Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 4:15 pm

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 8:14 pm

I'm against it from an ethical perspective but I still think it should be legal. I HATE the idea of pregnancy being reduced to the idea of a 'choice' though, like abortion is equally good an action as having the baby. I also hate how people who oppose abortion (nearly half of whom are women, by the way) are typecasted as sexists.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 4:56 am

Declension wrote:
I think that the wrongness of killing something is directly proportional to how intelligent it is.

Fetuses are not as intelligent as a grown human. Therefore, killing a fetus is something like killing an ape, or a dolphin. It's not very nice, but it's not murder. And you are allowed to do it in self-defense, or if letting it live would severely inconvenience you.

Great apes and dolphins have a concept of self and pass the "mirror test". Dolphins are also known to name each other.

They also develop that sense of self around the same age that a human does. However they still have a consciousness before they develop a sense of self, much as a human does.

Additionally, some individuals on the spectrum cannot pass the mirror test.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2012, 7:46 am

I think it should be legal, particularly in the case of a genetically lethal defect. I cannot imagine the emotional pain of giving birth to a child you know is going to die a painful death. I know if I were a Tay-Sachs baby I would rather die probably before I could feel pain, rather have a long lingering death for 3-to 4 years while my brain deteroriates.

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2012, 8:03 am

I think it's up to the mother decide whether giving birth is a viable option for them. I would preference adoption over abortion, but it's not my reproductive system on the line.

For a parallel in nature, Alpine Marmots induce abortions on their daughters if they would be unable to sustain their [the daughters'] pups throughout the Winter.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2012, 8:19 am

puddingmouse wrote:
I'm militantly pro-choice and I think abortion should be available on demand. That said, I don't think abortion should be legal after 21 weeks unless the mother's life is at risk. The cut-off point is 24 weeks in my country, and I think that's too late.

I've taken the morning-after pill myself, so by some people's definition, I may already have murdered a 'baby'.

I think the 24 week cut off point is because sometimes it takes that long to realize that the baby has a genetic defect. Hopefully with new methods, diagnosis will come earlier.

J05ua
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2012, 8:27 am

I'm 100% pro choice. It doesn't mean I agree with abortion in all situations, but I would never tell someone that they shouldn't be aloud it if they want it. As human beings we are free to make our own decisions and it is completely wrong for others to impose their views onto others on such personal issues.

The main weakness as humans is our tendancy to project emotions onto others. Technically speaking, until the 24 week mark (on average) the fetus is nothing more than a parasite, a formation of cells completely dependent on a host to maintain its growth and sustain its life. We as humans will often project human emotions onto the fetus, giving it characteristics and traits it doesn't truely possess; this often clouds our judgement on whether it is right or wrong to abort a fetus.

The 24 week mark (on average) is the period inwhich the fetus could technically survive outside of the mother's womb - before this period there should be no need to confuse a fetus with a baby or independently living organism.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 9:47 am

I support the right to abortion but I also think people have got to wear some damn rubber and stop spreading all these diseases around.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 1:17 pm

I'm pro choice. I don't believe in forcing women to go through unwanted pregnancy and don't want to ever have any kids myself.