Page 22 of 27 [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I don't fully agree with either one, but if I had to choose, I'd go for the Tea Party.

Is there a reason or just because?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 12:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
I don't fully agree with either one, but if I had to choose, I'd go for the Tea Party.

As I'm sure you're already aware, it's because I support capitalism.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:02 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Well I suppose that works....but what has the tea party done to actually make things better or make people aware of the problems in this country?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:05 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Well I suppose that works....but what has the tea party done to actually make things better or make people aware of the problems in this country?

Promoted capitalism.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:35 pm

What I don't get is these banks get this 7 trillion dollar bailout and then these bankers call us thieves when we apply for food stamps.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Promoted capitalism.

Well as far as I can tell capitalism fails to adress the needs of the people, so I would not say supporting captialism is the same as putting effort into trying to make things better and educate people on the problems going on

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Well as far as I can tell capitalism fails to adress the needs of the people, so I would not say supporting captialism is the same as putting effort into trying to make things better and educate people on the problems going on

The system of food production in the U.S. is primarily market based. When was the last time there was mass starvation in the U.S.?

ruveyn

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:51 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
What I don't get is these banks get this 7 trillion dollar bailout and then these bankers call us thieves when we apply for food stamps.

Yes my retired Navy SEAL friend is a thief because he uses food stamps to buy food, because he cannot work due to injuries and therefore has to depend on money his sister and mom give him for helping them out, food stamps and SSDI payments.

What a thief :roll: .......its easy to say that when you don't personally know someone who needs that sort of financial help.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The system of food production in the U.S. is primarily market based. When was the last time there was mass starvation in the U.S.?

ruveyn

Well i think people were struggling to eat during the great depression, but I did not say anything about mass starvation, just that capitalism tends to fail to meet the needs of the people, as it is based on competition and self intrest rather than community and trying to ensure everyone has their needs met.

and regardless of if you would like to belive it or not its not impossible to starve to death in the U.S, not as common in some poorer countries but yes it does happen.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Well i think people were struggling to eat during the great depression, but I did not say anything about mass starvation, just that capitalism tends to fail to meet the needs of the people, as it is based on competition and self intrest rather than community and trying to ensure everyone has their needs met.

There were free bread lines and soup kitchens all over the United States. No one starved. But people had to swallow their pride along with the free bread.

ruveyn

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:57 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

There were free bread lines and soup kitchens all over the United States. No one starved. But people had to swallow their pride along with the free bread.

ruveyn

I really doubt not a single person starved during that.......but if not a single person did can you prove it? And why would swallowing pride be required to get food I would not be all that ashamed if I had to go to a soup kitchen or bread line as everyone needs to eat and if you cant afford food you accept what you can get.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

ruveyn

I really doubt not a single person starved during that.......but if not a single person did can you prove it? And why would swallowing pride be required to get food I would not be all that ashamed if I had to go to a soup kitchen or bread line as everyone needs to eat and if you cant afford food you accept what you can get.

because some people think they're above that sort of thing, you know?

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 2:06 pm

peebo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

ruveyn

because some people think they're above that sort of thing, you know?

I guess, lol I just see nothing wrong with needing food and accepting the food given to you.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 2:09 pm

then you clearly have a fairly rational approach to things.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

MarsCoban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

peebo wrote:
then you clearly have a fairly rational approach to things.

Burn her at the stake!

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 2:18 pm

ha ha ha ha wait, is that not a bit too close to cremation? surely it's an evil and satanic practice?

Adam Smith