Page 5 of 11 [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:08 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Jono wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
HisDivineMajesty wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
that's incorrect, so it makes me suspect the site. one of the sources he quoted for that assertion was not legitimate, and the other one didn't support his point.

As you may or may not have noticed, one source was an excerpt from the other. The estimated number of women forcibly penetrated during a 12-month period was said to be 1,270,000. The estimated number of men said to have been forced to penetrate was 1,267,000. That seems to make enough sense, although it did not measure correctly to support that claim. As there were no known figures on men being penetrated - which, admittedly, would not constitute reliable or proper figures as men are not subject to that in general terms - they used the definition for 'being forced to penetrate'. That could be considered rape.

that (bolded) does not equal nearly identical rates of rape or sexual assault for men and women, period. that is what the first article misrepresented and subsequent articles requoted. also, that study was only concerned with various types of assault and abuse between long term partners, not for men and women overall. the MRA article did not make any distinction whatsoever about that.

here are some actual facts from the original study. the penetration numbers you quoted do not exist on in these summaries, so i don't know where you got that from.

it's worthy of noting that women are over 10 times more likely to be raped by a partner in their lifetime than a man is, which is so very different from what the article is claiming. the original article's misrepresentation is pretty blatant and makes me distrustful of the site, because they are trying to changing public policy by manufacturing facts.

one article is even tagged "lying feminist scumbags" yet this article is also lying. that isn't just bad journalism, it's a rallying cry based on a deliberate misrepresentation.

what is interesting is that the same misrepresentstion is quoted over and over again in blogs and in comments on feminist articles and youtube videos, yet not one of those people bothered to do any fact-checking. you would think that ONE of them would have flagged that original article's misleading information. but apparently not.

i agree that there are some areas that need an improvement in equality between men and women (though we may disagree about which specific areas), but the MRA movement isn't helping that cause.

Sorry to dig up a month old thread but Hyperlexian, notice that the numbers you highlighted in bold to say is inaccurate, is exactly what is quoted in that study you posted the image of as proof that it was inaccurate. You just didn't read the fine print, look at it again. Instead of just looking under the category "rape", look under the heading "other sexual assault" and then look at the category "made to penetrate", there you will find the exact figure of 1,267,000 males being "forced to penetrate" that HisDivineMajesty was talking about. It is this figure that should be compared to 1,270,000 women under "rape" because the definition of "rape" in the report only defines it as "penetration by force", not including "forced to penetrate", which is included as sexual assault even though it should of also been included as "rape". Therefore, merely citing what the report cites as "rape" is actually misleading and HisDivineMajesty was correct. The figures are right there in your gif.

By the way, this thread should probably be in the PPR forum.

that is a statistic that is included in the overall percentage. you can't take one aspect of rape and state that men are just as likely to be assaulted based on that one category. that fact is that over a lifetime, women are 10 times more likely to be sexually victimised by their intimate partners than men. one subcategory doesn't make the MRA blanket statement true.

Hang on, no you are wrong. If that was included in the overall percentage of "rape" then why is there a separate category for it under "other sexual violence" and not "rape"? The "rape" figure only includes men who were penetrated orally or anally, it does not include men who were forced to penetrate someone else. If you are going to cite statistics please read the definitions. I included the that subcategory only because I did not include all the categories of "other sexual assault" as rape, just that one. One could argue that "sexual coercion" should also be included in that category, then yes there would be more women raped because that category has twice as women "sexually coerced" than men over the 12 month period but it wouldn't be as high as "10 times more likely" over that period.

Finally, yes, I should clarify that I was comparing the number victims over a 12 month period, not the estimation of victimization over a lifetime. If you are talking about the chance of victimization over a lifetime, then yes, you would still be right.

Last edited by Jono on 26 Sep 2012, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:32 am

ok, let's break it down using their language

TOTAL women raped in a lifetime: 21,840,000
TOTAL men: 1,581,000

that is more than ten times higher.

TOTAL women experiencing sexual violence*** in a lifetime: 53,174,000
TOTAL men experiencing sexual violence*** in a lifetime: 25,130,000

the rates of these 2 over the last 12 months are similar, but that is not the same thing as what the MRA are stating. they are stating:

Quote:
This public conception depends, of course, on ignoring the fact that rape is committed by women as well as men, in nearly equal numbers

***it should be noted that 'sexual violence' includes being flashed by a partner, having someone ask repeatedly for sex when they are not in the mood, being kissed when they don't feel like it, and soon. it is a broad category that is distinct from rape. so there is absolutely no way - using these same definitions and statistics - that the MRA blogs are accurately representing the data.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:37 am

hyperlexian wrote:
ok, let's break it down using their language

TOTAL women raped in a lifetime: 21,840,000
TOTAL men: 1,581,000

that is more than ten times higher.

TOTAL women experiencing sexual violence*** in a lifetime: 53,174,000
TOTAL men experiencing sexual violence*** in a lifetime: 25,130,000

the rates of these 2 over the last 12 months are similar, but that is not the same thing as what the MRA are stating. they are stating:

Quote:
This public conception depends, of course, on ignoring the fact that rape is committed by women as well as men, in nearly equal numbers

***it should be noted that 'sexual violence' includes being flashed by a partner, having someone ask repeatedly for sex when they are not in the mood, being kissed when they don't feel like it, and soon. it is a broad category that is distinct from rape. so there is absolutely no way - using these same definitions and statistics - that the MRA blogs are accurately representing the data.

See my edited post. Again, I did not include all the subcategories of "other sexual violence", only the ones that I think should actually of been considered "rape" but wasn't. I didn't read the MRA blogs. Yes, the language sounds misleading but the statistics are there. I also admitted that it was still higher for women if you look at the lifetime period, so again I was looking at the 12 month period.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:49 am

'sexual violence', even in the subcategories, is a very loose grouping that includes many activities that would not normally be considered violent. if your partner is angry and you try to kiss her, it could be considered sexual violence. that category is pretty even for the 2 genders over the last 12 months on the graph.

'rape' according to their definitions must be coercive or penetrative, so it is still widely disparate. 'rape' is the word the MRA blogs are using, and they do not qualify the time period or what should be included in the statistic.

i think that support for men in abusive relationships is spotty and sexist at best, and i think that big improvements should be made. in my personal life, i work at changing this through awareness and education. but it is counterproductive for MRA logs to misrepresent statistics, and it has resulted in a negative reaction to the blogs when they could be working to spread awareness with accurate information.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 7:13 am

hyperlexian wrote:
'sexual violence', even in the subcategories, is a very loose grouping that includes many activities that would not normally be considered violent. if your partner is angry and you try to kiss her, it could be considered sexual violence. that category is pretty even for the 2 genders over the last 12 months on the graph.

No, kissing your partner when she's angry is not included in either of the 2 subcategories of "other sexual violence" I was talking about because they both have to involve penetration of some sort.

hyperlexian wrote:
'rape' according to their definitions must be coercive or penetrative, so it is still widely disparate. 'rape' is the word the MRA blogs are using, and they do not qualify the time period or what should be included in the statistic.

i think that support for men in abusive relationships is spotty and sexist at best, and i think that big improvements should be made. in my personal life, i work at changing this through awareness and education. but it is counterproductive for MRA logs to misrepresent statistics, and it has resulted in a negative reaction to the blogs when they could be working to spread awareness with accurate information.

Hang on, so in other words, you don't agree, for example, that if a woman has sexual intercourse with man (or even if she just gives him a blowjob) while he's sleeping should not be considered rape? Because that is actually excluded in the reports definition of "rape". If they do not agree with the definition of "rape" used in the report, then they are not obliged to use that definition. Some time ago, women's groups also quoted rape statistics that included things that were not defined as "rape" at the time and like those women's groups, the MRA's want the definition to be changed.

Let's put this in perspective. Here are the actual definitions given in the report:

Quote:
Rape is defined as any completed or attempted unwanted vaginal (for women), oral, or anal penetration through the use of physical force (such as being pinned or held down, or by the use of violence) or threats to physically harm and includes times when the victim was drunk, high, drugged, or passed out and unable to consent. Rape is separated into three types, completed forced penetration, attempted forced penetration, and completed alcohol or drug facilitated penetration.
- Among women, rape includes vaginal, oral, or anal penetration by a male using his penis. It also includes vaginal or anal penetration by a male or female using their fingers or an object.
- Among men, rape includes oral or anal penetration by a male using his penis. It also includes anal penetration by a male or female using their fingers or an object.

Therefore, as I said, "rape" according to their definition does not include the scenario I gave above. The subcategories of "other sexual violence" to be included are:

Quote:
Being made to penetrate someone else includes times when the victim was made to, or there was an attempt to make them, sexually penetrate someone without the victim’s consent because the victim was physically forced (such as being pinned or held down, or by the use of violence) or threatened with physical harm, or when the victim was drunk, high, drugged, or passed out and unable to consent.
-Among women, this behavior reflects a female being made to orally penetrate another female’s vagina or anus.
-Among men, being made to penetrate someone else could have occurred in multiple ways: being made to vaginally penetrate a female using one’s own penis; orally penetrating a female’s vagina or anus; anally penetrating a male or female; or being made to receive oral sex from a male or female. It also includes female perpetrators attempting to force male victims to penetrate them, though it did not happen.

Notice the similarity of this definition to the for "rape" above. Also:

Quote:
Sexual coercion is defined as unwanted sexual penetration that occurs after a person is pressured in a nonphysical way. In NISVS, sexual coercion refers to unwanted vaginal, oral, or anal sex after being pressured in ways that included being worn down by someone who repeatedly asked for sex or showed they were unhappy; feeling pressured by being lied to, being told promises that were untrue, having someone threaten to end a relationship or spread rumors; and sexual pressure due to someone using their influence or authority.

Now, do you agree or disagree that "being made to penetrate someone else" and "sexual coercion", should of fallen under the category "rape", rather than "other sexual violence"? If you disagree then I would like to understand why. Otherwise, here is the breakdown:

Let's call rape under our own definition that would include the above subcategories. Therefore the total figures of what we would call rape are equal to their figures for:

"rape" + "made to penetrate" + "sexual coercion".

Now, unfortunately they don't provide statistics for the "made to penetrate" category for women, so for the sake of argument, we'll take that to be 0 (again, not because it doesn't happen but because there are no statistics). Similarly, there are also no statistics for men over the 12 month period under the "rape" category. So, over the 12 month period we have for women:

"Rape": 1270000 "Made to penetrate": 0 (no statistics) "Sexual coercion": 2410000

Therefore, we have in total:

1270000 + 0 + 2410000 = 3680000

For men:

"Rape": 0 (no statistics) "Made to penetrate": 1267000 "Sexual coercion": 1669000

Therefore, in total:

0 + 1267000 + 1669000 = 2936000

Therefore, under our redefinition of "rape" (as opposed to the definition used in the report), 3680000 women and 2936000 men were raped by their partners over the 12 month period. So, there are still more women but not by as much. Remember though that these figures would be different from the MRA ones because I also included a second subcategory of "other sexual violence" since I figured feminists would want that to be included as rape as well.

Now if we look at the lifetime period, then we have for women:

"Rape": 21840000 "Made to penetrate": 0 (no statistics) "Sexual coercion":15492000

In total:

For men:

"Rape": 1581000 "Made to penetrate": 5451000 "Sexual coercion": 6806000

In total:

So in summery, we have according to our redefinition of "rape":

Total number of women over the 12 month period: 3680000
Total number of men over the 12 month period: 2936000

Total number of women, in her lifetime: 37332000
Total number of men in his lifetime: 13838000

So, under the new definition, even over the lifetime period, this indicates that women are just under 3 times more likely than men to be sexually assaulted in their lifetimes, not 10 times more. That is still more women but it also still looks to me like a significant number of men. Now, if you disagree with these numbers, then I can only think that either you disagree with my redefinition or my calculations above are wrong. Which one is it?

The full report is here:

http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/NISVS_Report2010-a.pdf

26 Sep 2012, 10:10 am

The rape of adult men is extremely rare except in prisons. Most male rapes are what we would consider to be sexual abuse(since the victim is a child and more than 9 times out of 10 the abuser is a older male).

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 10:18 am

:? Why is there a pissing contest over the numbers of sexual assaults male/female? Rape is immoral and illegal full stop. It needs to be taken seriously by the authorities and legal systems. Is someone saying otherwise?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 12:34 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
The rape of adult men is extremely rare except in prisons. Most male rapes are what we would consider to be sexual abuse(since the victim is a child and more than 9 times out of 10 the abuser is a older male).

That is often quoted but all the numbers I used above were quoted directly from the CDC report which I linked to at the bottom that post. The report also excludes all the cases where the victim was a child.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm

TallyMan wrote:
:? Why is there a pissing contest over the numbers of sexual assaults male/female? Rape is immoral and illegal full stop. It needs to be taken seriously by the authorities and legal systems. Is someone saying otherwise?

I agree but this is not a "pissing contest". The reason why I replied this thread was because the original OP of this thread linked to the website of an MRA group and several people replied dismissing the group as a group of misogynists who quoted incorrect statistics. While some of the things said on that website/blog could be considered misogynistic, I was trying to show where they might of gotten their statistics from.

26 Sep 2012, 1:06 pm

Jono wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

That is often quoted but all the numbers I used above were quoted directly from the CDC report which I linked to at the bottom that post. The report also excludes all the cases where the victim was a child.

What page #? I do wonder where the stats are about men are coming from. Do these stats also exclude statutory rape where an underage boy has sex with an adult woman? I suspect that a lot of these rapes of men are taking place in prisons.

But here's the hitch Jono, you live in South Africa which is the rape capital rape of the world. In fact, I read that there were more rapes in South Africa last year than there were in the Congo! 8O So while male rape is a problem here in the US, in South Africa it has whole other level of severity. I hear that male rape is your nation is usually perpetrated against white men by black men and is done systematically to assert dominance over "the white man".

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:50 pm

Jono wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

I agree but this is not a "pissing contest". The reason why I replied this thread was because the original OP of this thread linked to the website of an MRA group and several people replied dismissing the group as a group of misogynists who quoted incorrect statistics. While some of the things said on that website/blog could be considered misogynistic, I was trying to show where they might of gotten their statistics from.

you cannot try to remove some numbers from one chart and add them to the other one, because they may be the same victims in both charts. so you are double-adding them. and even when you manipulate the numbers it still doesn't magically become an equal number of male and female victims.

i agree with TallyMan that this is a pissing contest. i work to support male victims in real life, and this sort of argument doesn't actually assist them. it's throwing around numbers when we are actually talking about human beings who could use support. so i am done with this.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 8:54 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Jono wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

What page #? I do wonder where the stats are about men are coming from. Do these stats also exclude statutory rape where an underage boy has sex with an adult woman? I suspect that a lot of these rapes of men are taking place in prisons.

On pages 18 and 19, you'll find the the 2 tables, where I got the figures. Actually, the report was specifically about intimate partner violence, so I don't think it would include prisoners either.

AspieRogue wrote:
But here's the hitch Jono, you live in South Africa which is the rape capital rape of the world. In fact, I read that there were more rapes in South Africa last year than there were in the Congo! 8O So while male rape is a problem here in the US, in South Africa it has whole other level of severity. I hear that male rape is your nation is usually perpetrated against white men by black men and is done systematically to assert dominance over "the white man".

Mostly, yes. The figure usually cited is that 1 in 3 women would get raped in her lifetime in South Africa. I'm a bit out-dated for the figures for men but the last time I heard, it was as high as 1 in 4. I don't know where heard the black vs white men because the figures include all men.

26 Sep 2012, 9:01 pm

Well Jono, I've read quit a bit about prison rape in SA which is FAR WORSE than in the US since not only are most prisoners black, but so are the prison guards and the guards set up gang rapes of whites for their own sadistic amusement. I've even heard about white men being arrested for speeding and getting buggered in jail; only to be released the next day. I'm definitely going to steer clear of South Africa for a while(no offense).

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:26 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Jono wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

you cannot try to remove some numbers from one chart and add them to the other one, because they may be the same victims in both charts. so you are double-adding them. and even when you manipulate the numbers it still doesn't magically become an equal number of male and female victims.

i agree with TallyMan that this is a pissing contest. i work to support male victims in real life, and this sort of argument doesn't actually assist them. it's throwing around numbers when we are actually talking about human beings who could use support. so i am done with this.

I apologise for going off the rails there. Just for the record, I don't actually support the group mentioned by the OP but I do think some of the complaints by MRA groups are legitimate.

Last edited by Jono on 27 Sep 2012, 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:33 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Well Jono, I've read quit a bit about prison rape in SA which is FAR WORSE than in the US since not only are most prisoners black, but so are the prison guards and the guards set up gang rapes of whites for their own sadistic amusement. I've even heard about white men being arrested for speeding and getting buggered in jail; only to be released the next day. I'm definitely going to steer clear of South Africa for a while(no offense).

You don't want to go to prison here. You are practically guaranteed to en up with HIV/AIDS if you do.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 1:41 am

Becauae of this thread.....I ended up reading PUA blogs again. Thanks for linking me to those videos which lead to PUA article again (i saw the SAME video which lead to the SAME blog like months ago)