Page 2 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 8:15 pm

my state took the first step in this, just passed a law that automatically registered everyone to vote.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm

sly279 wrote:
my state took the first step in this, just passed a law that automatically registered everyone to vote.

What state do you reside in?

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 8:36 pm

I think people should decide for themselves whether to vote or not. If it is forced on people it could lead to them voting for silly or extremist parties out of spite.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 9:22 pm

Fugu wrote:
if by underrepresented bumpkins, you mean poor people marginalised by the right and the left, yes.

I have a very different take on helping people vote who want to but have challenged mobility and access from what I have on people who don't know and don't care having their arm twisted to do so. In the later case I really question whether it bodes well for our political process.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 9:23 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:

oregon.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 10:25 pm

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:

oregon.

Ah, my own Washington state's twin to the south. :lol: I actually heard Rachel Maddow discussing this very matter the other night.
For myself, it's not a good idea to shove voting into the faces of people who don't want it, but I have absolutely no problem making all adult residents automatically registered voters (within the limits of common sense, of course, with consideration for mental defect, criminal conviction, and the like).

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 12:28 am

I vote for myself and offer a better healthcare than the Obamacare plan and Legalize Marijuana for recreational use and make the US Mexico Border a DMZ!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 1:48 am

That's fine. I'm voting for Popeye though and I'd like some compensation for my time - perhaps a dollar or a free slice of pizza.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 2:00 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:

oregon.

Ah, my own Washington state's twin to the south. :lol: I actually heard Rachel Maddow discussing this very matter the other night.
For myself, it's not a good idea to shove voting into the faces of people who don't want it, but I have absolutely no problem making all adult residents automatically registered voters (within the limits of common sense, of course, with consideration for mental defect, criminal conviction, and the like).

and if they don't want to be registered, tracked, and sent stuff?
also i wonder does which party does it register them to?

i vote i think its right to do, but i don't believe in forcing people. if they wanted to register they would, ever where you go theres democrats asking people to register, gov workers required to ask people to register, students going class to class asking who classes to register(taking 10-15 mins out of time meant for learning) yet those people keep saying no no no no no, so rather than listen to them and abide by their wishes they going to look up their infor and register them without asking. wheres the freedom?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 2:09 am

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:

oregon.

i vote i think its right to do, but i don't believe in forcing people. if they wanted to register they would, ever where you go theres democrats asking people to register, gov workers required to ask people to register, students going class to class asking who classes to register(taking 10-15 mins out of time meant for learning) yet those people keep saying no no no no no, so rather than listen to them and abide by their wishes they going to look up their infor and register them without asking. wheres the freedom?

Well, they wouldn't have to vote if they didn't want to. But there would always be that right.
Also, registering everyone would be the surest means of defusing any accusations of voter suppression.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 9:44 am

Fnord wrote:
I say, "Let's have compulsory voting", and watch all of the slackers and traitors move to Australia or Brazil and we'll be rid of them, once and for all!

That wouldn't be a wise choice of places to move since both countries have compulsory voting.

Speaking of which, we need the PPR Australians to come to this thread to give local perspective. Narrator, DentArthurDent,Oldavid, what say you about compulsory voting?

I personally think it's a bad idea- agreeing with reasons already given in thread.

Cons:
against individual liberty
uneccesary criminalizes people
compulsory rather than voluntary votes are unlikely to add anything positive to the election since they will probably consist of jokes, angry write-ins and other protest votes, or people just voting for whoever has the loudest commercial because they want to get the annoyance over with and that's the only name that pops into their mind

Pros:
only one that I can think of, the one Obama gave in that it makes it impossible (or at least considerably harder) to affect outcomes by keeping some people away from the polls.
I personally don't think that's enough of a positive to come anywhere near outweighing the negatives.
He gave Australia as a positive example of where this works well so I am interested to hear from Australian posters.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 10:02 am

sly279 wrote:
Then make voter registration automatic when issued a driver's license.
sly279 wrote:
Good question. Here in Cali, I'm registered under "No Political Affiliation", and we have an open-primary system, as well. Add mail-in ballots, and you could get all of your voting done in the time that it takes for the teakettle to come to a boil.
sly279 wrote:
they going to look up their infor and register them without asking. wheres the freedom?
Freedom? What a freaking concept! Welcome to the 21st century, kid!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 6:08 pm

that's how they are doing it. so those who don't want to register just have to give up driving, buying anything that requires you to be over 18, going to doctors, everything else that needs id?

closed parties here.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 6:19 pm

Hm…, wouldn’t people hate whoever forces them to vote? Wouldn’t they vote against that person as a result? I can’t see why any particular politician would want to make that move :?:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 6:26 pm

Only if such a plan would include a "Two Minutes Hate." After all, we might as well fully embrace Orwell if we shift to mandatory elections.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 8:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:

oregon.

Well, they wouldn't have to vote if they didn't want to. But there would always be that right.
Also, registering everyone would be the surest means of defusing any accusations of voter suppression.

Or just doing away with registering at all. In the Netherlands they just send everyone an invitation to vote, you show that card and they let you vote. I guess in a way that is the same as registering everyone though. I mean, the gov already knows who have the right to vote based on their database of citizens.