Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 3:42 pm

AngelRho wrote:
pandabear wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
The first Christian churches would accept new members but not baptize them for as much as a year later. Baptism was a very public display and would mark the participant for death. The year-long waiting period was a test not just of the proselyte's faith but to be sure he understood what it all meant. That way, you'd have a chance to drop out without facing persecution. A baptized convert could assure his church he would not back down in the face of opposition to the point of death. And stronger believers make a stronger church.

:roll: Have you ever read The Acts of the Apostles? People are being baptized right and left.

Yes, but that was before persecution became so widespread. The more established churches in larger cities outside Jerusalem and Judea would have had a greater cause for concern. At least the Jews figured out early on that the acts of persecution they committed against Stephen and his contemporaries appeared to only fuel the movement.

Do you have any references to back up your assertions?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 4:27 pm

pandabear wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
pandabear wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
The first Christian churches would accept new members but not baptize them for as much as a year later. Baptism was a very public display and would mark the participant for death. The year-long waiting period was a test not just of the proselyte's faith but to be sure he understood what it all meant. That way, you'd have a chance to drop out without facing persecution. A baptized convert could assure his church he would not back down in the face of opposition to the point of death. And stronger believers make a stronger church.

:roll: Have you ever read The Acts of the Apostles? People are being baptized right and left.

Yes, but that was before persecution became so widespread. The more established churches in larger cities outside Jerusalem and Judea would have had a greater cause for concern. At least the Jews figured out early on that the acts of persecution they committed against Stephen and his contemporaries appeared to only fuel the movement.

I've heard that said before. Here's the first online source I could find, but I'll try find a better reference if I can.

http://www.christian-history.org/baptism.html

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2012, 4:42 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
LiendaBalla wrote:
A side that sees any form of disagreement as a 'personal attack' doesn't get alot of sympathy from me.

Disagreement is not a personal attack. I don't mind disagreement or civil argumentation...
With that said, respond to my propositions in a rational way and then we can see who is right; after all, if you are so sure that there is a global anti-Christian conspiracy, then you are sure to win, so why shy away?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 5:06 pm

Newt Gingrich likes to accuse President Obama of "being at war with Christians" because of the requirement for health insurance providers to cover contraception.

And, here is a classic example of a failed attempt to smear President Obama

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2011/ ... christians

Quote:
Obama Invades Uganda, Targets Christians

...Now, up until today, most Americans have never heard of the combat Lord's Resistance Army. And here we are at war with them. Have you ever heard of Lord's Resistance Army, Dawn? How about you, Brian? Snerdley, have you? You never heard of Lord's Resistance Army? Well, proves my contention, most Americans have never heard of it, and here we are at war with them. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. It means God. I was only kidding. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them. That's what the lingo means, "to help regional forces remove from the battlefield," meaning capture or kill.

So that's a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan, Uganda, and -- (interruption) no, I'm not kidding. Jacob Tapper just reported it. Now, are we gonna help the Egyptians wipe out the Christians? Wouldn't you say that we are? I mean the Coptic Christians are being wiped out, but it wasn't just Obama that supported that....

Of course, very few people who find that article are going to bother reading to the bottom

Quote:
...Is that right? The Lord's Resistance Army is being accused of really bad stuff? Child kidnapping, torture, murder, that kind of stuff? Well, we just found out about this today. We're gonna do, of course, our due diligence research on it. But nevertheless we got a hundred troops being sent over there to fight these guys -- and they claim to be Christians.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 6:23 pm

pandabear wrote:
Newt Gingrich likes to accuse President Obama of "being at war with Christians" because of the requirement for health insurance providers to cover contraception.

Quote:
Obama Invades Uganda, Targets Christians

...Now, up until today, most Americans have never heard of the combat Lord's Resistance Army. And here we are at war with them. Have you ever heard of Lord's Resistance Army, Dawn? How about you, Brian? Snerdley, have you? You never heard of Lord's Resistance Army? Well, proves my contention, most Americans have never heard of it, and here we are at war with them. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. It means God. I was only kidding. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them. That's what the lingo means, "to help regional forces remove from the battlefield," meaning capture or kill.

So that's a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan, Uganda, and -- (interruption) no, I'm not kidding. Jacob Tapper just reported it. Now, are we gonna help the Egyptians wipe out the Christians? Wouldn't you say that we are? I mean the Coptic Christians are being wiped out, but it wasn't just Obama that supported that....

Of course, very few people who find that article are going to bother reading to the bottom

Quote:
...Is that right? The Lord's Resistance Army is being accused of really bad stuff? Child kidnapping, torture, murder, that kind of stuff? Well, we just found out about this today. We're gonna do, of course, our due diligence research on it. But nevertheless we got a hundred troops being sent over there to fight these guys -- and they claim to be Christians.

And Limbaugh shoves his head up his ass again!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2012, 6:37 pm

pandabear wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
pandabear wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

+1

DC
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

pandabear wrote:

Foooooook!

Are Americans really so self absorbed that they haven't heard of the LRA?!

I really can't believe even some like Limbaugh would ever in a million years attempt to claim solidarity with this group, they make Stalin and Hitler look like saintly benevolent leaders by comparison.

Fooooook in el!

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

DC wrote:
pandabear wrote:

Foooooook!

I really can't believe even some like Limbaugh would ever in a million years attempt to claim solidarity with this group, they make Stalin and Hitler look like saintly benevolent leaders by comparison.

Fooooook in el!

:lol: the worst part: that topic (LRA/Limbaugh) came up and a few Christians here defended them...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 7:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Then extend a sense of justice to the oppressed Christian minorities who never did you any wrong.

What have they done for me lately? Let them look after themselves as best they can. I will not interfere.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 8:35 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Then extend a sense of justice to the oppressed Christian minorities who never did you any wrong.

What have they done for me lately? Let them look after themselves as best they can. I will not interfere.

ruveyn

Would you prefer they take that attitude toward you?
Your can take that question as rhetorical, as I know your answer. :lol:

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 8:52 pm

Vigilans wrote:
DC wrote:
pandabear wrote:

Foooooook!

Fooooook in el!

:lol: the worst part: that topic (LRA/Limbaugh) came up and a few Christians here defended them...

Yep. Here is the previous discussion: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt178038.html

And, yes, Americans really are so self-absorbed that they haven't heard of the LRA.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 8:59 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

Would you prefer they take that attitude toward you?
Your can take that question as rhetorical, as I know your answer. :lol:

I do not expect anyone to put themselves out for my sake. I do not live for the sake of others and I do not expect others to live for mine.

ruveyn

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 9:27 pm

AngelRho wrote:

It's interesting you note that Jews that persecuted Christians are still Jews :?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 10:24 pm

How did the Jewish persecution against Stephen "fuel the movement?"

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm

I think that what Christians are realizing (and what they are uncomfortable with) is the fact that people are choosing to believe what they want to believe, since they have a right to do so.

What they aren't realizing is that their Constitutional rights aren't being taking away on the basis of their religion, as their rhetoric implicitly suggests. Also, here is no evidence in support of the idea that they are being discriminated against (let's say, in the employment world) on the basis of their religion any more than are people of certain races, sexual orientations, non-Christian religions, etc. Because if they were (and if they could prove it), they could take it to court and win. But they're not. And deep down, they know it.

And as for the press? The press, needing readership and/or viewership, is going to cover whatever their readership or viewership indicates an interest in knowing about. Which, most of the time, does not include non-secular topics of Christian interest. Most readers and viewers are not interested in coverage of Christian topics.

Last edited by Magdalena on 09 Feb 2012, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 10:48 pm

pandabear wrote:
How did the Jewish persecution against Stephen "fuel the movement?"

Martyrdom can do wonders in making a movement grow by leaps and bounds.

Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer