly reports on anti-Christian bigotry and persecution in the West, but here I want to look more specifically at the non-Western world, and highlight these constant and horrific acts of persecution.

Meh, it is standard practice to blame the "Mainstream Media" for not providing sufficient coverage for various issues, or for not playing to particular sets of biases.

Sending reporters to various parts of the world is expensive. A lot of news media companies can't afford it any more. Plus, most consumers of mainstream news really aren't interested in anything beyond the football scores. Also, the news media companies have to be very careful not to offend the sensitivities of their advertisers.

There was some brief coverage of the violence against Coptic Christians in Egypt, against Iraqi Christians (who had been protected by Mr. Hussein), the wars involving Maronite Christians in Lebanon, and maybe a tad bit of coverage of Palestinian Christians.

If you want better news coverage, then tune in to NPR or BBC. But then, it will be "Waaahhh!! ! They're presenting both sides of the issues!! ! Therefore, they are biased against Conservative Christian Values!! !!"

Given that a lot of Christians wish to cultivate a persecution complex, given passages such as

John 15 wrote:
If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you... If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you... because they do not know Him who sent Me.

and
Matthew 5 wrote:
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven.

one might anticipate a demand for coverage of Christians being persecuted around the world.

However, if the beliefs of Coptics, Maronites, Assyrian Orthodox, and other Christians were examined closely, then American Evango-Fascists might find that these denominations were even more removed from their beliefs than the beliefs of Roman Catholics, and conclude that these Christians had no better chance of getting into Heaven than members of the Anglican Church. Then, this segment of of American viewers would lose interest, and the news organization would go out of business.

Matthew 5 wrote:
love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 10:45 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Why is it that every single basement dueller who claims to be discriminated about the MSM ignoring the real truth provides actually no evidence for his claims other than this massive conspiracy theory about evil MSM?

Quote:
And Muslim nations are among the main sources of this global persecution of the church. “The recent Muslim attacks on Egypt’s Christian Copts caused the military to intervene against the Christians, killing dozens of them, which action the military government then blamed on the ‘inexperience’ of the soldiers involved. (Unlimited experience is not required to foretell the consequences of firing automatic weapons and rifles at unarmed demonstrators at point-blank range.)

Curse those Satanistic atheist Muslims!

---

I will not argue with the fact that Christians are the pansies who feel the most persecuted. The bible puts value on feeling martyred rather than on being proactive. A persecuted Christian is a happy Christian.

I rather think the Bible warns Christians of what can happen to them because of what they believe. Yes, the Bible places noble value on those who are persecuted, but it doesn't necessarily follow that persecution is essential to Christianity. I personally think that if you're NEVER criticized or ridiculed for your faith, you might want to consider which side you're actually on. For the most part, however, I've rarely gotten any outright animosity towards me from many people here. I think more people than not display some semblance of decency towards people of all beliefs, agree or not. But that's not to say it NEVER happens, either.

In a sense, the largely accepting attitudes we tend to see have largely weakened Christianity more than it has strengthened it. The ultimate test of faith is keeping that faith in the face of death. Because western society values the freedom to choose how to worship God as one wishes and because there isn't an established religion anybody has to adhere to, death is not something Christians regularly have to face as a faith challenge. It is then therefore comfortable and convenient to just go along with what everyone else is doing when they go to church. That's good for winning converts; bad for making BELIEVERS. All that has to happen is for professing Christians to abandon their faith is to learn about some alternative that their non-Christian friends are into and for Christianity to become unfashionable. All you have to do in order to find out who the real Christians are is make them all believe they are about to die if they do not renounce their faith and see how many are left at the end of the day with the guns still pointed at their heads.

The first Christian churches would accept new members but not baptize them for as much as a year later. Baptism was a very public display and would mark the participant for death. The year-long waiting period was a test not just of the proselyte's faith but to be sure he understood what it all meant. That way, you'd have a chance to drop out without facing persecution. A baptized convert could assure his church he would not back down in the face of opposition to the point of death. And stronger believers make a stronger church.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 10:47 am

Actually, I think that the best source of worldwide news, including coverage of Christian minorities, is Aljazeera.

Of course, the story line isn't always going to be "Waaahhh!! ! Moslems are persecuting Christians!! ! We have to go and conquer those Moslems!! !" You're free to form your own conclusions.

If you go to their website, and search on the word "Christian", then you get a wide variety of stories.

http://www.aljazeera.com/Services/Search/?q=christian

DC
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 11:34 am

It would be nice if certain people in PPR could get some enlightenment.

Persecution is a word that can be applied to the systematic discrimination, murder and the burning down of churches.

Persecution is not a word that can be applied when an atheist points out that all the evidence contradicts your assertions.
Persecution is not a word that can be applied when you make the same assertions five minutes later, only to find you still have no evidence.
Persecution is not a word that can be applied when you carry on doing this for 150 years.

:wink:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:02 pm

DC wrote:
It would be nice if certain people in PPR could get some enlightenment.

Persecution is a word that can be applied to the systematic discrimination, murder and the burning down of churches.

Persecution is not a word that can be applied when an atheist points out that all the evidence contradicts your assertions.
Persecution is not a word that can be applied when you make the same assertions five minutes later, only to find you still have no evidence.
Persecution is not a word that can be applied when you carry on doing this for 150 years.

:wink:

+1

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:03 pm

especially in a world that has received far more christian "kindness" than it deserved,
respect is lost and earned through actions and intentions, the very fact the papal inquisition still exists speaks volumes.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:06 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You're holding a grudge against people for offenses committed by their ancestors? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that like Medieval Christians holding the death of Christ against Jews of their time? None of these people ever persecuted you or any Jews or Muslims. Whether you have any love for Christianity itself isn't the point - the point is, these are innocent people who are being hurt simply because others hate them, and no other reason. I sort of thought maybe because of your particular background, you might show a little sympathy.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Schadenfreude is holding a grudge raised to its highest form.

I am the last person in the world to show sympathy or compassion. They are sick forms of sentimentality. Justice before mercy. Truth before compassion.

ruveyn

Then extend a sense of justice to the oppressed Christian minorities who never did you any wrong.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:27 pm

Sounds like they really never got over that whole crusades / holy land stuff. Both groups loved to play that game at one time. Meanwhile christian missionaries and pastors helped to advise Uganda in crafting a bill making homosexuality illegal and punishable by death.

The golden rule part two: Kiss up, kick down.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:31 pm

simon_says wrote:
Sounds like they really never got over that whole crusades / holy land stuff. Both groups loved to play that game at one time.

Meanwhile christian missionaries and pastors helped to advise Uganda in crafting a bill making homosexuality illegal and punishable by death.

Actually, it was the shadowy American evangelical group called The Family, which has its tentacles deep within government, which was responsible for the Ugandan travesty.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:37 pm

AngelRho wrote:
The first Christian churches would accept new members but not baptize them for as much as a year later. Baptism was a very public display and would mark the participant for death. The year-long waiting period was a test not just of the proselyte's faith but to be sure he understood what it all meant. That way, you'd have a chance to drop out without facing persecution. A baptized convert could assure his church he would not back down in the face of opposition to the point of death. And stronger believers make a stronger church.

:roll: Have you ever read The Acts of the Apostles? People are being baptized right and left.

Acts 8 wrote:
An angel of the Lord said to Philip, "Get ready and go south[b] to the road that goes from Jerusalem to Gaza." (This road is not used nowadays.) So Philip got ready and went. Now an Ethiopian eunuch, who was an important official in charge of the treasury of the queen of Ethiopia, was on his way home. He had been to Jerusalem to worship God and was going back home in his carriage. As he rode along, he was reading from the book of the prophet Isaiah.

The Holy Spirit said to Philip, "Go over to that carriage and stay close to it."

Philip ran over and heard him reading fromthe book of the prophet Isaiah. He asked him, " Do you understand what you are reading?"

The official replied, "How can I understand unless someone explains it to me"? And he invited Philip to climb up and sit in the carriage with him.

The passage of scripture which he was reading was this:

Quote:

He was like a sheep that is taken to be slaughtered,
like a lamb that makes no sound when its wool is cut off.
He did not say a word.
He was humiliated, and justice was denied him.
No one will be able to tell about his descendants,
because his life on earth has come to an end.

The official asked Philip, "Tell me, of whom is the prophet saying this? Of himself or of someone else?" Then Philip began to speak; starting from this passage of scripture, he told him the Good News about Jesus. As they traveled down the road, they came to a place where there was some water, and the official said, "Here is some water. What is to keep me from being baptized?"

The official ordered the carriage to stop, and both Philip and the official went down into the water, and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord took Philip away. The official did not see him again, but continued on his way, full of joy.40 Philip found himself in Azotus; he went on to Caesarea, and on the way he preached the Good News in every town.

The baptism occurred at that very moment--not one year later.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:52 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
................. delete most of the wailing and the whining .............................
Quite right. If the secular left MSM is reluctant to cover this vitally important story, then I for one will cover it. We need to get the word out about our suffering brothers and sisters around the globe. There are many things we can be doing on their behalf, but at the very least, we all should be regularly praying for them.

www.nationalreview.com/articles/290498/ ... nrad-black

www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/02/ ... world.html

Payback for the Crusades.

Revenge is a b*tch. And so is schadenfreude. Which is why I will shed no tears for Christians.

ruveyn

You're holding a grudge against people for offenses committed by their ancestors? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that like Medieval Christians holding the death of Christ against Jews of their time? None of these people ever persecuted you or any Jews or Muslims. Whether you have any love for Christianity itself isn't the point - the point is, these are innocent people who are being hurt simply because others hate them, and no other reason. I sort of thought maybe because of your particular background, you might show a little sympathy.

Why have sympathy for an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory?

"Unsubstantiated conspiracy theory?"

Jesus Christ! Was it really that hard to fix up the f*cked up quote? Three replies in a row and nobody thought it necessary!

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 2:18 pm

A side that sees any form of disagreement as a 'personal attack' doesn't get alot of sympathy from me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 2:32 pm

pandabear wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

:roll: Have you ever read The Acts of the Apostles? People are being baptized right and left.

Acts 8 wrote:
An angel of the Lord said to Philip, "Get ready and go south[b] to the road that goes from Jerusalem to Gaza." (This road is not used nowadays.) So Philip got ready and went. Now an Ethiopian eunuch, who was an important official in charge of the treasury of the queen of Ethiopia, was on his way home. He had been to Jerusalem to worship God and was going back home in his carriage. As he rode along, he was reading from the book of the prophet Isaiah.

The Holy Spirit said to Philip, "Go over to that carriage and stay close to it."

Philip ran over and heard him reading fromthe book of the prophet Isaiah. He asked him, " Do you understand what you are reading?"

The official replied, "How can I understand unless someone explains it to me"? And he invited Philip to climb up and sit in the carriage with him.

The passage of scripture which he was reading was this:

Quote:

He was like a sheep that is taken to be slaughtered,
like a lamb that makes no sound when its wool is cut off.
He did not say a word.
He was humiliated, and justice was denied him.
No one will be able to tell about his descendants,
because his life on earth has come to an end.

The official asked Philip, "Tell me, of whom is the prophet saying this? Of himself or of someone else?" Then Philip began to speak; starting from this passage of scripture, he told him the Good News about Jesus. As they traveled down the road, they came to a place where there was some water, and the official said, "Here is some water. What is to keep me from being baptized?"

The official ordered the carriage to stop, and both Philip and the official went down into the water, and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord took Philip away. The official did not see him again, but continued on his way, full of joy.40 Philip found himself in Azotus; he went on to Caesarea, and on the way he preached the Good News in every town.

The baptism occurred at that very moment--not one year later.

Exactly. And as whole families and even their slaves were baptized, it's very possible that infant baptism was already being practiced.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
................. delete most of the wailing and the whining .............................
Quite right. If the secular left MSM is reluctant to cover this vitally important story, then I for one will cover it. We need to get the word out about our suffering brothers and sisters around the globe. There are many things we can be doing on their behalf, but at the very least, we all should be regularly praying for them.

www.nationalreview.com/articles/290498/ ... nrad-black

www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/02/ ... world.html

Payback for the Crusades.

Revenge is a b*tch. And so is schadenfreude. Which is why I will shed no tears for Christians.

ruveyn

Why have sympathy for an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory?

"Unsubstantiated conspiracy theory?"

Jesus Christ! Was it really that hard to fix up the f*cked up quote? Three replies in a row and nobody thought it necessary!

My only response can be: :?:.
I guess I'm just dull not to divine a direct answer to my question.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 2:42 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
A side that sees any form of disagreement as a 'personal attack' doesn't get alot of sympathy from me.

Disagreement is not a personal attack. I don't mind disagreement or civil argumentation, but making up crap about me and so forth is a personal attack. But even the actions of the losers on I^2 pales in comparison to what is happening to fellow Christians throughout this blood stained world.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 3:28 pm

pandabear wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Yes, but that was before persecution became so widespread. The more established churches in larger cities outside Jerusalem and Judea would have had a greater cause for concern. At least the Jews figured out early on that the acts of persecution they committed against Stephen and his contemporaries appeared to only fuel the movement.