Page 3 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 4:53 am

I don't necessarily think it's wrong because it's a part of nature and just about everything out there will eat another living thing, but I'd like to think to some extent that the way humans manufacture and farm animals for food is inhumane and wrong.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 5:08 am

I will continue to eat poultry fish beef and yes PORK dont like it? Tood bad I will continue to eat pork hahahha!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:06 am

886 wrote:
I don't necessarily think it's wrong because it's a part of nature and just about everything out there will eat another living thing, but I'd like to think to some extent that the way humans manufacture and farm animals for food is inhumane and wrong.

Selective breeding of animals for food has been going on since the Neolithic. I seriously doubt anyone wants to go back to a hunter/gatherer way of life.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:46 am

I am an animal lover. Some of my earliest memories include bottle feeding orphan lambs, giving them pet names, keeping sick ones inside under a infrared lamp etc. and all this would end when they were sent off to be slaughtered. It deeply upset me, and felt wrong in every way possible, I still don't eat lamb, I can't. I eat everything else though, mostly white meat and fish. The nutritional content available in animal produce provides nutrients (e.g. Vitamin B12) that humans need to function effectively.

I think I partially understand your views on this Pizzagal.
Have you researched a Buddhist approach to eating meat? Some sub sects have similar views on this to yours, however there are also similar arguments about killing plant life like what SignofLazarus has mentioned.
The mass production of animals specifically for our food chain is not going to change, there is an established and growing global supply and demand. If these animals live a comfortable life, experience a semi natural environment (eg partial grass diet), and die in a peaceful manner, that is a good outcome from my perspective.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:13 am

Temple Grandin goes into great detail regarding humane food animal treatment on her web site:

http://www.grandin.com/

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:21 am

jwfess wrote:
Animals have no concept of acceptance. They have pitifully weak and small brains. They are too dumb to come close to understanding you, even though people do occasionally assume that animals have the capacity for human thought and emotion.

Strangely enough this also applies to humans. :wink:

Humans just do what animals do, they just use another way of achieving it. And since there's more of us, everything's done on a mass scale i.e. wars and killing animals.

I will mention, though...how barbaric it is to see animals' genitals being cut off while they're completely alive, and awake, without any painkillers. That is disgusting, and unacceptable. If you're going to raise and eat an animal, at least not make it suffer, or live a life without organs.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 8:00 am

Amity wrote:
If these animals live a comfortable life, experience a semi natural environment (eg partial grass diet), and die in a peaceful manner, that is a good outcome from my perspective.

http://earthlings.com

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 10:15 am

ominous wrote:
Amity wrote:
If these animals live a comfortable life, experience a semi natural environment (eg partial grass diet), and die in a peaceful manner, that is a good outcome from my perspective.

Seems interesting, footage like that doesn't usually make it into mainstream media.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 10:19 am

I agree with that. Animals need space to hang out and play. They need to live a happy life.

Sometimes, I wish I didn't have that appetite for meat. I don't like the idea of killing animals.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 4:49 pm

Amity wrote:
ominous wrote:
Amity wrote:

Seems interesting, footage like that doesn't usually make it into mainstream media.

It sure doesn't. The film is free to watch, although quite distressing I think it's important to know where our food comes from.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 5:53 pm

ominous wrote:
It sure doesn't. The film is free to watch, although quite distressing I think it's important to know where our food comes from.
Coming from an agricultural background, the food-chain animal cycle of life and death is something I accepted at a young age. It wont change, but there is always room for improvement with regard to animal rights.
Re: 2014 "Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine Simon Coveney said over the past five years agri-food exports grew at a rate ten times that of normal merchandise exports, making it “the most important part of our economy.” 'Every parish in this country has a stake or a dividend in this growth'"
In Ireland the farming approach is grass fed in summer months, in slatted sheds on silage and hay etc. in the winter months, it is better than the mass produce ethos (e.g. America). As an export led economy, it will only increase here, significantly, Ireland exported €520 million of food and drink to China last year.
"Overall, the value of exports to Asia jumped 45 per cent to reach €850 million. There were also increases in exports to North America (€740 million, +18 per cent), the Middle East (€330 million, +11 per cent) and Africa (€610 million, +9 per cent)" http://www.irishtimes.com/business/agri ... -1.2065421

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 5:59 pm

I agree with that, Amity. I also tend to think humans are rather sickening. If I were living 'out bush' I would likely hunt/kill my own food. If I were living on a rural property, though, I don't know if I would necessarily raise my own meat to eat. I am not comfortable with the prospect, and will personally only eat meat if I have no other options. I am currently transitioning out of using dairy products as well, because of what we do with bobby calves. I think a lot of our 'food' practices are barbaric, not to mention environmentally unsustainable.

I'm not naive enough to believe what I do personally has any lasting affect on the environment, but I do believe that a lot of individuals coming together can.

This is also important to consider: http://science.time.com/2013/12/16/the- ... roduction/

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:16 pm

“Cattle and poultry can be walking banks in the developing world,” Worth on average 1000 Euros (cattle) per head here. It's all economics.
Unless I was desperate, I could not rear an animal for food. Re, my inability to eat lamb, when I was 5 my mum served lamb chops a week after 'Frisky' the pet lamb went 'away', half way through the meal I became curious about lamb chops, she answered with direct honesty and I stopped eating lamb permanently. It seemed like a barbaric thing to do to a pet.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:57 pm

its a part of life. would one rather see millions or billions of people starve?

i love animals, but there is a difference between farm animals and pets. I would love to see some treated better but one also has to be realistic. given each chicken 25 feet by 25 feet space when also trying to feed billions of people doesn't' seem realistic. space is limited and getting more so with more populations. heck I don't even have 25 by 25 feet room and many humans have less space than me.

as for humans being mean one can learn about the holocaust to see that. I can't be cruel to animals. I would kill them if I couldn't get meat from the store though. I prefer them to go fast and peacefully with no torment. I know others who don't think that way though.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:01 pm

sly279 wrote:
its a part of life. would one rather see millions or billions of people starve?

That's not a sound correlation.

http://www.earthoria.com/global-hunger- ... -feed.html

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:07 pm

but then people b***h about the genetic plants and how they bad, we need to do organic only blah blah, way it is we either need to do genetic plants and more cattle/clone meat or start killing off more people. vegetarian diet isn't as healthy as other diets. and while north korea might survive on mostly rice that doesn't mean it's healthy.

if one can not eat meat and live then do it, but others can't there isn't a one size fits all thing. I hardly eat any veggies, if I was mad to not eat any meat or products from animals I'd starve to death. vegan is a rich person thing. funny that the vegan restaurants can't survive alone on vegan stuff so they also serve meat here.

we can't go back to how it was in medieval times where everyone had their own garden and farm. population is too high now.